BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Wiring Diagram for the old Comsystem 1? (2002 LT)

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jwklanwan 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
I purchased a 2002 K1200LTC back in February. It has all of the factory farkles (CB, Cassette, CD changer, and Nav). I have J&M headsets for both rider and passenger - both work fabulously. I'll be heading to the MOA rally in a couple of weeks with my youngest daughter and was hoping to upgrade the GPS before we left.
The Nav is the old Garmin Street Pilot III style unit, which doesn't have enough memory to hold all US street maps, just a few cities at a time.
I purchased a used Garmin 2820 to replace it, but I'm a little confused about how to best wire it up. I'm pretty sure that the speaker cable from the SP3 will work fine for feeding audio to the comm system. The 2820 has a microphone jack (for use with the bluetooth phone link), and I'd like to tie it in to the commsystem, hoping that rider and passenger would be able to talk on the phone if need be. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have diagrams for the stingray and all of the electronics in the 2002 comm system?
Many thanks to all - I've already used a lot of great advice that I've seen on this board, along with the MOA site!

Regards,
Joe

#2 ·
Do you have the autocom manual? it explains where to hook up a cell phone.

Attachments

#3 ·
Here is the manual....hope it helps.

Ron

Attachments

#4 ·
You guys are great!
I finally realized that this system is made by J&M. Pretty cool, since I just had both of our helmets modified by them!
I had tried bluetooth, but was unhappy with volume levels and battery longevity.

I tried to wire the Garmin 2820 into the GPS input leads, but found that audio only plays on the right channel. Not what I was expecting. I'm trying to use the 2820 bluetooth to link to my phone. It also has an XM receiver, which I'd love to use for the ride from ATL to the MOA rally in two weeks.

I think that what I need to do is build a cable assembly to plug into the 2820 speaker and microphone jacks (separate jacks) and combine them into the ComSystem cell phone jack. Any thoughts?

I do need to figure out the tip/ring/ring/ring pinout on the ComSystem jack. Does anyone have that handy? I cant read any of the pinouts in the Comsystem PDF file.

Thanks to all!
JK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.