Scheduled maintenance checks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:59 am Thread Starter
ajs

Scheduled maintenance checks

My 12,000 mile check is overdue. The first one since I got the bike with 9300 miles on it. Since I am a retired automotive mechanic and I have been riding BMW's for the last 25 years,I know I can competently perform same. I know I won't lose parts/fasteners, etc. AND will torque to proper values in ALL cases. Three questions for you who have done this in the past. What 'special' tools are required? Are there any heads-up messages for me? Does performing your own routine maint. checks invalidate the warranty? I am seriously considering this because the nearest dealer is new and is 250 miles away, and the cost difference. All input is welcome. Thanks for your time. Austin S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:09 pm

my only heads-up is that the integrated brake work looks to be damn -near impossible. i know there are guys on here who can do it... but the process is way more than I could ever dream of handling. i do, however struggle with the basics so maybe i'm not the best source. good luck... let us know how it goes.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
My 12,000 mile check is overdue. The first one since I got the bike with 9300 miles on it. Since I am a retired automotive mechanic and I have been riding BMW's for the last 25 years,I know I can competently perform same. I know I won't lose parts/fasteners, etc. AND will torque to proper values in ALL cases. Three questions for you who have done this in the past. What 'special' tools are required? Are there any heads-up messages for me? Does performing your own routine maint. checks invalidate the warranty? I am seriously considering this because the nearest dealer is new and is 250 miles away, and the cost difference. All input is welcome. Thanks for your time. Austin S.
As far as warranty, I don't know about Canada, but in the US the Magnuson-Moss Act basically states that the dealers cannot require you to have service done by them, nor can they specify brands for oils and other fluids, only the specifications they must meet. Many of us can and do perform all our routine maintenance, and keep the sales receipts for all parts/supplies used which can be presented in case of warranty work being needed (if asked for them).

You won't have any problems doing all the maintenance on the LT, just get a service manual (NECESSARY) and ask questions here. There is little need for purchasing special tools for the routine maintenance, the only thing necessary for the 12K is if you have to remove the cams to adjust valves, you will need a rod to insert in the chain tensioner to hold it back. Any 1/8"-3MM rod will do, the back of a drill works fine. There are tools necessary to do deep work, such as removing the final drive, swingarm, or clutch work, but most of us have made these. Some of the tools in the Service Manual are not needed at all if you are a competent mechanic and understand what you are doing.

As mentioned by someone else, the integrated brakes are the most difficult maintenance task, CAN be done by individuals, see posts here pertaining to same, but most will have the dealer do the bleeding etc.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in