Ergonomics - My back is killing me - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Ergonomics - My back is killing me

After an hour or so on the LT I am having serious upper back pain. I have ridden many bikes over the years including Goldwings and numerous BMWs, but have not experienced anything like this. Has anyone had a similiar problem and if so, what did you do to cure it? Would a back rest help? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulze
After an hour or so on the LT I am having serious upper back pain. I have ridden many bikes over the years including Goldwings and numerous BMWs, but have not experienced anything like this. Has anyone had a similiar problem and if so, what did you do to cure it? Would a back rest help? Thanks.
Upper back pain can be caused by many things and not just the sitting position and handlebar reach. You might want to try a Chiropractor or Osteopath before you blame the bike. Perhaps too heavy a helmet or a previous insult to the area and it shows up when riding. How long since you rode another style bike without experiencing a problem?
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:49 pm

I had the same problem when I first got my LT. I am 5'9". A friend is over 6' and he never talked about having any discomfort. Figured it could be a "size" in relation to the bike and the rider. I learned to lean forward as if I was on a sport bike then lean back like I was on a cruiser. After two years of doing this and it not really solving my problem, I purchased a BackUp back rest. I no longer have any discomfort with my back nor do I have to keep changing positions. The BackUp doesn't require any mods to either rider or passenger seat and is adjustable as far as up/down and forward/back positioning. There is another back rest out that you have to bolt on the rider seat. Can't talk about it, never tried it.

Bob Sellers
Blue Bee-atch
"We're not there yet, are we?"

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulze
I know what you are referring to. A backrest does help because it will reduce the stress on your back by allowing you to relax somewhat. So far I have added the Suburban Peg Lowering Kit, The Extended J-Pegs and a Backup Backrest to help find the sweet spot in comfort. With variance in arm length and rider heights, I am surprised that the BMW LT was not designed with adjustable handlebars. That would definitely make it the ultimate driving machine.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:59 pm

The BakUp backrest is a wonderful addition to the LT, regardless of your current comfort level. Also, the handlebars are adjustable. (Ask anyone that attended the Ohio Tech Session. I adjusted Uncle Rock's bars.) Try a different position.

HTH
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The BakUp backrest is a wonderful addition to the LT, regardless of your current comfort level. Also, the handlebars are adjustable. (Ask anyone that attended the Ohio Tech Session. I adjusted Uncle Rock's bars.) Try a different position.

HTH
Is the procedure for adjusting the handlebars written down somewhere? This is the first I have heard that they can be adjusted. I was told they could not be by a BMW master tech. Interested in knowing the procedure.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:14 pm

Post Per your request...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
Is the procedure for adjusting the handlebars written down somewhere? This is the first I have heard that they can be adjusted. I was told they could not be by a BMW master tech. Interested in knowing the procedure.
This is from memory...don't get mad at me if it's not exact.
  1. Remove upper handlebar trim pieces-parts, left and right (2 Allen screws underneath)
  2. Remove trim piece around ignition (4 big Phillips screws)
  3. Loosen handlebar clamps (4 Allen screws)
  4. Adjust
  5. Reinstall in reverse order
If the trim doesn't go back on easily, you've adjusted them too far. Also, before reinstalling the trim pieces-parts, swing the bar to full-lock each direction to make sure you're not hitting anything.

HTH
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:16 pm

Exclamation Oh...and another thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
I was told they could not be by a BMW master tech.
Over 300 posts, and you still don't know that we know more about these bikes than those Yo-Yo's!
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:26 pm

The manual has the procedure (Section 32.00 - Steering). Thereís also some info in http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 2:20 pm

About 10 hours into a ride I was experiencing eggsackry what you speak. Excruciating. This was after I lost 40lbs. Deductive reasoning, which hardly ever applies to my life, dictated that core support was gone where once it was.

The stomache muscles are the most crucial muscles for the back and I can do crunches with the best of them. Sucking in the stomache and holding it created almost instant relief. The thought of doing that for several thousand miles created instant angst.

I staggered into a Wally World and purchased a back belt. Seperating the discs via pressure is a beautiful thang.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 2:21 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Over 300 posts, and you still don't know that we know more about these bikes than those Yo-Yo's!
With 300 or 8000 post each day is a learning experience. Based on what I read the adjustments are up or down. Every little bit helps but I still wish they had some forward/back adjustment. Thanks for sharing

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 3:20 pm

BSellers said, "There is another back rest out that you have to bolt on the rider seat. Can't talk about it, never tried it."

I am one of the handful of LT list members who have tried the Utopia backrest; if you used to ride a Gold Wing you're probably familiar with it. The installation on the LT is more involved than the GW application, and it is certainly more complicated than the BakUp's bolts-right-on approach but it offers (IMHO) four advantages:

1. It's less expensive (leaving more change in your pocket to buy other LT accessories).

2. It's different. It seems like EVERYONE has a BakUp.

3. I believe it offers a greater range of adjustment (up and down) than the BakUp. It's possible to position the Utopia very high if that's where you need the support. I like mine fairly low so personally it's not a big issue.

4. The Utopia has a sliding bar hi-lo adjustment (in addition to the vertical adjustment with a hex wrench), to match the LT's adjustable seat. For example, I have my Utopia set with the pad just above the back of the driver's seat. If I decide to drop my seat to the lower setting, my backrest (mounted to the passenger seat) is now too high. No problemo, just press the backrest down into the "low" position (a ball spring detent holds it in place) and the backrest is properly adjusted.

I have sat on an LT with a BakUp but have not ridden with one. I know that long trips on my LT are much more comfortable with the Utopia.

I posted some installation photos on the Ergonomics forum if you want to know more, or send me a PM.

No affiliation w/ Utopia.
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 7:33 pm

I too have back probs due to a herniated disc and the back rest made a lot of difference. The other item I use is a riding belt, brand name Back-A-Line. There are others I'am sure. Good luck, back probs arre no fun.
post #14 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:32 pm

Sore back.

Greetings Mr Schulze.

I too had similar pain after living many years of my riding life on an '83 K100 with their learning forward riding position. When I finally ascended to the LT with its substantially more upright riding position, I was surprised how much more the road bumps get transmitted through to your spine. I figured this was because when you're learning forward, your spine is more flexable and able to absorb the road shocks better than when it is more vertically orientated as it is when on the LT. I've now learnt to learn forward a little more with great results. Perhaps adjusting those bars might help as well.

Good luck and keep wriggling in the saddle until you find the sweet spot.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:40 am

Talking Backrest Alternative if you like to tinker

My wife is looking at getting a Suzuki Bergman 650. So, I have spent the last two nights on the BurgmanUSA site (similar to this one, just not as cool...) Anyway, one of the BurgmanUSA members has a neat little mod using a headrest from a junk yard as a back rest. Thought it was quite cool for the tinkering types out there.

http://burgmanusa.com/ipw-web/bullet...ic.php?t=13933

Bob Sellers
Blue Bee-atch
"We're not there yet, are we?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in