I finally got my new LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 12:30 am Thread Starter

Garage
I finally got my new LT

Well, I got it home, my new LT. I spent the last 4 months looking for the right one at the right price with all the options I wanted. I found one a few hundred miles away.
It is a 2000 with 51K miles, arm rests, BMW cover, BMW cup holder and tank bag, Formotion compass and thermometer, Star comm 1 system, Goldwing rack and hyway pegs.
It also have a custom seat that I think is a Russell Day Long, but can not find a tag. Oh, and its not beige. I love the color.
All of this is stuff that I wanted and knew I would have to spend a lot to get one at atime, so I am thrilled.

Me and my new LT at the Astoria Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 7:25 am

Smile Re: I finally got my new LT

Enjoy the new ride.
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 8:00 am

Re: I finally got my new LT

Congrats! It is a love hate relationship (at least for me). Many miles to you.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 8:00 am

Congratulations.
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 8:07 am

Congrats, now get riding! I'm out riding the south shore of the St Lawrence, slowly making my way to Hyw 1 and Boston. Its a great bike and you'll love it.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

post #6 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Garage

I already love it. I first saw a picture of one in an ad while I was looking for a Goldwing to replace my current Goldwing. I had to see and ride one. I found one at a local dealer and I knew that was the bike for me. I spent the next several months reading this forum and watching the videos done by Illinois BMW club on YouTube. That helped a lot, I knew the right questions to ask and what to look for. I am a trained and certified mechanic and have worked on extremely complex stuff including the US Air Force C-17 Globmaster. I feel that this bike will be no problem for me to keep going. I am prepared for her to be a bit of a needy mistress.
I rode her 200+ miles first day and I am going to do the IBA SS from Olympia WA to Missoula MT and back on the 19th. I also ride 100 miles everyday to and from work. It will be ridden.
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Garage

Best of luck with your new ride!

Ride Safe, Bill
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 5:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
I already love it. I first saw a picture of one in an ad while I was looking for a Goldwing to replace my current Goldwing. I had to see and ride one. I found one at a local dealer and I knew that was the bike for me. I spent the next several months reading this forum and watching the videos done by Illinois BMW club on YouTube. That helped a lot, I knew the right questions to ask and what to look for. I am a trained and certified mechanic and have worked on extremely complex stuff including the US Air Force C-17 Globmaster. I feel that this bike will be no problem for me to keep going. I am prepared for her to be a bit of a needy mistress.
I rode her 200+ miles first day and I am going to do the IBA SS from Olympia WA to Missoula MT and back on the 19th. I also ride 100 miles everyday to and from work. It will be ridden.
And then worked on. And then ridden. And then worked on...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well I am used to that. I had my Goldwing torn apart many times. I had to do everything from the fork seals, to brakes, to a complete top end rebuilt and timing belts. You think the LT is needy, try owning a 32 year old bike with 4 carburetors. I even had to replace both throttle cables and the speedo cable. Ride, work, ride, work, it still needs work.
post #10 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 9:47 pm

OldMopars, Know you are going to love the bike. You got a nice looking bike there and I hated that you and the bike were so dark in the picture. Shooting with lots of bright sky in the shot will do that if you don't tell the camera to do otherwise. Since I did this kind of work as a pro for some 45 years and it's you first shot of you and new LT, I thought I'd help with the exposure on you and bike just a bit.

Hope you don't mind that I corrected it a bit. So this is what color his new bike is. Looks good.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #11 of 19 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Congratulations, and good job on knowing what you wanted and patiently finding it.

And yeh, I guess if you're hands-on with the C-17 you can handle the LT's maintenance requirements.

I was just about to ask if you wanted to sell the Russell Day Long seat, but then I saw that was on your list of things you were looking for. You got some choice upgrades on that LT!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 9:01 am

Congrats! You are definitely prepared mentally for the LT. That was one of the best new owner posts yet.

I rode mine every day for 4 years, 120,000 miles, and yes, had most of the known issues, including replacing all four pistons once. (actually a pretty easy job on the LT, do not remove engine). The hardest job I ever did was replacing the starter sprag clutch once. To help avoid that, run a bottle of CD2 a few hundred miles before about every fifth or sixth oil change to keep the sprag cage clean. That sprag clutch will last the life of the bike if it does not get gummed up.

The LT is a fantastic mile eating bike.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
To help avoid that, run a bottle of CD2 a few hundred miles before about every fifth or sixth oil change to keep the sprag cage clean. .
What is CD2?

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #14 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
What is CD2?
Oil detergent additive.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=238992_0_0_

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:35 am

Garage

Welcome aboard
I would say great choice. Though mine an '09 I think the LT has good lineage. In 4 years 30k+ miles and 40 states it is the most encouraging machine for a road trip.
Your credentials seem impeccable with a background in military mechanics. So my question to you is do you make house calls.
Visited Dover AFB on most recent trip. The museum that is and what great stories.
ride safe
post #16 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:43 am

Enjoy your new ride. I have an 02 that appears to be the same color as yours. I like the color because you do not see one every day.
post #17 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
Enjoy your new ride. I have an 02 that appears to be the same color as yours. I like the color because you do not see one every day.
Yeah, I was beginning to think that the only color they came in was Beige. I looked at a ton of ads and they were all beige. Not a bad color, just not for me. The canyon red is great for me. My Goldwing is the same basic color.
This is my only hobby, so I have the time to tinker with it. Gives me something to do on Sunday afternoons and keeps me out of the bars.
post #18 of 19 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 4:31 pm

My 00 can look Beige, but it is affectionately called "metal flake dust".

you didn't mention aux lights. I've discovered that a HID low beam with a spacer does pretty good for the low beam.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #19 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 12:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
OldMopars, Know you are going to love the bike. You got a nice looking bike there and I hated that you and the bike were so dark in the picture. Shooting with lots of bright sky in the shot will do that if you don't tell the camera to do otherwise. Since I did this kind of work as a pro for some 45 years and it's you first shot of you and new LT, I thought I'd help with the exposure on you and bike just a bit.

Hope you don't mind that I corrected it a bit. So this is what color his new bike is. Looks good.

Mines a 2000 also and the same color.
Wonder what he paid.
Nice job cleaning the pic up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in