I've been wondering??!! flat tire on LTs? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

I've been wondering??!! flat tire on LTs?

It recently occurred to me that all of the flats on my LT have been nails and all have been in the rear tire. any one picked up one in a front tire? any guess why mine have all been in the rear?

While I was day dreaming away about this I wondered if a large magnet would be able to pick up a nail before it could attack the rear tire? If it is theoretically possible, how large? Can a large enough one be made, an electromagnetic one from the 12V D.C.?

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 12:30 am

Re: I've been wondering??!! flat tire on LTs?

maybe a mud flap slightly dragging the ground at a angle just before the rear tire?

surely you're not serious because I aint..lol.
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 2:26 am

The theory on car punctures (rear tyre more prevalent) is that the front tyre flicks the object up to be trapped under the rear at precisely the right angle to penetrate. Easier to occur in the wet as the projectile is lubricated by the water.
This (statistical) advice is from my mate who has had his own motor & tyre business for 38 years, he's seen his share of punctures. As for the magnet, we have them as tramp metal ejectors on conveyors where I work, huge currents involved.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 7:27 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Of all the bikes I've towed that have a flat tire the vast majority are rear. My guess is maybe 1 out of every 20 tires is a front tire. As stated already the front tire kicks up the object throwing it into the rear tire.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 2:39 pm

On numerous bikes I have NEVER got a flat front tire, always the rear. Which is good, I had a flat front tire on a bicycle, it's bad news.

Maybe rear has more weight allowing objects to penetrate, whatever.

On cars I'd go maybe 60/40 rear versus front. Most minor flat tires I fix myself using the little gooey sticks.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 6:44 pm

I have significantly reduced the number of nails and screws in my tires by not parking my bike on the carpeting in my garage.....
oh i forgot to add drill bits....where does all that crap come from??

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 10:00 pm

No flats on my LT so far. However, the front tire is a lot narrower than the rear, so that right there would probably mean a 3x more likely to catch a nail etc. than in the front, all else being equal. Which, I'm sure, they aren't.

Thinking about my experience on cars, most of those have been in the rear as well, though several were, I suspect, "planted" by people I had pissed off.

As for a magnet ... well, the problem is, magnetic fields fall off RAPIDLY with distance. If you have something that doesn't impact the ground clearance of the bike, you would probably have to have a near super-conducting magnet to pull a nail off the ground. If you were willing to dangle something movable (the mudflap idea) an inch off the ground, you could probably get by with some nice passive "rare earth" magnets. If you know anyone in the IT business, they probably have a large collection of them harvested from dead/obsolete hard disks. Also...IF you pull a nail off the ground, it has to be fully captured by the magnet at 70+MPH -- not just oriented upwards in a perfect position to plunge into the rear tire as it comes by, or pulling a nail that your rear tire would have missed a little closer so now you DO hit it. Also...if it is on a mud-flap like thing, when you hit a bump, the flap will bounce up...and probably stick to the bottom of the bike and stay there.

Electromagnet...I don't think you would get enough pull with the power available on the bike -- plus you'd be horribly impacting your gas milage by sucking a lot of juice from the alternator. (hm. however... maybe a large electromaget, not constantly engaged, but energized by a large capacitor for a fraction of a second every time it detected you driving over a metal object, the object gets pulled up, and a (relatively) small permanent magnet holds it until you stop.) Of course, you could drive over a washer and have the zipper of your boot ripped off! Ok, I'm over thinking this now, I must stop.

Another problem with the magnet idea: it only works with magnetic materials -- aluminum, brass, stainless steel will still be making a beeline for your tire.
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 10th, 2014, 12:07 am

Maybe there is room for a short but yet wide tire to run in front of the rear tire..sacrificial so to say..like sponge rubber maybe?
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 10th, 2014, 10:59 pm Thread Starter

thank you for the time everyone took to post.

Looks as if the magnet theory won't work unless its a LARGE supermagnet that hangs so it remains parallel to road when we learn.

Installing a wheel between the front a rear to eat the nails doesn't seem workable.

so that seems to leave a "mud-flap" of some type to alter the path of a nail the front tire aims at the rear tire? I'm assuming when the front aims the nail towards the rear that the nail doesn't hit anything on its way, like the crash pan on the trany?

Maybe something like a dust pan just skimming above the road right behind where the tire meets the road? Put two little leds on it looking like eye balls and pain a little nose down a little between the eye balls and have The Great Goblin-up-nails on duty? :-))

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 7:29 am

In my opinion, with tubeless tyres, punctures are no more a big issue.
Often you do not even notice a puncture when it happens and the tyre gets flat only after several days or weeks.
With the repair kits, it is easy to fix on the roadside.

Bruno

Bruno_C
K1200 LT 2006 85000km
Moto Guzzi Breva 750 2004
Triumph Bonneville 1972
Norton Commando 1976

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 9:34 am

Maybe you could mount one of those "red light triggers" on your bike in front of rear tire. I understand that these units are a magnet attached with plastic wire tie.
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

Hi Bruno

I've tried three times to plug a rear tire with the mushroom plug; none of the plugs lasted more than a few miles before the plug fell out of the hole.

It seems as if people have good luck with the strips. Ultimately patching it from the inside seems the best long term solution. Unfortunately that cannot be done on the side of a road and here in the USA gas stations and tire places do not want to take the risk of getting sued if they patch a tire from the inside.

I bought compound one places inside the tire rim assembly that is supposed to not only seal flats, but also balance the tire rim combination. since I'm planning a ride back to New England in August and back here later on, I'll find out after putting a few thousand miles on the rear tire if I cab see or feel any difference.

Bob

post #13 of 17 Old Jul 11th, 2014, 8:51 pm

I've patched 3 tires with the slime repair kit from Walmart for about $10, combined with a mini tire pump for about $10, I carry it with me all the time. Never had a repair come out.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 5:50 am

Flats, what a pain.

Been riding for 45 years now and have only had one flat on the front in all that time. Pretty sure the way it works is when the front rolls over a nail, screw, bolts, whatever, it flips it sharp side up just in time for the rear to to commit suicide.

Most have been nails but have also been gotten by something that tore a hole large enough to insert 2 fingers, never saw it but felt the results immediately. Big heavy bikes can be a real hand full with a flat rear, especially when they try to come off the rim.

Have tried all sorts of different tactics through the years with mixed results. Hung a large magnet at the leading edge of the skid plate and collected an amazing amount of metal. An added bonus with it was it would easily trip the left turn lights that were loop activated. Not sure if it help much with flats, did not have one in the 6 or 7 years I ran one, have since lost it, somewhere, probably came off because of a speed hump, probably stuck to the bottom of a low rider somewhere.

In days of old, the old time riders ran a mud flap on the front fender that barely cleared the ground. Don't see a good way to hang a flap on an LT, that floppy plastic won't support it. If memory serves correctly, don't remember having a flt on the rear while running a flap on my old FLH.

On the magnets, used to be able to lay hands on them when repairing the PMG on large generators. There were 8 of them in there, about the size of a cell phone. They would stick on the skid plate, or any ferrous metal, tight enough no attachment hardware needed, you want it off, it would take some effort. Need to start looking for more.

Now days, carry a repair kit and an air compressor.

B D R
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 4:03 pm

I have a good hard disk magnet story I will share one day, when I have enough time..

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

There are still a couple of traffic lights that my LT won't trigger.

guess I should hunt around for a large magnet to see if it will at least trigger stop lights and maybe pick up nails.

the most unusual flat I ever got was a metal part from a snow mobile tread. Course that was when I lived in western Mass in Becket MA.

Bob

post #17 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 5:27 pm

I had hard drive magnets on my skid plate to help trigger certain traffic lights. It did pickup some unexpected debris. Certainly had to be going very slow or stopped at the time.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in