my rear rotor is ringing? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Question my rear rotor is ringing?

this sounds funny, but my rear brake rotor appears slightly loose. when rolling the bike around tight spots or when rolling to a stop i hear a slight bell ringing sound like the rear rotor is dangling and pinging against the caliper or visa versa.

When I give the rotor a jiggle it seems to have a little play? My gut says the rotor should be imobile. is there an adjustment or other possible thing I am missing?

my 2002 has only 6,500 miles. I just swapped out the pads to kill the squeal. No brake warning lights has me thinking everything is OK, but I have a couple of 3K trips coming up very soon and want to make sure I'm ok?

any thoughts appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:27 pm

Your gut is wrong. Your rotors should "float".
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:36 pm

"Float" as in front rotors - ok.

Clang like cow bell - not ok.

Until you hear it, it is hard to believe a $15,000 motorcycle could sound like this. I have one myself, and mine was supposedly replaced once before.

Perhaps someone can get mine modified to fit on a new GT so that the sound can be properly appreciated. No need for horn or loud pipes - just hit a little bump and heads will turn.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 2:48 pm

RR discs on LTs

all LT rear discs(in particular) have some play-some to the point of making clunking noises. I've replaced them when they made too much clunking noise-in response to a customer complaint, but sometimes after a little wear the clunking will return. this is only a problem if the disc/mounts wear to the point that there is a lot of play. at that point replacement is necessary. have a look at a brand new one on a showroom floor-same thing. also use updated rr pads on all LTs to minimize noise-new pads have rubber coated backing plate-old pads no plate.
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 5:23 pm

Smile my rear rotor is ringing?

Had the same issue with my 03, thay replaced it at 32K under warranty, rang/rattled like a bell.

Bob R.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in