K1200LT Speaker Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Speaker Replacement

Hi all. Don't often post, but any sage advice I could get would be mighty appreciated.

I've got a '99 K1200LT Custom. I pipe an MP3 player through a cassette adapter, and it used to work great. But the volume is simply too low anymore. I used to kid and tell people "I know when I'm going too fast when I can no longer hear the stereo," but now I can't hear the stereo at 50mph. Which is clearly not too fast. At least not to me.

Now, I know I'm getting old and deaf, but I'm not that old. So what's an Eltee Pilot to do? I've thought of two potential options:

1) Replace the speakers in my bike. I'm sure one or two of them have stopped working after fifteen years.
2) Ditch the stereo for a helmet-mounted headset, preferably one with Bluetooth, as I'm a Pandora junkie.

So, Eltee squadron, any sage-like wisdom you care to impart me with? Any would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gregory Pius
Portland, Oregon
'99 Canyon Red K1200LT Lorelei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 2:32 pm

Garage
Re: K1200LT Speaker Replacement

If it is just speakers, test with a good one
Then go to auto store pay $25 for a pair and make it work

I play pandora all day long also
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 2:54 pm

u can try cleaning theconnectors, plug into ur mp3 player, clean the head on ur cass adapter.

I recently removed the radio unit inmy 00, using a sensa 10 blue tooth to my garmin gps blue tooth and aster market head set elements with a wiring harness I made from mils surplus teflon insulation coax, fully shield copper wires silver coated with a copper center conducter also silver coated. Speakers mad a big improvement over the senba ones. wiring harness also mad a BIG improvement!! Sound is so much better now, fun to listen to even when using foarm ear plugs on interstates.

Making the wiring harness requires patience and just half way good solder skills.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 5:28 pm

I had the same problem which may be related to age, jet engines. I went to the AmpliRider. Do a google or Bing and get wall kinds of info.
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 7:27 pm

Garage

I'd go with the Bluetooth. I have Sena unit's and love them. I run my mp3 player(pugged into a tiny B/T xmtr) my phone and GPS and the thing prioritizes everything as well as being a great intercom. The latest Sena firmware allows music sharing via intercom as well as pairing ability with various other brands of communicators. Sounds great at 20mph and 80mph.

Ride Safe, Bill
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:02 pm

get a sena, get some custom fit earphones, be happy

if you decide to swap out the speakers, I have a step by step, search for speaker replacement

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help, gang. I think I'm going to take the advice of those suggesting a good helmet-mounted solution, and simply abandon the stereo in my LT.

Besides, in the fifteen years I've had LTs--and this has a lot to do with my taste in music--I've exchanged as many embarrassing, uncomfortable, derisive looks at stoplights with other drivers over the music blaring through my fairing than I think I ever want to share with anyone--and that includes people I was married to.

Think I'll check out the Sena line.

Thanks to all who answered!

Gregory Pius
Portland, Oregon
'99 Canyon Red K1200LT Lorelei
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Garage

With a helmet solution, you cannot be obnoxious and share you music with everyone. I get more thumbs up from people about my music selections.
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 3:26 am

Sounds like the amplifier in the radio unit may need to be replaced.

Tags
audio, speakers, stereo, stingray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in