OK, answer first THEN make fun of me... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 3:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

OK, answer first THEN make fun of me...

Just picked up my 2004 LT, and in addition to waiting for more responses on the thread below on changing headlamp bulbs (geeze i don't wanna' have to disassemble half the bike to change two bulbs...) I have what will likely be the dumbest question of the week, but here goes.

Where, precisely, is the AUX plug for the stereo? I have an IPod that i'd like to use, but cannot find the jack.

I'd assumed it would be next to the single CD under the locking case on the fueltank, but if it is, I need glasses.

Help, please?

thank you

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 3:15 pm

Don't quote me on this

My 99 doesn't have any of that stuff so........

If the jacks are not on top of the radio. ( in the little hump above it.)
Then the aux is an add on that you can install.

Check this thread and I think you'll find your answer.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=aux

Hope that helps...Hope I'm close to correct.

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 22 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 4:13 pm
TMH

Pete,

I asked "the headlight bulb" question when I needed to do my first changeout as well. I didn't want to pull too hard on that wire without first knowing that it was supposed to release. Once I got confidence from the Board response, bulb replacement was simple and quick.

And now you know that that accessing the Aux plug on your radio will be a real bear. But... do you have a cassette or a single CD in your front oddments box? I have a cassette in my '02, so using a cheap little cassette adapter allows me to get a great signal from my XM radio into the bike's stereo system, and would work for your Ipod as well.

So that's another option if you've got a cassette up front.

Good luck,
Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950

post #4 of 22 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 5:27 pm

I don't know the answer to your question. Does that mean I can't make fun of you?

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #5 of 22 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 5:55 pm

You can use an FM modulator too. They can be purchased at an electronics store. This will broadcast a signal from your Ipod to your FM radio. It's very simple but the sound quality is not as good as the direct connection.
post #6 of 22 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 7:05 pm

Headlight bulbs, as in both? If that's the case, I bet it's the ground wire in the light assembly causing the prob.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 22 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 3:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Pete,

Welcome.

The AUX input on my 2002 radio required a cable, and it plugs into the rear of the radio. To access it I had to remove tupperware and the stingray. The instructions and the BMW part number can be found in the iPod/MP3 subforum, or just search on AUX, there are a lot of different ways to connect your iPod. I am using an ice>Link, it sounds really good but it's user interface is flakey at best. I use the AUX port for my Sirius radio.

See you around

Bo

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #8 of 22 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:26 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

LOL...thank you all

OK, I decided to get a FM modulator for the ipod from best buy for $29.99

as for the bulbs, wasn't having a problem, just wasn't happy with the light output from the stock bulbs. With my now former RT, I bought a single H4 replacement PIAA bulb that (despite what others have posted) made a HUGE difference in the amount of light thrown, especially on high beam. Since I spend a bit of time riding at night, I looked and decided to try the new Sylvania SILVERSTAR bulbs. Got a H3 and a H7 for less than one PIAA replacement H3--best part was that I got them at the local auto parts shop (hence no shipping costs) and the bulbs were $19.99 and $24.99 instead of the best internet price I could find of about $85 total for the PIAA's...and what a HUGE difference.

HIGHLY recommended, and they carry a warranty.

Regarding "can you make fun of me anyway?"

Well of course you can!

Pete (PS, check out gallery for helmetcam video of my deer-induced crash that ended up totalling my 2000 R1100RT, but ended up in putting me on the saddle of my 2004 LT this past weekend--donations will be gladly accepted)

post #9 of 22 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:20 am

where

is video?
post #10 of 22 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
--------------as for the bulbs, wasn't having a problem, just wasn't happy with the light output from the stock bulbs. With my now former RT, I bought a single H4 replacement PIAA bulb that (despite what others have posted) made a HUGE difference in the amount of light thrown,------------------------------
If you think the Silver Stars made a HUGE difference (sure didn't for me) you probably could not withstand the shock of a HID conversion. It would probably overwhelm you so much you could not speak for hours.

I put Silver Star high beams in my two BMW cars trying to get a better balance with the HID low beams, hardly any noticeable difference over the stock halogens. Slightly whiter color, actually better stated as "slightly less yellow", light output not noticeably higher. They still look pitiful and yellow in comparison to the HIDs. I feel they were a huge waste of money.

There is not a replacement incandescant headlight bulb made that can even begin to approach the increase in light the much lower wattage HID will give you.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:13 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Ahhhhh, David...

Yes, thankfully I haven't $1,000 to go with a real HID system or my head might just explode the very first time I turned the key and thumbed the brights...

If you read my post, you'll see that I am in no way suggesting that sylvania or PIAA or hella or Joe's house of replacement bulbs replacement lamps are going to compare to high intensity discharge lamps, but if you take standard headlight lamps and swap out the sylvanias and don't see a noticable difference in both the degree of brightness and the clarity of light (from the "yellowness" to the whiter light cast) then it's time for that annual optometrist visit.

Previous bike was a used CHP R1100RT-P, purchased for the princely sum of $6,400, which to me was equivalent to a million, and it was my baby. An HID conversion for 15% of the purchase price was not even close to an option, so I took the advice of two separate dealerships and a number of riders, and immediately noticed the difference the PIAA bulbs made. The Sylvanias are nearly as good at half the price. (I spent under $45 total, so I'm not sure it'd qualify as a huge waste of money)

I backed those up with Hella aux lighting mounted in the front fairing, my new PIAA kit, found in the clearance section of Bob's BMW last week, goes on the new (to me) 2004 LT Saturday, I'll be back to blinding drivers in the Dallas Metroplex in no time. Now if I can just find a way to mount a .30-.30 in the fairing for the next time I come around a blind curve and discover a deer so I don't rack up another avatar picture like the one I have right now...

PS, the HID self-levelling lights in my 535i made me short out my heated seats the first time I used them and I had a brain aneurism, a grand mal seizure, wet my pants, fell into a 25 minute hiccupping session that was later cured with narcotic medication, had both of my ear drums spontaneously burst, and managed to squirt cerebral spinal fluid out of my eyeballs, so you're probably dead on with your assessment...

cheers

Pete

post #12 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 4:10 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
PS, the HID self-levelling lights in my 535i made me short out my heated seats the first time I used them and I had a brain aneurism, a grand mal seizure, wet my pants, fell into a 25 minute hiccupping session that was later cured with narcotic medication, had both of my ear drums spontaneously burst, and managed to squirt cerebral spinal fluid out of my eyeballs, so you're probably dead on with your assessment...
Then I hesitate to say this, but a low beam HID kit for the LT can be had from CQLight.ca for less than $130 shipped, and less than $220 for low & high. Probably less than what you've spent on bulbs and auxiliary lights already.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by parishollow
where is video?
You'll have to look under his pictures for the video
then you'll probably ask yourself (like I did) where is the deer?
well tell us Pete where is it?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 8:52 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

the original video leading up to that block was 25 mins long and 340K. Being a graduate of Keith Code's school and an MSF instructor, I was looking thru the curve, unfortunately, I've watched every frame of that video and because of the position of the helmet, my eyes tracked it, but the cam did not. If you'd like 25 mins of really nice video leading up to my owie, drop me a line, I'll burn ya' a CD, can show you pics of the nastiest case of poison ivy my doc ever saw, as a result of where I ended up, too.

(couple pics here...first one shows the concrete erosion control walls that almost was the cause of discontinuation of forward motion, third was the poison ivy that added insult to injury, last was the almost 6-foot cottonmouth snake that was 2 feet from me, curled under the bike, that was PLENTY pissed when goober and his brother dragged my bike from the ditch after...why he didn't take a few bites out of me, I still don't know).

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	modified to show concrete c.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	4774   Click image for larger version

Name:	RT in the woods.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	4775   Click image for larger version

Name:	right arm again c6.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	4776   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 ft cottonmouth was under bike and next to me-thick as your wrist.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	4777  

post #15 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Pete
Glad you're allright and No disrespect intended
but I've got to call you on this one,
you say you're a graduate of Keith code school and an MSF instructor.
In one of the last frames of your video I can see the skin of your left arm
the same one that has all the poison ivy.
Now we both know that if you had been wearing "the gear"
you wouldn't have gotten that little "bonus" in your accident.

As for the snake, damn..... at least it wasn't a skunk

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #16 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 2:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Geeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Pete
Glad you're allright and No disrespect intended
but I've got to call you on this one,
you say you're a graduate of Keith code school and an MSF instructor.
In one of the last frames of your video I can see the skin of your left arm
the same one that has all the poison ivy.
Now we both know that if you had been wearing "the gear"
you wouldn't have gotten that little "bonus" in your accident.

As for the snake, damn..... at least it wasn't a skunk

Wow, Hans, I guess I can save postage on a holiday card for you and the missus...what's with the nastiness?

It was 96 degrees that day, so I did indeed leave the Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket in the saddlebag (note, however, in the pics the icon riding jeans, the matrix boots, and in the vid the Shoei RF1000 helmet and Phoenix gloves...so I get partial credit--now whether the oils from the poison ivy or oak would have penetrated the mesh of the jacket I chose not to wear during the accident because I was overheated, I guess that would take a scientific trial...). Since I wasn't carving curves at high speed, the airflow wasn't enough to keep me cool, so I admittedly left the jacket in the bag instead of on my torso...if that is worth not one but two "I'm calling you on this one" posts, then I must have inadvertently said something to offend you somehow, and for that I apologize, because I don't understand why else you'd be taking a nasty stance here...

Not sure when this thread turned into a "flame fest," when the rest of the site is so damn friendly, but I do have some issue with your response to me. I noticed in your profile you are a formal Harley rider, a pic below shows a newspaper article pic of me in front of the Harley-Davidson-sponsored rig that houses 21 police road kings and travels 12 months a year training police officers to be police motorcycle officers during a 2-week program. I ran that for 6 1/2 years and served as an instructor (for more details, feel free to visit http://www.harley-davidson.com and click on "motorcycles" then on "Police, Fleet & firefighter" then on Training to learn about the program). Just for the sake of defending my fragile honor, over 1,400 officers were trained during that time period, all of whom can make a road king or electra-glide dance in areas that most of the populace couldn't do with a bicycle, but I digress...

Call me a dumb*** for not wearing my jacket when I had an unfortunate accident, hey cool, no problem (I've said it to myself for a month every time I winced from broken ribs or itched before the steroids took away the rash).

Tell me you could care less if I had a crash. Doesn't matter to me either...but I'd never wish on anyone what I went through...I posted the info and the video because people I've shown it to thought it was interesting/entertaining/informational to watch.

But essentially calling me a liar without even knowing me? Isn't that the fodder of teenage chatrooms on AOL, and not that of forum postings for people with higher taste who choose the pleasure of riding fine motorcycles and meeting even finer people? Me, I'd much rather meet ya' and find out what we have in common and who knows, maybe even cross paths someday (without deer, preferably) than pass judgement, but maybe I have a different perspective on things.

Like I typed above, if something I typed in an earlier post somehow upset or offended you, it was unintentional and I offer an apology...I can't imagine any other reason for the nasty tone of your posts here.

Be safe and be well,

Pete

post #17 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 3:07 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

oops

pics...I guess I need to wear a jacket AND buy a copy of "posting to threads for dummies..."

Happy and Safe holiday, all

P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	petebike.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	4790   Click image for larger version

Name:	jnews fri motor cops d 183.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	631.0 KB
ID:	4791  

post #18 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Huh

What happened to iPods and headlights? I guess I should go back and read all the postings in this thread.

As far as saying you had a dumb question (or at least that is what it sounds like when you say "make fun of me later") I didn't even know there was a way to hook an iPod without an ICELINK thingy! So many thanks! Now I know another option!!!
post #19 of 22 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Whoaa buddy, you're reading me all wrong
go back to the first line in my post "no disrespect intended"
there is no nastyness here and none intended.
We are all friends here so don't get so defensive.
I don't like for anyone to crash and get hurt and I know about both of those subjects well as I totaled my K1200LT just a couple of months ago hitting an Elk up in Idaho.
Now you have some impressive credentials and are obviously a dedicated and experienced rider, when I said "I'm gonna call you on this one" well as an instructor shouldn't you practice what you preach?

I'm not even sure where you get some of the things you go on about but it is obvious you didn't understand me "at all" and took my post way out of perspective.

I have no interest in flames, bickering or any of that negative nonsense.

Lets you and I both take a step back and start over and try to be friends.

You told me all about yourself and took the time to read my profile, if you're interested and have the time read my recent trip report here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7868

I'm hoping it will help you get to know me and maybe improve our communication with each other

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #20 of 22 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:43 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

olive branch extended...

mea culpa, and apologies, and would enjoy much the opportunity to get to know ya and share experiences (though I wish "totalling a precious motorcycle" wasn't one of the things we have in common).

I take safety very seriously, being four hours away from home in what my thermometer said was 96 degree heat made me decide that going jacketless was a lesser risk than heat exhaustion. The 3-inch in diameter scar on my right forearm that I'll enjoy the rest of my life will be a constant reminder of my bad decision, I suppose your comment struck a nerve that it shouldn't have, and I apologize for taking it the wrong way.

We all have our brushes with our own mortality. Me, I had my first brain surgery three years ago this month to reduce pain from an inoperable brain tumor (pics below, with warnings that those with weak stomachs should NOT click to enlarge--I tell people who ask that I "had a chainsaw accident"). Harley, BMW, or Vespa, anything with two wheels brings me a level of peace and solitude I experience almost nowhere else in my life, and the people I've met since I started riding are the best human beings in the world.

So, I apologize if my skin wasn't thick enough and took your posts as a personal attack on something I both love and value, I apologize for those reading the thread who wondered "what the bloody hell was all THAT about?" and I say..."have a wonderful weekend, and get some miles in everyone!"

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Timmy Highlighted.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	4794   Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	4795   Click image for larger version

Name:	look ma, no band-aids.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	4796  

post #21 of 22 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 1:20 pm

Pete
Back in the old days (I've got almost 20 years on you) when two guys had a misunderstanding they would take it out back and try to knock the sh*t out of each other, that would usually end with both coming back in having a beer and saying things like, damn you're a lot tougher and a better fighter than I thought you were and this was often the start of a good friendship.

I for one am glad that we don't have to do that anymore.
Now that you and I have had our "little scuffle" lets get past this and on to the good stuff.

Crashing and totaling bikes is not the only thing we have in common, our Dutch heritage and our passion for safety, is probably just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
I never did the MSF stuff but have always been involved in things like the safety committee at work and I did several years as a volunteer safe boating course instructor, which paid of for me as I met my wife through one of the classes I taught.
That's not to say I've always done things right, my list of "stupid things I've done" is as long as.......well just take my word for it, it's long.
It was probably insensitive of me to give you static for not wearing "the gear", "kinda like the pot calling the kettle black" (one of those things my mother used to say).
I would have done better in my crash if I had worn my gloves but it was too much of a hassle to take them of and on everytime I wanted to use the camera, so like you, I knew better, did it anyway and paid the price.
All the education we've got doesn't do us any good if we don't use it.
Kinda like getting a college degree and working at the carwash because it's an easy job.
Doing the right thing is usually not the easiest.
I always cringe when I hear things like:
I didn't wear my helmet because I was only going to the store and back.

Anyway enough of that, I can see by those pictures (you're right they're not pretty) that you've got enough problems and you're here because you love motorcycles, particularly the LT and the people that are attracted to it.
Well you've come to the right place,
I hope we'll meet somewhere, someday,
next time I'm in Texas I'll give you a shout, the first beverage is on me.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #22 of 22 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 1:55 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

takin' notes...

Sounds like a deal, and when I'm in Florida (as long as it's not Miami...never been terribly fond of that place), we can compare scars over diet coke and key lime.

Pete "humbled but still smilin--and looking for a good pair of wooden shoe riding boots" Van Dyke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in