WTB Top Case Rack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:53 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

WTB Top Case Rack

Glen's post on top case bags reminded me that a top case is something on my wish list.

Besides BMW, who manufactures a lighted (running light and/or brake light) top case rack?
What's the best one (best quality, max. capacity-weight)?
I know these aren't rated to carry much weight, but maybe one carries more than another?
Can they be installed by the owner or are they a major hassle (drilling, wiring, etc.)?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:23 am

Hey Howard

The BMW rack on mine was installed by the Dealer when I bought the bike. They tried to get me to go with the Zetacnic but I liked the BMW style better?? They told me they get 2 hours to do the install and I laughed, so I told them if you want me to by this bike I will pay for the rack but you will install it for free. Especially since I bought it in Feb and there shop was pretty much dead. I won that battle. plus used my 10% off privledge(WHOO HOO)

My wife and I are going to the Vermont Rally and I had her practicing on what she can take (HA HA) she filled up the left bag and most of the trunk leaving me the right bag which normally holds the rain suits, 1/2 cover and a few misc. items plus the cd changer, so thats why I'm looking for a rack bag to put the light stuff up there and leave me enough room for a few items of clothes.

If you do the install by yourself, just check and recheck the holes before you drill em, no margin for error there.

Glen
05klt
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:30 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
Hey Howard

The BMW rack on mine was installed by the Dealer when I bought the bike. They tried to get me to go with the Zetacnic but I liked the BMW style better?? They told me they get 2 hours to do the install and I laughed, so I told them if you want me to by this bike I will pay for the rack but you will install it for free. Especially since I bought it in Feb and there shop was pretty much dead. I won that battle. plus used my 10% off privledge(WHOO HOO)

My wife and I are going to the Vermont Rally and I had her practicing on what she can take (HA HA) she filled up the left bag and most of the trunk leaving me the right bag which normally holds the rain suits, 1/2 cover and a few misc. items plus the cd changer, so thats why I'm looking for a rack bag to put the light stuff up there and leave me enough room for a few items of clothes.

If you do the install by yourself, just check and recheck the holes before you drill em, no margin for error there.

Glen
05klt
Thanks Glen. Is your rack lighted? Do you know how tough it is to do that?

I removed my CD changer from the right pannier; leaves a lot more room. Sold it to a guy on this site.

Bag liners (BMW, Kathy's Journey Designs, others) make the most use of the space in the bike's bags.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:51 pm

Hey Howard

Mine has a built in brakelight that I like very much, probably the best reason I had it put on, If I remember from the TECH session when Joe was doing that vasectimy or whatever on Jim from Dublins bike the wire for the rack light was under the topcase and plugged in under the rear seat?

Maybe Joe or Rock or Medina Mike can confirm that?
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:01 pm

I looked at all of them when I got mine and decided to go with the Harley Davidson rack and bag. Very nice rack and expandable bag. It does not have a light but I am going to install an led light on the case when I find one that I like. It is really nice to have the rack and bag there for the jacket liners and things that aren't heavy.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:42 pm

Exclamation Too much is TOO MUCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Besides BMW, who manufactures a lighted (running light and/or brake light) top case rack?
What's the best one (best quality, max. capacity-weight)?
Howard...you do NOT want very much weight up there. It really compromises the handling in curves. Buy the BMW rack, the Chicane rackbag, and be done with it. And the LED light on the OEM rack is the best I've seen also.

post #7 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 7:42 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Howard...you do NOT want very much weight up there. It really compromises the handling in curves. Buy the BMW rack, the Chicane rackbag, and be done with it. And the LED light on the OEM rack is the best I've seen also.
I'm familiar with the weight issues on the top case. I'm not planning putting a steamer trunk up there, but IIRC one rack can handle something like 5#, another can handle 10-11#. I just want to get the most #s for my money IYKWIM.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:51 am

I'd like to add a luggage rack and bag to my bike before CCR so I've also been on the lookout. I have found three choices: (a) the BMW rack, which looks OK but it's expensive and made of plastic. I've seen a couple of used ones (salavaged from wrecked bikes, prolly) on eBay but they came without hardware or instructions and were still too expensive. (b) the ZTechnic rack; these are pretty nice, all metal, with a brake light that supposedly plugs into stock wiring. I think the cost on these is about $250 or so. There is a top rack bag made by "Mag's Bags" that looks nice; they make a version for the BMW rack and one for the ZTechnic rack. (c) the modified H-D rack sold by Paul Sayegh, with the matching H-D bag. There is a link on the Accessory page to Paul's modified Harley rack.

I'll probably go with "c". To me it looks as nice as the ZTechnic rack, and the total cost of rack and bag is probably the best overall buy. One drawback is the lack of a top mounted stoplight, but you can probably figure out a way to mount an aftermarket LED light bar.

The Chicane bags are kind of new to me (I first saw them at Spring Training II) but they look really nice. Don't know the price or how they would mate up with the aftermarket racks. My dealer is having an open house tomorrow for the Vespa line; I may drop by and take a look at the Chicane rack bag and see how it compares.
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:35 pm

I went with the Harley rack and the Harley expandable bag and like it very much. I only put liners and light stuff up though. I am going to mount an LED light bar when I find one that will work.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Last edited by dmatson; Jun 23rd, 2006 at 11:44 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in