Replacing a head lamp bulb....am I missing something - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Replacing a head lamp bulb....am I missing something

Went to vist my local BMW shop since I recently purchased my first BMW an 02 LTC with some extras. On the ride there I discover my low beam headlamp is out. No problem, I buy the lamp get home open up the shop manual and find out I have to dismantle 1/2 the bike it seems to change the bulb.Is it really necessary to remove the side then upper fairing to do this. Should I attempt this or should I have the dealer do it and what would I expect to pay.
Thanks in advance
Steve Marshall
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 2:52 pm

If you have the hands of a Giant then you might want to dismantle the bike.
You might be able to replace it without doing much but it requires a tool to get the lamp keeper loose.
Just slide the metal bail away and remove the cover. the low beam is held in by a spring steel wire clamp secured by a screw. I can't remember if it's a torx or just a phillips. Just unplug the lamp remove the screw and free the lamp from the lampholder. Re assembly is the reverse.

Truly I don't know if there's enough room to get your hands in there to change it out or not... The tupperware removal is not that big of a deal...It'll take you about an hour to remove all that is necessary to remove the nose cone.

I'd sure try to do it without removing the tupperware......Those who have done it will chime in soon, I'm sure.

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 3:10 pm

Lamp bulb

What lamp bulb are you replaceing it with.......I am looking to replace mine in the near future before a long trip, I also have a 02.

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 3:14 pm

Low Beam replacement

Steve, I just replaced the low beam on my 02 LTC and it is fairly easy.

Get a trouble light that won't burn you it makes this job must easier.

I layed on a creaper and pulled the spring retainer that holds the light housing cover on down.

The Low Beam bulb is the top bulb with the spade connectors. It is held in with two spring clip wires. Gently push these wires towards the bulb then towards each other. The wire loop on the ends attaches to a plastic hook. Don't break that hook. These wires pivot out towards the rear of the bike.

Pull the bulb out.

Install the new bulb paying attention to the groove location. I believe it goes up.

Reinstall spring clips that hold the bulb in place.

Reconnect the wires.

Install the housing cover and spring retainer.

Go Riding..

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 17 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 3:15 pm

Replacing high or low beam bulbs on an '02 is not difficult. You do NOT have to remove any fairing pieces! Where did you hear that?

Easiest way is to lie down by the front wheel and look up under the fairing so you can see what you are doing. Push the wire clip off the cover, pull the cover off, and you will see the bulbs. The low beam bulb is the bottom one, press the ends of the clip together and swing the clip out of the bulb, remove it, put the new bulb in, then snap the retainer clip back over the bulb and into the catches.

High beam has a holder that has to be removed, the bulb removed from the holder, new bulb put in it, then the holder put back in the housing. Put the cover back on, push the clip back over it until it snaps in, you are done.

Forgot to add: Be sure you do not touch the quartz part of the bulb with your fingers! If you do, use alcohol to clean it off before putting it in. The quartz halogen bulbs run HOT, and finger print oils burn and etch into the surface, causing early bulb failure.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by dshealey; Jun 21st, 2006 at 5:34 pm. Reason: additional info
post #6 of 17 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Thank you

Thanks to all. Point of note the low beam bulb is in the back. As directed
"Install the new bulb paying attention to the groove location. I believe it goes up." That is correct ,I didn't and it goes only one way, gave me problems until I figures that out.

DSHealy, I got that info from a service manual that i paid for and downloaded. It seemed absurd and Im glagd you guys set me straight.

MHMORG I went to the dealer and they gave me part # 63 21 7 160 781
It was excactly what I needed $13

dshealey ....................perfect
post #7 of 17 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlfeat
Thanks to all. Point of note the low beam bulb is in the back. ----------------------------------
Yep, I knew that! Don't know why I said it was the bottom one.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 17 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:36 pm

Owner's Guide Has Instructions

I replaced my low beam without taking the tupperware off, it was pretty easy. I too had looked in the service manual, which did indicate you had to dimantle the bike. When I asked the dealer how much for them to do it and they quoted $14 labor, I knew it didn't have to come apart.

I looked in one of the owner's guide booklets that came with the bike, and the instructions were right in there on how to change the bulb without taking the fairing off.

From now on, I think I will double check the owner's guide booklets on other service tasks just to make sure they don't show an easier way.

Jeff
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 7:13 am

I changed my low beam one night after a little ride that showed the bulb was blown. It took about 5 minutes. I don't have a manual. I just looked at it and thought this is how to do it. I can't believe that BMW would put it in the manual that you have to remove body parts!
post #10 of 17 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlfeat
... I got that info from a service manual that i paid for and downloaded. It seemed absurd and Im glagd you guys set me straight.
The layout of the service manual is a little confusing, if you follow the index to the page for "Renewing bulbs" the first thing on the page is the section of "Removing and installing headlight", the entire headlight assembly. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that they are related. The reaction of most people is the same as yours, "I have to do what to change a bulb? There's got to be something wrong."

In additon to the bright work light, a low table to lie on, and your reading glasses are real helpful.

Motor On ,/'

post #11 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Question Replacing a head light bulb...am I missing

I too, had to replace the low beam head light bulb. The manual said the same thing, remove all the tupperware, and the BMW mechanic made me feel silly as he did it in less than a minute. This brings up a question. There are some 60 chapters in the manual, I only get some 20 or so. Where is the rest of it? What does BMW wish not to tell us?
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 9:54 pm

It's no picnic

As usual, all the help that we need many times comes from our experienced brothers who have gone before us. The only thing that I was going to add was that I used a picnic table bench as my creeper and the height worked nicely. I also had cooked wires which have been shored up better than new. but that's a different thread.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #13 of 17 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 11:13 am

Low beam

Ok I just found that mine is burned out! Going to try to replace it can I use any 55w bulb I am looking at the Phillips 55w H7.

I did read the post and the low beam is in the back not the bottom is this right?

Thanks
post #14 of 17 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 11:24 am

Kevin,
The bottom bulb is the parking light. This bulb is very small. You can get to the low beam by reaching your hand up behind the headlight assembly, pushing up the retaining clip, and replacing the bulb.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #15 of 17 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 1:09 pm

H7

Can I use any H7 bulb thats 55W?
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 1:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

May I suggest...?

My low beam bulb died on me while traveling back home with 80 more miles to go, at night, in heavy rain. Did I mention it was also uphill?
Fortunately I had a set of PIAAs auxiliary lights that allowed me to finish my journey.
Since most motorcycles, LT included, only have 1 low beam I strongly recommend to add a set of auxiliary lights, may they be PIAAs, Motolites, or any other brand...! For one thing they can save your bacon should your low beam decides to quit on you in the middle of nowhere. Also the added visibility (conspicuity) will be an added welcome feature.
You will find many suggestions, advice, and possibly start a religious war when discussing which brand is better... but just make sure you add auxiliary lights to your mount. Joe (Messy13) favors the Motolites, while I have heart set on PIAAs (because I know I am right!!! ).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 17 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 1:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmorg
Can I use any H7 bulb thats 55W?
Yes, that's the one! No specific brand is required or needed.
Of course there is another option, discussed in great length on this forum: HID low beam... But that is another story. Just do a quick search and you may be sold on the HID.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in