Well it was bound to happen, only had it 48 hours - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Well it was bound to happen, only had it 48 hours

I had to take my new LT apart, all the upper plastics and stingray off to remove the radio. I did this not because I needed to, but for fun. I did not want the radio as it does not work anyway. So I took it out and I am using the space for storage. I don't like the tank bag, I want the storage with easy access.
I didn't take long. I only spent 1 1/2 hours start to finish. It was a lot of fun too. These LT's are easy to take apart and work on.
I also think that the first owner of this bike was a member here, everywhere I look on this LT I find unique things talked about here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 6:38 am

Re: Well it was bound to happen, only had it 48 hours

Pics please
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Garage

Here is one I took with it apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0126.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	60050  

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
I hate to rain on a good parade.... But that ain't "apart".

That's to the point where you can start taking her apart!

You'll learn more about taking her apart when you get to the 12K service. Air filter? It's under the gas tank!

You'll get to the point where you have all the Tupperware off in about 20 minutes (with an electric driver).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Pretty good for a first-timer. Better'n I did my first time, butt thankfully I had a garage full of help. You'll find some small shortcuts each time you go there - as well as some gotchas. Help is always available right here. Benefit to what you're gaining in small storage makes the project worthwhile. Best always. Oh yeah - with Xmas just around the corner, you might make mention to Ms. Santa there are table lifts that won't fit under the tree, butt will fit under the scoot!!
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Pretty good for a first-timer. Better'n I did my first time, butt thankfully I had a garage full of help. You'll find some small shortcuts each time you go there - as well as some gotchas. Help is always available right here. Benefit to what you're gaining in small storage makes the project worthwhile. Best always. Oh yeah - with Xmas just around the corner, you might make mention to Ms. Santa there are table lifts that won't fit under the tree, butt will fit under the scoot!! ;)
Hey Dick
That's a gentleman way of being subtle. I like how you set up that one
ride safe
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I know its not all the way apart, but I have this habit of taking stuff apart right after I get it. I was good and waited a couple of days. I know that I will need to take the tank off to change the filter and do other things. I am sure I will have this thing stripped down many times in the future. I had to take half my Gold wing apart to do anything on it also, the seat and false tank plus all the lower fairings were off every time I wanted to do anything. It's what you get with a full tourer.
For now I just wanted to get some space for an up coming IBA SS ride. I also wanted to check and see if the fuel line QD bypass had been done, and it has been. I also want to check for the canisterectomy. I assume it will have been done also from what I am seeing.
I do want a table lift, but I need to wait to ask for that. She is still getting over the bike purchase.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Yeah that's not apart, that's naked.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in