Man!! NEVER want to do that AGAIN! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Man!! NEVER want to do that AGAIN!

I officially belong to the LT droppers club(can't remember the correct acronym or name).

Besides my back killing me....and I am GLAD the garage door was closed and noone saw or heard anything, My pride is STILL intact.

Obviously, having stated the garage door was closed, I was home and stationary during the fall.

I was attempting to put her on the center stand(if I leave her on the sidestand afraid she will smoke at startup like my RT does.) So, I had the center stand down and I was leaning it to the right waiting for that comfortable feel of both sides of the centerstand touching the ground before YANKING the heifer backwards. I got the feeling and then I usually have a rocking back and forth and get her to go on the stand about the 2-3x. (there has got to be an easier way...all my other bikes NO problem, all power downward from the leg and little pull from your arms...I know I know) She started going to the right and I knew there was no hope. Slow motion set in and I said "NNNNNnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo" as she fell into my Grill then knocking it backward on its casters(it is 225# and as big as Infinite) and then she layed there and rocked for a second or two. Immediately I went around and ATTEMPTED the lift upwards. Felt the pain IMMEDIATELY in my back...and was very upset.

My 4yo in the doorway saying "I DIDN'T DO IT DADDY!!!!" and then "You did it, you weren't paying attention!!"

So, that didn't help things. I then remembered JUST reading a thread on picking up the LT, so I came back in here and found it. I then went back and since it was on the "passenger" side, I was afraid to really grab that Luggage handle, it being plastic and all.

I said the hell with it, and did it. I got down butt against edge of seat and Lifted...I couldn't get her up....then for some reason I concentrated and stared at my legs as if TOTAL Concentration on USING THEM...and she came up nice and slow.... I then went to set her on her side stand.......I FORGOT I PUT IT UP.....and DOWN SHE WENT!!! (Just kidding...)

So, now that she was up and righted, I did a Damage check....and NOTHING to really speak of. The motolight mounted under tipover wing had a little scuff and where the back of the bike hit the grill, it pushed my CB antenna against the topcase leaving a little black scuff from the antenna plastic...but it wiped off.

Infinite is good as new....now that I got my First Drop Jitters down...maybe I can pull my head out of my tail and in the words of a famous female I will "learn to pay attention"

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:20 pm

My 05 has the power lift center stand. I can't imagine pulling that big pig up by hand. My back was the worst thing damaged when mine went down. I hurt it trying to keep it upright. Some guy sitting on a bus stop bench ran over and helped me get it up.

Tony 05
post #3 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:24 pm

Bill,

Glad you got 'er back on her feet....

Sounds like you need some help with the technique of getting her on the center stand. I am no expert and haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn for a while, but....

It sounds like you are doing what I used to do with the jerking - used to hurt my back and arms. Fortunately it can be done and quite easy. I'll try and describe, maybe it will help....
  1. put the beast in nuetral
  2. left hand on the handle bar
  3. right hand on the lift bar under seat
  4. make sure both feet of centersatnd are in contact with the ground
  5. make sure the 'pedal' is in the center of the ball area of my right foot
  6. press down firmly with my right foot while lifting my left foot off the ground.
    1. The trick here, for me, is I have to be close to the bike and have as much of my weight as possible over my right foot. If I stand to far away, I hurt my back; if I don't have my weight over my right foot I end up trying to jerk 850+lbs up... ouch!
  7. hand holds basically just balance me & the beast
When I do this right, the thing literally leaps up - I am not kidding! You'll think you were lucky you didn't fling her over!

I am sure others will chime in with more tips & techniques...

post #4 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
When I do this right, the thing literally leaps up - I am not kidding! You'll think you were lucky you didn't fling her over!...

Leaps Up, I am sorry...but I feel Richard Simmons is the only one seeing 850# Pigs Leaping around....

I have tried this, I have been riding bikes since I was 4yrs old, I have put MANY a bike on the center stand....and You are VERY correct in your technique....however...I have raised and lowered her about 5x tonight since the Gravity class I had. Since I have faith in the sidebag handle...I tried using it, and she went up a LOT easier.

Can I get the Hydraulic/electric/whatever...centerstand as an Aftermarket part?

If so, I am ALL FOR IT!!

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #5 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
So, I had the center stand down and I was leaning it to the right waiting for that comfortable feel of both sides of the centerstand touching the ground before YANKING the heifer backwards.
Yes, the LT takes more effort to put it on the centerstand...but not much more. I find that 90% of my force is still downward...with very little "yanking backwards" to be done.
post #6 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Maybe Yanking isnt the right word...haha.

Typically I will push downward and get her to the apex of her height before she rocks back on the center...and JUST about get her there...then we rock back forward....and then we go back again....just ABOUT getting her to plateau onto the stand....and then back forward we go again...and then the 3rd time is ALWAYS a charm. However, tonight when I used the center and luggage handle...she went RIGHT up. 1st time. So, I did it 2more times and YUP. HOWEVER, that Pig was DEFINITELY NOT leaping backwards.

I keep replaying it over and over in my mind...and she literally layed over MUCH like one of our horses....she kinda just leaaaaned over and plopped.

Last time I have ever seen something that stiff just fall over...he had my X26 Taser in his thigh.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name

Last edited by pieceofficer; Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:49 pm.
post #7 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:01 am

Maybe I just need to lose some weight but I can get my LT on the center stand just by stepping down on the center stand pedal. No hands.
post #8 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:40 am

I found that my '02 was getting harder to put on the center stand ----- and then I put a set of Ohlin's on her---WOW-no effort at all now. I think that the shocks tend to "sag" as they age, and even 1/4 inch will make a huge difference.
post #9 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 2:10 am

Paperback book

I don't use the center stand in my garage as i've usually got a fairly good supply of paperback books that get fully depreciated after awhile and then tossed.
post #10 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 5:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Leaps Up, I am sorry...but I feel Richard Simmons is the only one seeing 850# Pigs Leaping around...
Thanks. Appreciate that. Breakfast cereal all over my monitor. That's funny!

I have the power center stand on my '05 LT. Have never tried doing it manually but think I will so I can, just in case... I've seen it demonstrated and it doesn't appear to be a big deal, but then I haven't tried it.

Welcome to Droppers Anonymous. I'm Member #7,456.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I have the power center stand on my '05 LT. Have never tried doing it manually but think I will so I can, just in case... I've seen it demonstrated and it doesn't appear to be a big deal, but then I haven't tried it.
The redesign of the "New & Improved" ( ) centerstand makes trying it manually an impossible task.
post #12 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 7:29 am

Bismarck down....

Ah Bill, I'm so glad that you and your LT are OK. I too, lost a seconds concentration when I was actually sitting on my LT, rolling her off its centrestand in the garage and miss calculated her weight before she had a gravity attack on me. I was lucky enough to be able to gently guide her down to a smooth touchdown before I employed "the LT lifting technique". It works a treat hey!

The really good news here is that for a week I was the latest bozo to drop his LT...now you are. Thanks mate! Those black bumper strips work so well don't they! Lucky for us alright otherwise these beasts would really suffer some damage. So until someone else confesses to dropping theirs, you're the man!

Cheers to all and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #13 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGKILLER
Some guy sitting on a bus stop bench ran over and helped me get it up.
Did you at least whisper sweet nothings in his ear first, maybe a kiss on the cheek....hopefully he was gentle and kind! Did you get his name for future 'encounters'?

LOL

F
post #14 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 8:49 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
I officially belong to the LT droppers club(can't remember the correct acronym or name). ....

Besides my back killing me....and I am GLAD the garage door was closed and noone saw or heard anything, My pride is STILL intact.....
Howdy Bill,

Your published admission aside, that club would be the Droppers Anonymous.

Sorry to hear about back pain.

In addition to the technique of lifting the bike onto the center stand I would add this:
If your shocks are original, try cranking up the pre-load. It will raise the height of the bike and decrease the effort to lift it onto the center stand.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #15 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:17 am

Thumbs up Electric Center Stand

Quote:
Can I get the Hydraulic/electric/whatever...centerstand as an Aftermarket part?
If so, I am ALL FOR IT!!
Do a search on electric center stand and you should see a number of threads.

There's a place in TN that does trike conversions and someone sells the center stands on e-Bay (see http://tinyurl.com/ru58b).

Beady

Last edited by VickyBeads; Jun 23rd, 2006 at 9:21 am. Reason: Added e-Bay Link
post #16 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:20 am

Crank up the preload

That will definately help getting her up on the centerstand.

That being said, the pedal on the centerstand is a lever, so the more weight you can put down on it the easier it'll come up on the stand.

It's more about piling all your weight on the centerstand pedal than anything else..

Now for the pickup... It's more about putting your butt against the seat and pushing with your legs, knees bent slightly. You're not picking her up, you're rolling her back up on her feet.. you walk her up with your legs and your back really doesn't get all that much involved in the lift....

Hope that helps.. It's fun isn't it....Welcome to the D.A.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #17 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Shocks....Preload...hmmm... Since you all bring it up..

My bike has 40K on it, and its an 03. I am 2nd owner and never met the first owner. I bought it at the Denver BMW dealer.

I don't know if the previous owner was overweight, if he rode two up with another overweight significant other..(not trying to be mean..just don't know)
All I do know is he rode the heck outta her the last 2yrs(according to service manual) So, I am not sure if the shocks are any good or not.

I know on my RT I never had a problem. I very rarely rode 2up. I did do a LOT of riding(4corners) and had a nice size load with me. But the shocks even at 65K were fine.

Now, the LT, I know it is a critter all it's own. But still not sure how to tell if they are bad. I do notice a LOT of flaws in the roadway as I drive. So, not sure if you all notice it the same, or if infact it is the shocks.

I DO know it is a serious repair bill if I need to replace them.

Is there a test like on a car, if the shocks are bad and you push down on the fender and it bounces up and down, you know they are bad?

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #18 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:59 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Shocks....Preload...hmmm... Since you all bring it up..
Is there a test like on a car, if the shocks are bad and you push down on the fender and it bounces up and down, you know they are bad?
Shocks, unless they have a broken seal, or other outside damage, do not appear broken to the eye. The inner seals can be worn and therefore not function at "the level" that the user wants.

Sure, the bounce up and down test will tell you they are soft, or firm, or somewhere in between. But what is right for you is totally up to you.

For me and the way I ride the LT, my stock shocks fell bellow the level of performance that I require at 12K miles. Out comes the wallet and on go the Ohlins. Haven't regretted it a second.

If you like the ride and increasing the preload helps, then keep 'em.

Next time you get with a group of LT's, ask around if one the bikes has Ohlins, or Wilburs, and see if you can trade bikes for a short ride.

I could give you a black or white opinion, but it really is a personal choice.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #19 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:37 pm
kip

center stand

took me a few practices to first get the big girl to go up on the center stand.....got a buddy over here to stand on the other side while i tried variations....ultimately though...just like they say.....i had to learn to let her up easy.....because when it works right it just pops right up....

one thing....i recently had to rebuild my rear drive.....and when i put it back together and correctly torqued everything i noticed that it required more than usual to get her back up on the center stand.....

however ....a couple of weeks into it and it seems like its back to how it was before.....

i may have just gotten weaker or lighter or something due to not being able to ride for about 2 weeks while i had it all apart.....

anyhow.....if you are lifting at all with your right hand.....or pulling back....something just isnt right.....there just shouldnt be any lifting required at all.....with your hands

one other thing though.....i have ohlins shocks and i have heard that it is alot easier with them than with the stock ones.....so that could be a contributor too.....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #20 of 28 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:02 am

In my garage I run the front tire onto a 1/2 thick rubber mat and it is MUCH easier to pop the beast onto the center stand. I discovered this by acident one day and have used it ever since. Now if i could keep on ein my parking spot at work I would be all set
I did drop the bike in the garage one time, I tried to follow the manual instructions for getting the bike OFF of the stand. It's a load of BS.
I always sit on the bike and rock froward after that little episode.
post #21 of 28 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Quote:
I attended a riding class and they talked about suspension and getting it set into the 'optimal' range.. I don't quite understand the travel part optimal adjustment but there is a measurement associated with the condition of the rear shock called 'stiction'... . This takes a few people to do because you need to 'lift' the bike.

So here it goes.. I'm sure this will generate some discussion..

Rear Suspension measurement:
  1. Measure the suspension fully extended.. from the bottom of the bag at a measurable place to a place on the rear end.. You can put it on the centerstand.. (Record the measurement in mm as L1)
  2. Measure from the same point on the bag or the same measurable place you measured the full travel to the rear end.. With the rider on board push down on the back and let the suspension raise the bike to it's normal position. (Record the measurement in mm as L2)
  3. Measure from the same point on the bag or the same measurable place you measured the full travel to the rear end.. With the rider on board Lift up and let the bike sag to it's normal position. (Record the measurement in mm as L3)
Static spring sag is half was between L2 and L3 minus L1. You ca use this formula Static Spring Sag = L1 - [(L2+L3)/2]

This is the fuzzy optimal that I don't quite understand..

Knowing that measurement for a street bike you should have 30-35mm travel and your total travel should be 28 - 33 % of that to be considered optimal.. (i.e. adjust your preload setting to this window to get you on the sweet spot of the bikes suspension).

This seems pretty easy to understand..

Now stiction (or mechanical condition) = L3-L2

Rear suspension evaluation

Good Condition = 3mm
Poor Condition = 10mm

OK my bike

L1 = 22mm
L2 = 16.5mm
L3 = 16.5mm

My evaluation is that I have less than 3mm between sag and support so my rear shock is good....

BTW.. I always find it easier to put the bike on the centerstand with new tires.. I do it every day. Some days it's easier than others.. YMWV

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #22 of 28 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 8:39 am

another option

If getting it up the center stand is difficult the shock needs something. Preload adjust is the first. Second is the preload itself could be low on fluid. You can easily remedy that and the instructions are here somewhere. Another is to run your rear wheel up on a 2x4. It will jump/leap right up there for you then.
If you decide to go with Ohlins or other shocks let me know and I will help you install them. I am in Denver and have changed out three sets, two of my own. Not all that hard to do just time consuming. A lot of $ saved by doing it yourself. Not sure but the dealer probably wants 4 hours labor at least. We can do it in 4 together.
post #23 of 28 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Will see what I can do

Ok, EVERYONE says it is easy to get her up on the center stand. I will adjust some things tonight when I get back home.

Anyway.. Friday, I loaded the bike up with about maybe...maybe 100# worth of gear in the trunks and on the pillion seat. Then I got on the bike and attempted to Rock it forward off the center stand....OMG!! I had to try like 5X.. I am 190# so, not tiny...just not sure what the heck I am doing wrong here. Well anyway, I got her on the road and when I got to work(100Miles later) I also found that she is hard to park on the side of the road due to the roads in the town being very "bowed" for water run-off.

I am worried about the front end wobble. With the added weight and coasting up to a red light...it is VERY noticeable...almost making me uneasy. Then at a dead stop you can wiggle the handlebars back and forth in a short/quick fashion and feel the front tire flex pretty good.

I have been told by some on here that it is the steering damper.

All I know is I would love for a local rider that is experienced on the LT to come take my bike for a ride (short/long, don't care) and report back to me about any issues, or am I just to Sensitive and being irrational.

Also, both front and rear brakes squeak awful...I am going to order new brakes...any suggesitions on brand?

AND last but not least... When you shift the LT is it supposed to "clunk" into gear? It doesn't grind, just clunks into gear.

I have to ride back in about an hour 100miles, with the same load, I have adjusted that little dial on the clutch lever to see if maybe disengaging the clutch a little further will relieve the clunk. I will also adjust the preload before the ride back and see if that is any different.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #24 of 28 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Paris,

What is the cost of replacement with Ohlins and others? If you know off the top of your head, if not I can do some research. I would love to learn how to do it, so if replacing them is the answer...then count on it.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #25 of 28 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
one other thing though.....i have ohlins shocks and i have heard that it is alot easier with them than with the stock ones.....so that could be a contributor too.....
I too have Ohlins on my LT, came that way from the previous owner. I went back to standard shocks to get the Ohlins rebuilt. It did take a little more step down effort to get the bike up on the centerstand, but no jerking or lifting to get it there. JM2CW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #26 of 28 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Here is where I am

Ok,
on the preload under the seat, I noticed that it was down to the last line. I then cranked it down to where it was seated. I didn't feel any different a ride home, I also didn't see any difference getting it on the center stand. I had a 2" block of wood that I used to put my trailer jack on, I drove up on it, and then attempted the center stand, and it was quite easy. So, till I can rob a bank, find a loot o'cash, or start mowing yards on the weekend...this process will have to work until I get the Ohlins.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #27 of 28 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:10 pm

"I did'nt do it Daddy"

Hope your ok Bill. But I am still laughing, you have to have kids to totally appreciate that comment. I just got my 99LT and was test fitting the wife on the back seat and we both got a scare when she attempted to get off a little to quickly and the bike rolled forward and off the center stand. I caught it in time.

Retired Piece Officer
post #28 of 28 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Ok Ok

I LIED!!
There IS in FACT damage to the LT from the drop.

Friday night I was heading south on I-25 and wanted my Jpeg out, the right side one wouldn't come out. I pulled over and sure as ever, the dang Jpeg had been pressed into the plastic of the bike, and actually punctured it. About as wide as a stick of gum with the height about 1". And ofcourse that part is the WHOLE belly pan...so here I go to ebay a huntin.

Amsoil,
Yea, I am figuring out that the K12 is Definitely not for new riders. I learn something new everytime I get on it. If I can figure out the front wobble I will be good. I already know not to touch the front brake. However, coming up to the stop lights I am really smooth with my stops now. It is always a learning game.

I am sure you retired as a Peace Officer and not a Piece Officer. My name "Piece" is a great story, and I have been asked and I ignore it, waiting for the Campfire time to tell it.

Thank you for your dedication and service!!

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in