more about the final drive (does it ever end?) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

more about the final drive (does it ever end?)

My drive went TU recently leaving me baking in the Western Washington sun..(Yay, Sun!!) I got the bike to a safe place, removed the drive, took it home, and proceeded to dismantle it to view the destruction....Problem occurred when I tried to remove the brake rotor...I had consulted my clymers first, and it said to heat the fastener to 250 degrees with a heat gun....I don't have a thermometer but I figured 250 was a bunch. I heated the screw, and tried to turn it...no joy..I heated it again, still no joy, got out the torch, heated the crap out of it, got 1 turn before it quit turning, then I ended up stripping the hex opening on the screw...crap! I tried to get the other screw out, a little heat, a little torq, pop, unscrewed just like it should...I have now drilled out the head on the other one, and tried to heat it, use a vise grip, prayed over it using terminology found in devil worship!!! lol! No joy, What is holding it? I could see that the other screw had some type of loctite on it, and assumed the heating process was to loosen or soften the loctite. I guess I'll have to take it to a machine shop to get it removed. Any thoughts appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beringandstud.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	59554  

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 6:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: more about the final drive (does it ever end?)

You can just leave it alone as the only reason those are there is to hold the rotor on when you remove the wheel. One is sufficient. With the wheel on you have five big bolts holding the rotor.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
My drive went TU recently leaving me baking in the Western Washington sun..(Yay, Sun!!) I got the bike to a safe place, removed the drive, took it home, and proceeded to dismantle it to view the destruction....Problem occurred when I tried to remove the brake rotor...I had consulted my clymers first, and it said to heat the fastener to 250 degrees with a heat gun....I don't have a thermometer but I figured 250 was a bunch. I heated the screw, and tried to turn it...no joy..I heated it again, still no joy, got out the torch, heated the crap out of it, got 1 turn before it quit turning, then I ended up stripping the hex opening on the screw...crap! I tried to get the other screw out, a little heat, a little torq, pop, unscrewed just like it should...I have now drilled out the head on the other one, and tried to heat it, use a vise grip, prayed over it using terminology found in devil worship!!! lol! No joy, What is holding it? I could see that the other screw had some type of loctite on it, and assumed the heating process was to loosen or soften the loctite. I guess I'll have to take it to a machine shop to get it removed. Any thoughts appreciated...
Go with JZ's suggestion. Or if you have to have it out place a nut over the offending remnant and weld the nut to the stub, let it cool and back it out.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 7:12 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have removed dozens of those screws & have never used any heat. I just use slow steady pressure with a T-Handle & a good Snap-On socket. I remove 4 of them last Sunday.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 8:07 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Bit late now I guess, but I've seen that after heating up the screw to soften the locktite next spray some coolant spray just on the head.
That might shrink the screw a bit too.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 8:33 pm

The countersunk head screws are crap quality, easy to have the allen key slip in the hex. If you are insistent on replaceing them, go for Unbarako brand, grade 10.9 or similar. Install using some anti-sieze compound rather than Loctite. As JZ stated though, they really arent necessary, the wheel clamps the disc rotor in place.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Sounds good to me, I know the rotors on most cars these days don't even have a screw or bolt in them, just the wheel lugs to hold them on, which does a pretty good job.
Thanks guys!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in