1Likes
  • 1 Post By djbroughton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 6:20 am Thread Starter

Post Front wheel wobble-ing ???

Hi all,

Sorry that the word's not accurate but French guy here

Here's my situation :
At very low speed just before complete stop and on the first meters of a start I have the strange feeling that the front wheel is vibrating or it wants to go right AND left at the same time. I know it happens sometimes with used bearings, but I lift the front of the bike, check it and it seems alright... I already checked the front shock and it's not leaking or anything. The direction shock doesn't seems wrong either

I own the bike since last december and already put 8k on it, but this feeling is pretty new

Any suggestions ?

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 7:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Howdy Frenchy!

lots of data here about "wobble" or "noise" when turning. Usually diagnosed to "cupping" or "wave" that wears into the tires, primarily the front (bow) end.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 9:24 am

It's your tires. The front, or the rear, or both. Strange things start to happen as the tires of an 850-pound bike start to wear out.

post #4 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:04 am

It's very hard to believe it has anything to do with tire wear since my 05' LT has had the same problem since about 569 miles new. IF, the design or assembly procedures cannot tolerate reasonable tire wear without this phenomena, I'd suggest the German engineers skip HOLIDAY this year and root-cause and fix this issue once and for all!

From what I have read on this board, this issue started with the 05' model year so if that is true, what did they do to the redesign from 04' to 05' which caused/allowed this to happen?

I think I mentioned this before but, I hear the GL1800 riders experience the same wobble AND, I had a 97' GL1500SE that did it also even after 3 sets of tire changes.

As it was with the "surging" on the oil heads prior to the twin-spark which BMW denied for YEARS", the root-cause will eventually be found and it will "not" be "tires"!

Last edited by leckhart; Jun 21st, 2006 at 10:12 am.
post #5 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:08 am

It's the tires. Replace them or wait until they need replacing then do it.
I have had three of these bikes and each did the same thing on older tires.
Ken
post #6 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:19 am

Kenny, time will tell but my bet is on a design flaw of the bike - be it rake, bearings or a combination of the two. Tires will be tires and if the design is such that tires will work fine on one MC but cause a problem like this on another, the designers need to design a unique tire to handle a flawed design!

So would you say that I should have changed my 05' LT tires at 569 miles to eliminate the problem?

Time will tell!
post #7 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:32 am

I would say that my 2005 had the same problem and I just rode the bike; it did not bother me enough to be concerned about it. I know that another rider the "wobble" may of concern to them, but to me it was not a problem.
post #8 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:40 am

My personal experience is wobble with the old tires. No wobble with the new. But then I only have 200 miles on the new (880 old, 020 new) As some have pointed out some of the causal factors could be design of the suspension or tire pressure or tire wear or the way the bike is loaded, ie., heavy passenger or cargo. As long as you can rule out a mechanical issue like you mentioned with the bearings, keep your hands on the grips and enjoy the ride.
post #9 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Exclamation What brand of tires?

Salut Frenchy! What brand of tires do you have on the bike? Metzeler or Bridgestone? And what mileage do you have on them?
The Metz will last about twice as long as the BT, but with less grip (especially in the rain). So your mileage on your tires may be an indication of what might cause the wobble.
I average 6k miles on the BT and about 12 K miles on the Me.
Note: after trying the BT020 I will not go back to the ME880.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
What brand of tires do you have on the bike? Metzeler or Bridgestone? And what mileage do you have on them?
I have a Metzeler Z6 front (seems there's not a lot here)
and a brand new BT020 rear (just replaced last week after a non repairable "flat")

The Z6 has less than 6k miles but it seems pretty worn. I think this may be the cause... I guess it needs to be changed.

As for the rear BT020, it was on the bike at purchase. It had minimum 7k miles but there was a lot of thread remaining. Guess it would run a full 12k or more.

I checked the pressures as I went back from work today. Just perfect as factory says : 2.5b front / 2.9b rear

Thanks anyway everyone for the advice

BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
post #11 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:27 pm

Mine would start wobble at around 3000 miles on BT020. Since I've change to 880's never had a wobble.
post #12 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:28 pm
Ric

Wobble

Frenchy...will bet you a weeks pay that the problem is tire related or balance. My 05 LT had 020's on it new and they started a wobble at about 3,000 mi. Replaced them with Metz's and a GOOD balance job and no problems in last 8000 mi. There is nothing wrong with the front end design period, but there is a lot of weight on the front tire which can amplify and add to tire/balance problems. FYI, the problem with Goldwing wobble seems to come from the fact they have a head bearing issue. Wing owners report that replacing the ball bearings with tapered ones seems to take care of the problem. Hope this helps.....Ric
post #13 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Frenchy...will bet you a weeks pay that the problem is tire related or balance.
Wow, that has to be considered

post #14 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 2:00 pm

Tire wobble

Just to throw a different "spin" on this, I just had my tires both replaced at the Chief Joseph rally in Oregon. They were replaced with Metzler Marathon 880's and tire pressure is good at 42 and 48 psi. I now have a distinct wobble that doesn't start until about 140 kph (I know, I know, what am I doing going that fast anyway) but the fact is I can't go over that speed because the wobble is so bad. Any ideas?
Tricky_dickey likes this.

Dave B
Calgary, Alberta
08 R1200RT
post #15 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 2:27 pm

Smile Your front tire not rated for lt

Frenchy, Your Metz Z6 is not rated for the Lt if my memory serves me right. I would replace it with a matching front tire to the same type as the rear tire. The Z6 tire is for the lighter GT bike. I bet the wobble will go away when you do this. Let us know how it works out. Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
I have a Metzeler Z6 front (seems there's not a lot here)
and a brand new BT020 rear (just replaced last week after a non repairable "flat")

The Z6 has less than 6k miles but it seems pretty worn. I think this may be the cause... I guess it needs to be changed.

As for the rear BT020, it was on the bike at purchase. It had minimum 7k miles but there was a lot of thread remaining. Guess it would run a full 12k or more.

I checked the pressures as I went back from work today. Just perfect as factory says : 2.5b front / 2.9b rear

Thanks anyway everyone for the advice

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #16 of 19 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrehder
Frenchy, Your Metz Z6 is not rated for the Lt if my memory serves me right. I would replace it with a matching front tire to the same type as the rear tire. The Z6 tire is for the lighter GT bike. I bet the wobble will go away when you do this. Let us know how it works out. Ride safe!
I agree that the problem might be magnified with the incorrect size front tire but I usually have a very slight wobble with a new stone in the rear. I get it when I am caught in heavy traffic and I 'inch' along with the bike up to 3 or 4 MPH and with power being applied to the rear tire. I can feel a slight 'wobble'.. I've gotten used to it with new tires... when the rear stone gets uneven wear I find that I get a much harsher wobble that appears at higher speeds with acceleration and that will disappear with a new rear tire. The stones will wobble when severely worn (cupped/feathered) and the Metzler 880s will sing... Personally the wobble is my choice.

You can use a Bridgestone BT020 for the front that has a 120/70ZR17 size because it has a similar load rating and a higher speed rating than the standard 120/70R17 (it has a slightly smaller radius and that is 'almost' acceptable).. I have used a few when the shop has not gotten in what I ordered. You should never use 'fatter' tires. The 160/70ZR17 rear BT020 should never be used on an LT because it is not load rated for the LT. When I order a rear tire.. which I will be doing this week I warn the clerk that I will accept no substitutes...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #17 of 19 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:01 pm

OK...there is nothing wrong with using a Z6 or just about any modern sport bike tire on the FRONT of an LT. According to the Metzeler web site, the Roadtec Z6 has a weight rating of 58, just as required in the LT manual. The REAR tire on the LT is where we need an 'unusual' weight rating that many (most) manufacturers don't produce.

Frenchy, I think your problem is the mileage on the front tire and the air pressures you run. 2.5 bar is 36.2 PSI, 2.9 bar is 42.5 PSI, with 1 bar ~14.5 PSI. Here in the US, most LT riders get better mileage and useful life from their tires by running considerably higher pressures than you posted. The general consensus is 42 PSI front and 46-48 rear, or 2.5 bar front and 3.2-3.3 rear. These pressures seem to delay the onset of cupping and other wear patterns detrimental to ride and handling.

The Z6 is also a more sport oriented tire with softer tread compounds than you will find on a 'touring' tire. 6k miles on a tire such as this on the front of an LT is pretty decent mileage. Replace it with another one, or something similar, raise your air pressure a bit, and I'll bet you will enjoy another 6-8k miles.

I have run Michelin Pilot Road, Bridgestone 020, Metzeler 880, and Avon all successfully on the front of my LT. Currently I am trying a Conti RoadAttack and it is the best of the lot so far. My only hesitation recommending it is that it grips so well that I find it hard to believe that I will get very long life from it. Time will tell.

Good Luck!/Bon Chance!

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #18 of 19 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:02 pm

It's your tire!!! BTDT....

Not only LT's but go on the Gold Wing board and you will find the same thing happening there, too!

So, change it and JUST RIDE IT!!!
post #19 of 19 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun54
OK...there is nothing wrong with using a Z6
Thanks

Quote:
The general consensus is 42 PSI front and 46-48 rear, or 2.9 bar front and 3.2-3.3 rear.
It's noted. I'll try this

Quote:
Currently I am trying a Conti RoadAttack and it is the best of the lot so far. My only hesitation recommending it is that it grips so well that I find it hard to believe that I will get very long life from it. Time will tell.
That's the one I wanted to try but it's almost impossible to find one...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in