Over done Tire question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 10:52 am Thread Starter

Over done Tire question

I know the ZR rating on the big lady is a no no...but has anyone tried a 120/70/ZR17 for a front wheel application?

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Re: Over done Tire question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker View Post
I know the ZR rating on the big lady is a no no...but has anyone tried a 120/70/ZR17 for a front wheel application?
Hey, Bud - how you be?? Long time no chat. You asked if anyone tried the 120/70/ZR17 tire for the front - I haven't, butt you want an opinion? Mine? Don't do it. Least not with Lori on the back. After model year '05, the radial ply tires aren't spec'd for the LT (they were for the ''99 to '04) due to a change in the steering geometry - now the call by folks in the bidness is for Bias ply. And not only that, butt the weight and speed rating for the recommended front tire fitment is 58V (not sure what the weight rating is for the tire you referenced).

Good luck, Woody; stay tuned for others to chime in. You take care, and best always.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Its been a long time since I did any KLT tire research, so we're dusting off the memory banks here:
The change in steering geometry (started with the 05 model IIRC) was to improve slow speed handling. This change was at the expense of high speed stability (one reason why I like the pre-05 models).

With the 05 model owners started reporting more front end wobble, etc. (I think the newer bikes had greater sensitivity to tire balance and other tracking factors.)

And with that rake change, BMW's recommendation for tires switched from radial tires to exclusively bias ply. (do I still have this correct? Somebody correct me if I'm off base please.)

So load rating aside, IMO it makes sense to pay attention to both the bike's manufacturer's and the tire manufacturer's recommendations.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Talking Re: Over done Tire question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker View Post
Yes ! I installed the Bridgestone BattleAx BT023F 120/70-ZR17 on my front about 1000 miles ago. It handles good , corners good, rides great. I'll probably go with an Avon or Michelin when the rear needs replacing. My bike is a '99. It was $110 with free shipping on Amazon & $20 install at a local shop. That was with the wheel off the bike.
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Hey, Bud - how you be?? Long time no chat. You asked if anyone tried the 120/70/ZR17 tire for the front - I haven't, butt you want an opinion? Mine? Don't do it. Least not with Lori on the back. After model year '05, the radial ply tires aren't spec'd for the LT (they were for the ''99 to '04) due to a change in the steering geometry - now the call by folks in the bidness is for Bias ply. And not only that, butt the weight and speed rating for the recommended front tire fitment is 58V (not sure what the weight rating is for the tire you referenced).

Good luck, Woody; stay tuned for others to chime in. You take care, and best always.
As always Dick...thanks for the info.
I was thinking that the info you gave was what I thought might be the case. I was being lured by the low cost and being rather frugal these days, very tempted.
As far as the state of my condition...I be great! Just broke as always but aren't we all...LOL . I was on Social Security Disability for a minute but couldn't survive the financial, so...back to work. How you been? I was really hopin to get to the CCR this year but still recovering from the S.S. ordeal. One of these days the stars will line up and I'll make it back. I miss you guys!

Anyway, thanks all for the info and as usual I'm goin with the gut and spendin the money and getin the right tire. Damn it!

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #6 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 7:34 am

I put a Michelin Pilot on the front back in the middle of May. It's worn out now and I'm replacing it with a Metzeler this morning...............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 8:34 am

Woody, I agree with Seņor Dick on this one. Get the right tire, right ratings, and definitely bias if 2005+.

I posted yesterday on my Metzeler search and the pricing and July rebate I found.

I was going to put a Metz in the rear and Battlax up front, but with the rebate the Metz pair was a better buy. YMMV.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 8:53 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Hi Woody, glad to see you around.
Not about tires, sorry.
Just to say your great little bell is still hanging in there
and doing great stuff.
Many thanks.
Cheers
Rena and Hilton

ps Tires are an investment in your safety.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in