BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Bizarre Radio & Elec. Centerstand Behavior

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  atps1234 
#1 ·
OK oh knowing ones, I have a weird one here. Have had the radio problem where it just won't work at all, disconnect the battery for a few hours and all is well, etc. Recommendation from BMW service was to turn the radio off before shutting down, and waiting until after engine start to turn on the radio.

Now I am seeing new, strange behavior. Radio will come on for a while after starting up, but turns off on its own after a few minutes. Handlebar and tank-top controls may or may not respond during this time. Will come back on when I push the "on" button but won't remain on for long. "Radio" slot on the display is often blank, sometimes if I change the station the station display comes up, once it said "NO RADIO".

During the same time, my electric centerstand has been acting oddly, not deploying (fast flashing) in places where it ALWAYS works, like at home in the garage or at work - both completely level locations. No matter what I do, centerstand won't come down. If I turn off the ignition and turn back on, the centerstand works fine.

The fact that these two things are happening at the same time has me worried. I tried the standard "disconnect the battery" cure twice, to no avail. Is this dealer time?

Thanks
OB

See less See more
#2 ·
For what it's worth I'm having the "no radio" problem right now on my 03. Radio worked for a couple minutes each time I pressed the "on" button and then would show "no radio" and turn off. It also would come in spontaneously if the key was on "R". (once in the middle of the night while camping last week - volume was CRANKED UP, I think there are people that were there who may remember my name now :p ) Did that for 2 or 3 days and then stopped working altogether. The amber lights in the radio display just flicker if the key is "on" or "R". Dealer says radio is toast and is putting in a warranty claim to get a new one to change it out with.

let me know what you find out with yours if you don't mind?

#3 ·
But wait, there's more....

I found out something odd last night. My radio works fine when the ignition is in R. I had that thing playing for 20 mins before I realized it wasn't gonna turn off. So that means the radio is OK right? If it works in R, but not when the engine is running, that means it's something electrical?

I love this bike but I miss my radio.

OB

#4 ·
Bob,

Can't speak to the ghost in your radio but I just resolved an intermittent center stand failure issue on my 05.

Symptom was that it sometimes worked and other times not. Fast flashing light. When the stand did deploy it did so at full strength with no indication of a weakness in the stand.

I checked, cleaned and dialectic greased the connectors to no avail. Finally took it down to Irv Seavers in Orange and they quickly discovered the front brake master cylinder piston was not fully rebounding. I would apply the front brake and after releasing it, it did not return to 100% full out. The bike has a switch that senses this condition (both hand and foot brakes) and will not allow the center stand to deploy if it senses anything other than 100% full rebound on the brake lever. In short, the bike thinks you are holding the brake in.

To eliminate this as a possibility, the next time it fails, try pushing the brake lever fully out with your hand after you release it and before pressing the lift button. Each time I did this the stand worked fine. I got to practice this for a while while I waited for the parts to come in.

The fix was a replacement piston kit for the front master brake cylinder. Seems to have done the trick.

#5 ·
atps1234 said:
I found out something odd last night. My radio works fine when the ignition is in R. I had that thing playing for 20 mins before I realized it wasn't gonna turn off. So that means the radio is OK right? If it works in R, but not when the engine is running, that means it's something electrical?

I love this bike but I miss my radio.

OB
I know this sounds off the wall, but I've seen similar symptoms in autos where things behave strangely when the engine is running, but operate normally with key on, engine off.
Have the dealer check the charging system for AC ripple voltage on your bike.

#6 ·
The thing is possessed... or worse!

Today at lunch, went out for a ride, radio came on and stayed on for a good while (10 mins), then while I could still hear the radio, NO RADIO showed on the display. Shortly after, the radio turned off. I was able to turn it back on and later saw the same thing.

At this time I am thinking an intermittent electrical connection issue, possibly to the radio, but may also have something to do with adding MotoLights recently, and soon after a low beam HID upgrade. This weekend I am going to pull the skins and make sure that all of the electrical connections are solid, and that the wires I ran under the tank for the MotoLights aren't shorting out against anything. I may even disconnect them and the HID upgrade to make sure they aren't part of the equation.

I also don't know how any of this relates to my centerstand woes, but it sure started happening at the same time. I verified today that the issue is not a sticky brake lever, brake pedal or sidestand switch. After I am riding, no way can I get the thing to come down - just the fast flash. BUT, if I turn off the ignition and then back on, it comes up immediately. ??????

I think I will re-name her "666"....

OB

#7 ·
I have to admit that I didn't read every post, but I had a similar problem that turned out to be the Icelink adapter for the IPOD. Removed it and the radio worked like a champ. Only took A&S 10 hours of labor to figure it out. $$OUCH!

#8 ·
I'm not an electrical genius (or any other kind now that I think about it) but I don't think HID or aftermarket lights could affect the radio unless you're sharing a ground or power supply?

#9 ·
ice>Link - maybe?

Thanks for the suggestions. I disconnected the ice>Link and disconnected the battery again. I agree the HID low beam conversion and MotoLights are low-likelihood as contributors, but if I bring it in to the dealer I don't want any crap....

Will keep you posted

OB

#11 ·
Thunder Bolts are Go.

Bob I asked the same question from the dealer when we picked up Jenna. The mechanic said it was an electrical check of the EHCS System.
(Electro Hydraulic Center Stand) Cheers

#12 ·
Give That Man A Cigar!!!

Thanks WPNorton!

I disconnected the cable going to my Ice>LINK (the one that normally goes to the CD changer in the right saddlebag) and VIOLA! Not only did this solve the radio-turning-off-after-a-few-minutes problem, but it also fixed the weird problem I was having with my electric centerstand! How these could possibly be related is beyond me (maybe someone who understands the electrical system can chime in), but the darned Ice>LINK was actually affecting the operation of the EHCS. I rode all weekend with nary a problem with the radio or the centerstand. What a joy it is to ride with music again! And no needing to turn off and back on the ignition when I get to where I am going to get the centerstand to come down!

I owe you a beer, my friend...

OB

WPNorton said:
I have to admit that I didn't read every post, but I had a similar problem that turned out to be the Icelink adapter for the IPOD. Removed it and the radio worked like a champ. Only took A&S 10 hours of labor to figure it out. $$OUCH!

#13 ·
Don't think so...

FYI, I think they were shinin' ya, as since I removed the Ice>LINK and my problems went away, I have never seen the little lightning bolt symbol. Now I am thinking this was some kind of indication of an electrical/electronics issue.

Regards,
OB

Hilton said:
Bob I asked the same question from the dealer when we picked up Jenna. The mechanic said it was an electrical check of the EHCS System.
(Electro Hydraulic Center Stand) Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.