New LT owner.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage
New LT owner..

Hi all,

Just picked up an 03 K1200LT. My first cruiser. 56K miles, good condition overall. Been studying & researching this site for a week or so.
i-ABS tests and works fine (original brake lines), final drive seems to be working fine, metal gas line disconnects, runs great. It was sold by BMW of Louisville, KY two years ago. Need to call them and hopefully obtain some type of service history. Only 900 miles since that sale and my purchase. I think it was too tall for the previous owners. Last guy owned it for two weeks. He was on the way to the license bureau to get registered when he was lightly tapped from behind at a stop sign. I bought it a couple days later.

Things in need of repair.

BMW 2000 professional Becker radio system, 6 CD changer. Circuit board got wet thru buttons on stingray (fancy lingo already). Did some research on this. Will probably go without and remove radio system.

Rusty caliper and disc bolts. Treat rust,clean and paint.

Previous owner was rear ended at a stop sign. Speed was very slow, just enough to do slight damage to a saddle bag and the middle "tupperware". Purchased used replacements, need to have them painted. PO was on the shorter side and layed the bike down on the process. Slight bend in engine cover bar and brake pedal. Easy fixes.

Steering damper needs fluid & seal.

Slight oil weep near water pump. Researching that soon.

Fluid changes - Oil, coolant, final drive.

Getting close to 50 years on motorcycles now (wow, wierd to type that). First mini bike at age 6. I perform 95% of all maintenance needs on my bikes. Certified mechanic and an A&P.

No brand preference. I like them all. Prefer something unique and/or classic.
Current rides - 1974 CB750K4, 1961 Pan/Shovel. Triumph 650 Tiger and a H2 in the basement on the "to do" list.

Regards, Ken

Crummy pic but here's the newest addition to the family!

Current rides..

To be completed..

And finally me on my Triumph some 30 years ago! Traded a CB750, CB350 and a 74 Elsinore 125 for this and an Old Harley while attending AMI in Daytona..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 11:23 pm

Garage
Re: New LT owner..

Welcome, looks like a good bike you got. I just got mine a week ago. Its good that you researched before buying, knowledge about these is real good as they are unique and not Japanese.
I removed my radio and love the extra space, I have a Star Com 1 system and can do MP3s in the helmet.
BTW where are you at?
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks Mopar.
Had a 69 roadrunner back in the late 70's. Was a little rough but had factory 383 mag,4 sp, Dana posi. Regret parting ways with that one. Was really fun while it lasted though.

Pretty sure I'll go with that type of sound system & comm.
I'll be going thru the bike to make sure everything is mechanically sound. Currently doing fluid changes & detail type work - replacing neglected well nuts, cleaning up fasteners, etc..
Finding lots of great info on this site.
Downloaded the factory service manual. BMW did a pretty good job putting that together. Need to get a Clymers and owners manual.

I'm in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati.

Regards, Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Garage

I can relate, I am doing all of those things also, even though mine came in near perfect condition, I still want to replace all the fluids and do a good check to be sure it will stay running reliably.
Looks like you have the skills required to deal with this bike. Nice collection of current and former bikes. I love the classics, I have an 82 Honda Goldwing GL1100I also, but I need to sell it, no space for 2. As cool as the classics are, a modern bike is just so much better to ride everyday than a 30+ year old bike, they need a lot of tinkering and parts are a bit more challenging (but not impossible) to get. I can still keep the old girl running, but every time I need something I have to go to the internet and order the parts and wait.
Good luck with your LT, there is a ton of info here and on You Tube. Watch the Illinois BMW club videos, he takes the mystery out of working on these things and makes it simple. These bikes can be daunting, but he just shows the simple easy way to do stuff and is worth the time to watch.
Have fun with it, I love my new LT and I am sure you will love yours.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks again..
I built that Harley above and updated the dated mechanical items - electronic ignition, high flow oil pump & solid state generator. Very dependable now and no oil leaks! Fun to ride with the foot clutch & hand shift. Fires on first kick 90% of the time. No for everyone but I love it.
Even though the Honda is 40 yrs old, it is a Honda. I've maintained it well over the years. Few issues here and there but nothing unexpected. Engine has never been out of the bike, original clutch, on and on. Butter smooth. I enjoy keeping these oldies on the road.

Just filled the fluid in my damper after watching the Illinois video. He does do a good job explaining, no BS, gets the job done.

Regards, Ken

Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR125Honda View Post
I'm in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati.

Regards, Ken
Hey Ken - We're neighbors. Welcome to the forum - I've learned a lot here.

Jim

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 6:55 pm

I just jumped in to the BMW world about 6 weeks ago on a 07 LT. Really liking this bike.

Ken
El Paso Texas

2007 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in