Wish me luck... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Wish me luck...

I have been hanging out on this forum not for a while, dreaming about owning one of these fine machines. I test drove one about 3 months ago and fell in love with it but was not ready to jump in.
Today, I am going to a dealer to hopefully buy a 2005 LT. Looks good and has 50K on the clock. I will be giving them my 82 Goldwing in trade. It has been a good bike, but I ride 100 miles a day and it is just too old. It also handles the road like a wet noodle on marshmallows. Good news is that I am already used to riding a big top heavy pig, the LT I rode felt like a sport bike after the Wing.
I will post pictures if all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Wish me luck...

Good Luck! I made the move in late May and my wife and I LOVE the bike.

Ride Safe, Bill
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Wish me luck...

Well, it did not go so well, bike was garbage. see http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104314

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 8:46 pm

I had that problem. They were either too much money or beat to shit. Keep looking .You'll find one.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 30th, 2014, 9:45 pm

There is a fellow from Ohio that has a 2004, 18k, no price listed.....seen at BMW MOA facebook page.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 1:56 pm

Garage
Re: Wish me luck..

Tell me about it! Condition is subjective. I looked at one LT that was in great condition on the web. I spoke with the owner before driving quite a distance to check it out and he restated what great shape the bike was in. Question #1 " Why is there a smiley sticker over the blinking ABS warning light". Keep in mind I asked specifically about ABS issues on the phone. Answer " Oh it's always done that, dealer says it's fine." #2 "Why is the brake pedal pointing down?" Answer "I hit a guardrail with it going down the interstate". #3 "Why does the radio not work?" Answer "Huh, worked yesterday" #4 when were the brakes last done? Answer: " B'out a year ago" I asked this because the wheels were black with brake dust. Turns out the picture in the ad was 4 years old.

We bid farewell, went out for a nice lunch with wifey and laughed about the condition vs. asking price. I learned some new roads, saw some new territory and met some nice people along the way. Be patient, the right one will come along, so enjoy the search. I did however get sick of hearing " I guess It wasn't meant to be" because I myself have NO patience!

Ride Safe, Bill
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I know what you mean, I have waited 3+ months to get a bike. My 82 Goldwing is needing to be replaced. I have looked at the LT's now and settled on them. I even went out and rode several other brands of bikes, but nothing was a good fit for me and my needs. I want an LT. I now have the bank funding it and just want to find the right one.
I would like to find it soo, as I am planning an IBA SS run in mid July and would rather be on an LT than the 32 year old Wing.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 1st, 2014, 10:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
I know what you mean, I have waited 3+ months to get a bike. My 82 Goldwing is needing to be replaced. I have looked at the LT's now and settled on them. I even went out and rode several other brands of bikes, but nothing was a good fit for me and my needs. I want an LT. I now have the bank funding it and just want to find the right one.
I would like to find it soo, as I am planning an IBA SS run in mid July and would rather be on an LT than the 32 year old Wing.
The good news is that a late model LT should be only slightly less reliable than a 32 year old wing!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 2:28 am

Oldmopars, there are a couple here in Alberta for sale if you fancy a trip to Edmonton or Camrose. Argyle Motorsports have a 2009 for $15500 Canadian. They have had it a while now sure you would get a good deal

http://www.argyllmotorsports.com/def...W_K_1200LT.jpg

And Camrose these two
http://www.camrosecycle.com/inventor...05-bmw-k1200lt

http://www.brokersmarine.com/motorcy...55d06ed128b33e

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 11:00 am

Old Mopars

So tell us old Mopar owners what you have!!!!!

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in