New member, need suggestions to look out for buying an used one - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Question New member, need suggestions to look out for buying an used one

Hello all,

I am a new member over here. I have been lurking around the forum for a while now reading issues that the members are having with their LTs. I am particularly interested in 06+ models. I have two in my list, while both are 06 models, one has 26K and the other 64K. As for options, both have same options including hydraulic center stand, BMW navigation, intercom etc. They have about 1500 price difference with 40K one being pricier.

What do you guys think is a better price range for a 06 model LT? Considering its in very good shape and has all the above options? I know mostly this is a personal preference, but just a ball park would help.

I am wondering if I can get some helpful tips/suggestions that I have to look out when checking out these bikes. What can I ask for etc.

I am very handy with tools, owning an Alfa Romeo, I consider myself good enough in tackling repairs/service.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks and I look forward to be here soon.

Last edited by pavanbabut; Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Garage
Re: New member, need suggestions to look out for buying an used one

Well I just went through this, spent 4 months looking and purchased one yesterday. A lot to think about, price is only one issue. For me I wanted a bike that had been loved. I bought from a private party and found one that had all the aftermarket farkles that I wanted. I figured if someone was willing to spent several thousand dollars for all the added stuff, they loved and took good care of it. Mine has 50K on it and it is great. With 40K or 64K either would be good. I would look at other factors. Tire condition, maint. history, aftermarket add ons, what color you prefer, etc.
If you save a few hundred dollars and the color is ugly you will be sorry you save a few bucks the whole time. Costs a lot to change the color. Also, ride both. I found that after riding 3 bikes I prefered the early LTs over the late one, you may not.
Have a long talk with both owners if you can, dealers will just say it is all good and passed there XXX point check. An owner will tell you about his trip to Yellowstone on it and why he added this or that mod.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Well I just went through this, spent 4 months looking and purchased one yesterday. A lot to think about, price is only one issue. For me I wanted a bike that had been loved. I bought from a private party and found one that had all the aftermarket farkles that I wanted. I figured if someone was willing to spent several thousand dollars for all the added stuff, they loved and took good care of it. Mine has 50K on it and it is great. With 40K or 64K either would be good. I would look at other factors. Tire condition, maint. history, aftermarket add ons, what color you prefer, etc.
If you save a few hundred dollars and the color is ugly you will be sorry you save a few bucks the whole time. Costs a lot to change the color. Also, ride both. I found that after riding 3 bikes I prefered the early LTs over the late one, you may not.
Have a long talk with both owners if you can, dealers will just say it is all good and passed there XXX point check. An owner will tell you about his trip to Yellowstone on it and why he added this or that mod.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Thanks for your reply. I just read both of your threads. For me, having a detailed service/maintenance history is a big plus as is what I do with my Alfa. They both are of same color and have almost the same options, while one have passenger armrests (not sure if they are optional). As far as I can see, the only difference between them is mileage 26K vs 64K and they both are in the hands of their second owners. KBB or Nada are of not much help here. I am gonna drive them this coming weekend. I had only talked to both owners over email asking for detailed pictures, history etc.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut View Post
Hello all,

I am a new member over here. I have been lurking around the forum for a while now reading issues that the members are having with their LTs. I am particularly interested in 06+ models. I have two in my list, while both are 06 models, one has 26K and the other 64K. As for options, both have same options including hydraulic center stand, BMW navigation, intercom etc. They have about 1500 price difference with 40K one being pricier.

What do you guys think is a better price range for a 06 model LT? Considering its in very good shape and has all the above options? I know mostly this is a personal preference, but just a ball park would help.

I am wondering if I can get some helpful tips/suggestions that I have to look out when checking out these bikes. What can I ask for etc.

I am very handy with tools, owning an Alfa Romeo, I consider myself good enough in tackling repairs/service.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks and I look forward to be here soon.
Search for other threads as some of the senior members really gave in depth lists of things to be aware of and tips for checking potential bikes out.

Good Luck
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 11:01 pm
cws

Garage

All else being equal I'd be looking more closely at the one with lower k's (is it 24k or 40k? you're first post is confusing).

Depending on how they have been ridden, you are likely closer to a clutch job (>$500 just parts and up towards your $1500 if dealer repaired) on the higher mileage bike... but again depends on how and where ridden.

Think of the $1500 as an insurance policy.. never guaranteed but might be better peace-of-mind.
I recently paid AU$10k for a bike with 27k km on it, over a few others that were a couple of grand less inital outlay but between 60-120k km's. It was an easy choice.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 10 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Its 26K, not sure why I can not edit my first post anymore. The price difference between as I said is about $1500. I can bargain on the 64K one to go a bit lower though. For me, low miles has always been a good choice. But that doesn't mean they are always better than well maintained high mileage ones.

26K one is ~$9500
64K one is ~$7800
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 12:10 am

My opinion 40k is nothing to worry about. My bike has 123k and I purchased new, and it is always garaged when not in use. Except for the shocks I replaced at 100k, I see no real difference over the years in performance and other issues even at this mileage. Mine had the usual clutch problems that all LT's have due to oil leaking on the disk or slave cylinder leaking. I also have to say for all those newbies looking to purchase a used bike, even if you were to pay 11k for either of those bikes that would still be a bargain. Too many people have down graded this great machine due to there own personal beliefs. But if you took the time too read back through the archives it shows that most of the people say this is the first bike they have ridden and purchased in many years, I must say that this great machine is always being compared to the Honda Goldwing, when the only comparison is that both happen to be touring machines. The goldwing has an opposed cylinder engine, and a fuel tank that is mounted under the seat. Where the LT is a brick motor and a fuel tank that is mounted like most motorcycles used to be. Having said that I also happen to own a goldwing, and let me tell you the goldwing is not without it's own faults. I just felt this needed saying since I keep reading all those posts about the LT pricing, based on ownership of both bikes the LT value should far out reach the value and pricing of the goldwing. Good luck with your purchase decision.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2014, 6:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Also check the scheduled maintenance has been completed. Every 12K miles is a major expense if you pay the dealer ~$800. Keep that cost in mind if the 24K mile or 60K mile service has not yet been completed on the bikes.

I just went through the same deal, having looked around for months. Having the bikes history and then examining the bike I could tell the ones that had been loved the most.

Comfort is important too; compare the seats and ergos. Maybe a non-standard seat feels better or worse to you.

Good luck. See you back here on Monday with your new bike!

Ian
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2014, 9:06 pm

I would look close at the 26K bike because as someone said the $1500. difference could be like an insurance policy. Some things that are nice after market items and will make the ride more enjoyable are rider backrest, forward pegs (such as J-Pegs), Piaa or Motolights are really nice and good aftermarket seat such as Russell or Corbin. These add on items can add up pretty quickly if not on used bike when purchased. Also check tires closely, notice the date of mfg on 26 K bike because these tires could be getting old if the bike has not been ridden on a regular basis in last few years. You might even look at older bikes. I presently own a 2002 model LT and love it. Over the years I have owned (2) 2005 models (long story) and still like the 02 model that I now have.
Ride what ever you buy because each ride will be a little different and you will know when you find the right one. Good Luck in you quest!
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Check the tires for wear and date of manufacture, and if over three years old add tire cost into your decision. If the tires are new look close at the bike for signs of abuse everywhere.. If the tires are third or more worn, it will give you an idea of how it was ridden. See if there is a good quality battery or if it is new cheapest possible replacement. Might tell you that it has sit for long time before selling.

Look for really new plastic. Does the foot peg wear look appropriate to the indicated miles. Look at the shocks, any sign of leaking. The 60k bike may be in need to shocks soon. Around 60k the bike will feel soft, still ride pretty good unless it was heavily loaded. If you ride both you can tell if the older or the newer has a need for shocks as it should not wallow in corners. If you do shocks yourself, you are going to eat up the price differential. Look under the bike tupperware for leaky oil especially on the drive shaft and directly under the tranny. look for clean but oily residue as it may have been only wiped clean. Look at all the calipers for leaks and resolve any warnings or cautions especially for the ABS.

Check brake fluid color. It should be clear. Dark is bad and sign of no maintenance or improper or minimal work. Don't forget to look at the rear reservoir for color.

Check clutch reservoir for same color as brake reservoirs, shows even maintenance.

You can always look at current brake wear as an indicator of riding style..

IMHO the $1500 differential is nothing if you have the options you want and the tires are in good shape, and it rides true. Don't worry about a steady 40 MPH hands off head shake. I would be concerned if it doesn't track right at 50 or 30 MPH.

If you ride it hard and put on side stand and let it sit for awhile it might smoke. That is normal. If it smokes after you stop and sit on center stand for an hour that is not good. Make sure the engine is cold when you start it for the first time. You may want to warn the seller you want the engine cold when you show up to ride.

Take the bike and put it at 40 MPH in 5th and give it full throttle. The clutch should not slip if you have not been slipping or riding it. If the clutch is hot it will slip. The LT should load, balk and slowly gain speed if you do it right.

Just remember that an LT will ride really well if not quite up to par with other LTs, unless you have experience with LTs.. Sometimes you just have to be familiar with the unit.

Bottom line is it is a really sweet ride for the dollars...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in