'02 LT to an '06 WOW! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:41 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: weatherford, tx, usa
Posts: 87
'02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Guess I didn't realize there would be that much difference in the two bikes. Just picked up the '06 from a very nice gentleman who was the original owner and took exceptional care of it. 30K on the '06, 60k on the '02.

It felt torquier on the low end, rode much smoother, handled nicer and I thought the '02 was the smoothest bike I've ever been on.

Ahhh, it felt so good on the freeway I almost didn't come home.

Although he stated it's never had a service issue since new and only been in for regular service maintenance, it's still an LT.

But till the inevitable, the GF and I will be out riding the best two-up machine on the road.


In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
KI_OTE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:55 pm
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Congrats on the new bike. You will love it. I have an 07 and the added goodies and changes from the earlier bikes are nice. I get the weirdest looks when I use the electro-hydraulic center stand and reverse. One hint when using the center stand as soon as the bike starts to lift put your weight on one leg until it fully rises don't let it lift you. I have seen LT riders two up sit on the bike and let it lift them both up, it is not designed to do that and they are asking for trouble. You take care of her and she will give you many miles of smiles.
norton is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 3:58 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: weatherford, tx, usa
Posts: 87
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Congrats on the new bike. You will love it. I have an 07 and the added goodies and changes from the earlier bikes are nice. I get the weirdest looks when I use the electro-hydraulic center stand and reverse. One hint when using the center stand as soon as the bike starts to lift put your weight on one leg until it fully rises don't let it lift you. I have seen LT riders two up sit on the bike and let it lift them both up, it is not designed to do that and they are asking for trouble. You take care of her and she will give you many miles of smiles.
Ah, good advice. Thanks.

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
KI_OTE is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 7:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,307
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
. I have seen LT riders two up sit on the bike and let it lift them both up, it is not designed to do that and they are asking for trouble.
I have rebuilt 25 of these units and there is no issue using it to lift the bike and two people. I have been doing just that for 10 years now. I know what the riders manual says but I cannot put both feet on the ground.

The only thing that takes these units out is not keeping the shaft clean. The stock wiper is weak and it eventually lets dirt get to the shaft seal and once it leaks out 20 ml of oil it will not lift the bike. I have never seen a failed piston seal which would be caused by over loading. These are way over engineered for his application.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:00 pm
Senior Member
 
oldmopars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 242
Garage
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

I guess this shows how personal a bike is. I rode an 03 and an 05. I preferred the 03 and am buying an 00. I like the simple dash layout and the seating position. I don't need the power stand. My GW is same weight and I make it work.
I am glad you like your 06. I am sure I will l like my 00.
oldmopars is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2014, 1:31 am
Senior Member
 
Moogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hamilton, Oh., Butler
Posts: 187
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

While we're on the subject, can anyone tell us if there is a noticeable difference in the power of these two bikes? I saw a dyno video of the 05+ yrs. that had the bike at 101 hp. at the rear wheel. Just curious.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda









The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
Moogie is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2014, 8:12 am
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,897
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
While we're on the subject, can anyone tell us if there is a noticeable difference in the power of these two bikes? I saw a dyno video of the 05+ yrs. that had the bike at 101 hp. at the rear wheel. Just curious.
I ride the 05 & up quite often & I can't tell the difference in horsepower.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2014, 8:46 am
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
While we're on the subject, can anyone tell us if there is a noticeable difference in the power of these two bikes? I saw a dyno video of the 05+ yrs. that had the bike at 101 hp. at the rear wheel. Just curious.
Yes there is noticeable improvement. Plus I think it was 02 when the FD gearing was reduced.
I had a 02 with the Rhine West chip and that made a noticeable improvement. Contrasting the 05 again the motor is stronger.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2014, 12:38 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 978
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

torque is what moves you, how much did they increase the torque with the increase in horsepower?

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
gary45 is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2014, 2:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45 View Post
torque is what moves you, how much did they increase the torque with the increase in horsepower?
Slightly from 115 to 120 Nm, but at higher RPM. Not a huge difference and probably offset by the greater weight.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 2:35 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: weatherford, tx, usa
Posts: 87
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I have rebuilt 25 of these units and there is no issue using it to lift the bike and two people. I have been doing just that for 10 years now. I know what the riders manual says but I cannot put both feet on the ground.
Since I can up even when on the centerstand already, I'll just keep doing that. Unless of course someone is watching, in that case I'll show off.

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
KI_OTE is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 10th, 2014, 11:41 am
Senior Member
 
usmctpdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle WA, USA
Posts: 865
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

I had an 05 and If I were to do over again I would get an 00-03 as I disliked the digital instrument cluster that was unreadable in the sunlight and the older bikes had better seats and a real center stand lift... just my .02
Best of luck with your 06.... YMMV

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

usmctpdog is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 10th, 2014, 1:08 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: weatherford, tx, usa
Posts: 87
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog View Post
I had an 05 and If I were to do over again I would get an 00-03 as I disliked the digital instrument cluster that was unreadable in the sunlight and the older bikes had better seats and a real center stand lift... just my .02
Best of luck with your 06.... YMMV
Thanks.

The cluster is somewhat harder to see in the sun, but nothing too terribly bad and it has a much classy look. I do like the older seat better, but hope to break the new one in a little more. And, the old one was getting about 2mpg better. Don't know if that's a trade off for extra hp or not. The new certainly does run better.

The lighting on the new one is a HUGE improvement. I almost couldn't ride the older one at night. Never could get the luggage to lock with the remote on the old one, maybe they didn't do that. It's a great feature on the newer one that I use daily. Of course, let's not talk about the 'tape' player' vs 'cd' in the stingray.

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
KI_OTE is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 11:38 am
Senior Member
 
usmctpdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle WA, USA
Posts: 865
Smile Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI_OTE View Post
Thanks.

The cluster is somewhat harder to see in the sun, but nothing too terribly bad and it has a much classy look. I do like the older seat better, but hope to break the new one in a little more. And, the old one was getting about 2mpg better. Don't know if that's a trade off for extra hp or not. The new certainly does run better.

The lighting on the new one is a HUGE improvement. I almost couldn't ride the older one at night. Never could get the luggage to lock with the remote on the old one, maybe they didn't do that. It's a great feature on the newer one that I use daily. Of course, let's not talk about the 'tape' player' vs 'cd' in the stingray.
Yes, everything seems comes with a compromise and I certainly did use the key locking feature of the bags often enough.... I loved the sleek new look over the older model but the practicality of the analog gauges and usable reliable center stand with better seat carries more weight for me. Hope you get many happy (S)miles on your new 06... :^)

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

usmctpdog is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 2:40 pm
Senior Member
 
ltlfeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atkinson, NH, USA
Posts: 160
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

There's a deflector that mounts over the instrument panel I had one on mice 02 looks looks and works fine I bought it on eBay
Google dash light reflector bmw

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by ltlfeat; Jul 14th, 2014 at 6:52 pm.
ltlfeat is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:34 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Augusta, GA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: '02 LT to an '06 WOW!

Regarding seats, I bought an 03 seat, pulled the cover off and placed my 06 "comfort" seat cover over it. Gave me the better seating from the previous models, but the cover still matches (color and design) of the passenger seat and backrest. The older seats are wider near the back so they offer more/better support IMHO. Just an FYI...

Sammy
sgroover is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome