Another new LT owner! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Another new LT owner!

Hi,

I just wanted to say "hi" as I bought my first BMW a few days ago and am now a member of this forum. As a new LT owner, you'd think I may have a few questions...... but I don't.

Before buying my 2003 K1200LT, I spent hours on this site reading all I could. I searched and searched and found the answers to any questions I could think of before making the purchase. All I can say is "Thank You" for having such an outstanding site and such high quality members.

I have been on other sites (not BMW) where it seems the members only purpose is to put down or attack others. I did not see that here. What I did see is a community of riders who want to help other BMW owners. Very refreshing.

Yep, changing my spark plugs and air filter is going to be a bit more involved than any other bike I've owned. Also never had a bike make "cow bell" sounds (btw, new rotor/pads on order right now). If my FD goes out, I consider myself warned and will not be shocked or upset, same with my dry clutch if it becomes a wet clutch!

This site has prepared me for the worst and also taught me how to do routine maintenance without spending a ton by going to the dealer for everything. Changed the FD oil last night. The motor and transmission will be today.

I think I made a great choice by buying this bike and can't stop smiling when I ride it. I've already received a few comments from others while fueling up (42 mpg combined city/freeway).

If anyone is in the Portland, OR or Vancouver, WA area and wants to do some riding let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00V0V_kmUX4IkrSax_600x450.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	60498   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	60506   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	60514  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Garage
Re: Another new LT owner!

WOW, I can't believe this. I was going to look at that very bike you bought if the bike I got did not work out. I drove down to Vancouver to buy the Canyon Red 2000 that was in Oregon, you may have seen it, it had arm rests, cup holder, etc.
Congrats on the new bike, it looked real good and the Unigo trailer is a great addition.
I got mine a week ago and I love this thing. I am up in Tacoma/Olympia area. First thing I did was wave good-bye to my wife and headed out to Astoria for a nice ride.
Be sure to check out the Youtube videos by the Illinois BMW Club, there is a ton of great videos on how to do all the things that you need to do on this bike. Also great that you researched here before buying, I did too. It prepared you for what this bike offers and you can deal with the problems if they come.
If you ever want to do some riding, I don't mind going that way. I plan to do a trip around Eastern Oregon this summer and could give you a shout when I get the date figured out.
Anyway, congrats on the new bike.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 8:28 pm

Thumbs up Re: Another new LT owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlrrp View Post
Hi,

I just wanted to say "hi" as I bought my first BMW a few days ago and am now a member of this forum. As a new LT owner, you'd think I may have a few questions...... but I don't.

Before buying my 2003 K1200LT, I spent hours on this site reading all I could. I searched and searched and found the answers to any questions I could think of before making the purchase. All I can say is "Thank You" for having such an outstanding site and such high quality members.

I have been on other sites (not BMW) where it seems the members only purpose is to put down or attack others. I did not see that here. What I did see is a community of riders who want to help other BMW owners. Very refreshing.

Yep, changing my spark plugs and air filter is going to be a bit more involved than any other bike I've owned. Also never had a bike make "cow bell" sounds (btw, new rotor/pads on order right now). If my FD goes out, I consider myself warned and will not be shocked or upset, same with my dry clutch if it becomes a wet clutch!

This site has prepared me for the worst and also taught me how to do routine maintenance without spending a ton by going to the dealer for everything. Changed the FD oil last night. The motor and transmission will be today.

I think I made a great choice by buying this bike and can't stop smiling when I ride it. I've already received a few comments from others while fueling up (42 mpg combined city/freeway).

If anyone is in the Portland, OR or Vancouver, WA area and wants to do some riding let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Welcome.........I too am impressed with the help on this forum. I've had a smile for awhile now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
WOW, I can't believe this. I was going to look at that very bike you bought if the bike I got did not work out. I drove down to Vancouver to buy the Canyon Red 2000 that was in Oregon, you may have seen it, it had arm rests, cup holder, etc.
Congrats on the new bike, it looked real good and the Unigo trailer is a great addition.
I got mine a week ago and I love this thing. I am up in Tacoma/Olympia area. First thing I did was wave good-bye to my wife and headed out to Astoria for a nice ride.
Be sure to check out the Youtube videos by the Illinois BMW Club, there is a ton of great videos on how to do all the things that you need to do on this bike. Also great that you researched here before buying, I did too. It prepared you for what this bike offers and you can deal with the problems if they come.
If you ever want to do some riding, I don't mind going that way. I plan to do a trip around Eastern Oregon this summer and could give you a shout when I get the date figured out.
Anyway, congrats on the new bike.
Hi,

Yes, I did see the bike you bought advertised and I was interested in it. I think it was the fact that this bike was very close to me and the trailer that made me go look at it first. Funny

It would be nice to do some riding together so if you have something planned, let me know and maybe I can work it in to my schedule. I'll send you my contact info.

I just finished changing the motor, transmission and final drive oil. Much darker than I would have liked so it looks like the previous owner didn't keep up on that. On the plus side, there were no metal shavings stuck to the magnetic drain plugs This winter I will take it apart and do the air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs. I suspect they need to be changed as well.

If you are down this way let me know!

Chris
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 1:04 am Thread Starter

Spent about thirty minutes today trying to disconnect the air box temp sensor wire without removing the plastic. Finally got it, but it wasn't easy. Then I started reading a bit more about it on this forum and discovered on my 2003 I should cut the brown wire, not unplug the sensor (and definitely not do both).

Just spent forty-five minutes reconnecting the air box temp sensor (really not easy) and then cutting the brown wire. Lesson learned....

Looking forward to riding it tomorrow to see if I can notice a difference in this 85-90 degree weather. Worst case, I can always put the brown wire back together again.

Oh, topped the rear shock preload adjuster up with hydraulic jack oil today and now it works correctly. Before the adjustment wheel turned a number of times before I felt any resistance.
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 7:02 am

Good luck and ride safe
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 7:24 pm
Super Moderator

That is one really nice looking bike . . .

I had a green one (2002) and now a black one (2009) and I am sure you will
get more and more compliments

I have a Unigo as well and it was green but now it is black - go figure!!
Only hassle is when changing tires you need to take off the hitch!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Dan,

Thanks for mentioning the hitch needing to be removed to change the rear tire. I hadn't even considered that and I will be changing out my rear rotor and brake pads next week. I've been watching videos and reading all I can, but now I better look at how the hitch is attached and how to remove it.

Chris
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Welcome to this forum. Very nice bike you got here

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Welcome to the fold, brother! I've been an Eltee pilot for fifteen years now; I still have a '99 and I still love it every bit as much as I did when I rode my first one new off the showroom floor in Boca Raton in 1999.

I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years and, despite its definite quirks, nothing I've sat astride can match the smoothness, luxury, and fun of my Lorelei.

Keep the shiny side up!

Gregory Pius
Portland, Oregon
'99 Canyon Red K1200LT Lorelei

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in