Millenhaus Trunk Latch Repair Kit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:17 pm Thread Starter
ytk

Millenhaus Trunk Latch Repair Kit

My trunk latch just now fractured in the upper left-hand corner. Gotta trip coming up in 6 days and will not have time to repair it before leaving. When I return I'll be submitting a claim to my extended warranty company.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting the Millenhaus Repair Kit. Anyone have experience installing this kit? Is it really better than stock? Well, I guess I can answer that--anything is probably better than stock! I'd be interested in getting feedback on the quality and installation easy (or difficulty) of this kit.

Thanks,
YTKinWI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:29 pm

Exclamation Food for thought...

Just remove the left pin from the lid, and revisit your options upon your return.
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:48 pm

Got it for fathers/B-day day

Hope to install it this weekend. Quality looks great with extensive instructions included. Will let you know how the install goes.......

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 6:01 am

I hope you like the work that Zotter and I have invested in the Latch replacement kit! ......Best, Billet.....
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytk
My trunk latch just now fractured in the upper left-hand corner. Gotta trip coming up in 6 days and will not have time to repair it before leaving. When I return I'll be submitting a claim to my extended warranty company.

Thanks,
YTKinWI
Mine is also broke, when we had the tech session in Ohio 6-17-06
Mike (Medina OH) told me that if the other side broke in the locked position, it will be stuck closed.
Since the key is the handle to turn the latch hooks, this makes sence.
I pulled the E-clips and pins till I figure a repair/replacement., Now like Mike's it is held closed by gravity.
Rock
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:50 am

Well, of course it's better! And of course, I'm not biased at all.

It carries a lifetime warantee against breakage under normal use. We can do overnight shipping. Ground shipping to the lower 48 usually runs 3 to 5 days, depending on where you are. Once it arrives, in just a couple of hours (less if you're more of a wrench type) you can have the latch kit installed. I've several packed up and ready to go now.

If by chance you're passing through town or nearby - holler, I can install 'em for you.

If you want to remove your tail trunk and ship the whole thing here - I can install the kit and ship it all back to you ready to go as well.

You can also read some of the comments from others that've installed our kit.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8963

I'd assume you've already looked at the pictuers in the gallery and the comments in the product support board at http://millenhas.com

Any and all comments, questions or suggestions (constructive!) welcome!
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:45 pm

Thumbs up 2.5 Hour Install

Install went well. Instructions were great! Had trouble with the use of my sausage fingers on removal of the very small clips and parts.... Use of a right angle drill on the removal of rivet heads inside the back of trunk would help alot. 3/8 drill bit works great as long you have a very short bit on a regular drill. Used roto-tool to remove rivet heads. The only problem is you have to be very careful of heat build up when using a grinding bit with the moto-tool. I did have a small amount of plastic melted during this process. Other than the cost, this is a very well thought out and quality made product. With the amount of machine work and the sourcing of the proper stainless screws that went into this latch I think it's a bargin. I waited a good eight months for someone to take the time to fix this damn thing. Nothing worse than having your HD buddies point out the broken latch on every ride...Thanks guys, I just wish you could sell alot more of these so you could bring down the cost......Anyone in the So Cal area need help with a install just PM me for help.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 3:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. I'll add your 'melting plastic' caution and right angle drill suggestion to the instructions.

Yea - It'd be nice if we could get the price down some. I don't expect it to happen anytime soon though. Still, considering the alternative....
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 3:51 pm

am i the only one who can't link to millenhause.com? i've been having some system problems today ...
post #10 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 5:03 pm

Just checked from here - it's OK for me.

Can you run a traceroute?

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 5:17 pm

Well, if you are trying to click on the link that was provided by Millenhaus' post, it will not work, he spelled his name incorrectly....haha

he has millenhas.com

it is www.millenhaus.com

that will work. I am there right now.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 5:47 pm

thanks bill.
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 7:18 pm
Gold Supporter

Are these latches fragil or something?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #14 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Are these latches fragil or something?
WAY too many have broken. Yes, it is a poor material for the job. Unfortunately, BMW does not sell the handle seperately, the Millenhaus replacement is MUCH stronger, don't think that one will ever break.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 1:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
Well, if you are trying to click on the link that was provided by Millenhaus' post, it will not work, he spelled his name incorrectly....haha

he has millenhas.com

it is www.millenhaus.com

that will work. I am there right now.
DOH!
Thanks for the catch....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in