New and strange noise - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:34 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ltcommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: El Cerrito, CA, USA
Posts: 1,544
New and strange noise

Here's one for all you diagnosticians out there...

Occasionally on start up and only when the engine is warm I hear a very rapid knocking sound lasting about 2 seconds. I can consistently replicate that sound if I bring the bike to a quick stop with the clutch engaged until the last second. In this later case the sound persists for 4 to 5 seconds and stops if I goose the throttle.

A friend mentioned it could be the chain tensioner which hasn't EVER been replaced. I now have 170k miles on the bike.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ltcommuter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:52 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
Here's one for all you diagnosticians out there...

Occasionally on start up and only when the engine is warm I hear a very rapid knocking sound lasting about 2 seconds. I can consistently replicate that sound if I bring the bike to a quick stop with the clutch engaged until the last second. In this later case the sound persists for 4 to 5 seconds and stops if I goose the throttle.

A friend mentioned it could be the chain tensioner which hasn't EVER been replaced. I now have 170k miles on the bike.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
I'll go with your friend (if Grif sides with him/her too!!!). 'Sides, you got your monies worth with that tensioner!!! Time to give some of it to your dealer!! Or invite Shealey to drop by and fixit - he's a pushover for fondling an LT!!!
Dick is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:57 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I'll go with your friend (if Grif sides with him/her too!!!). 'Sides, you got your monies worth with that tensioner!!! Time to give some of it to your dealer!! Or invite Shealey to drop by and fixit - he's a pushover for fondling an LT!!!
He can 'fondle' my ride any time he wants! I won't tell.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
lnowell is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ltcommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: El Cerrito, CA, USA
Posts: 1,544
Advice taken

I've set an appointment for this Friday with San Jose BMW to replace my chain tensioner (since Shealey lives too far away ).

While they're in that deep (5 hr job) what else should be replaced after 170k miles?

TIA

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ltcommuter is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:32 am
Senior Member
 
DavidTaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Jose, CA, USA
Posts: 7,565
That's all on the front of the motor, right? If they pull the valve cover might as well have them check the valaves and adjust if needed. How long since you flushed and refilled the radiator? I'm guessing they might have to pull a hose, but if not they'll be right there while they're working on it.

Oh yeah, since they'll have the side covers off why don't you have them bolt on one of these.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DavidTaylor is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 2:15 pm
Senior Member
 
dshealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
I've set an appointment for this Friday with San Jose BMW to replace my chain tensioner (since Shealey lives too far away ).

While they're in that deep (5 hr job) what else should be replaced after 170k miles?

TIA

Cheers!
Make sure they check the tensioner cylinder by blowing air into the oil passage hole and working it back and forth to be sure there is no sticking.

At 170,000 miles I would probably replace the timing chain if already in there. Not likely to be worn that much, but it could be stretched enough to be putting all the load on 1-2 teeth of the sprockets. Replace the front seal in the timing cover also. At 170,000 miles any pre-emptive strikes you can easily make may save you repeat teardowns or worse later.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
dshealey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome