Getting the LT off the deck - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Getting the LT off the deck

I've just read a post by HarrowBMW describing the technique used to lift up his stricken LT after loosing his balance whilst stationary. Anyone have the technique in detail? Is there a thread that has all the info? Be reaallly nice to know this stuff!

Regards
Birdman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Try here:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...lt_faq_lifting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #3 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 5:20 am

I recently used the technique listed in the link to pick my hefty hauler off the pavement after a parking lot drop and found it surprisingly easy! It took a minute to get my back in the right spot on the side of the bike but once I got it the big ol LT righted with no problems. Still embarrassing though...but I guess it happens to the best of us.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056

Thanks for the info Jim!!

Regards
Birdman
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:03 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Video of Picking up bike

Go here and watch how it's done... revspickup.mov

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #6 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:52 am

Wipe the sweat

One of the best parts of that video is at the end where he reaches up to wipe the sweat off his brow... Whew, I did it...

He makes is look easy.

It's not but at least it's doable with the technique shown.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:27 am
Cat Herder

Garage
I can see a lot of folks are interested in the video.... Have had hits starting at 3:00am PST. The server is limited to 25 connections at the same time... SO if you are not getting in to see it right away just wait a minute and try again.

Make sure you have QUICKTIME loaded on your PC. If not you will probably abort.

Tvguy

Last edited by tvguy; Jun 21st, 2006 at 11:31 am. Reason: Add more info
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 4:11 pm

I'm going to disagree. It is that easy to pick it up. If you get your butt in the right place, it is all done with your legs and not your arms. I don't even want to think how many times I've picked mine up because of stupid mistakes. Used the technique to show several others how to pick up a Harley or two, a Valkeryie and a 'wing.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Jun 21st, 2006 at 5:02 pm. Reason: spelling - I'm a big dummy
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 2:27 am

Hi tvguy
Love the video, especially as it took four of us to pick mine up. I noticed that the bike slides a bit before you get it moving up, does this cause any damage to the bike? Would it lift without sliding if there were some kind of block or wedge behind the back wheel?

Dave
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 1:06 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Red face

HI Dave,

I don't know... The bike that was tipped over was not mine. If the bike is in gear it shouldn't roll to far. If you move the bike to much you will definitely scrape up the black side protectors. Sorry I could be more help.

Jeff

Tvguy

post #11 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

very cool vidio I wish I had seen it before I dropped mine last year It was a [email protected]#tch to get up facing the bike

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 5:21 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous2
Hi tvguy
Love the video, especially as it took four of us to pick mine up. I noticed that the bike slides a bit before you get it moving up, does this cause any damage to the bike? Would it lift without sliding if there were some kind of block or wedge behind the back wheel?

Dave
Watch carefully. The movement you see is because the front wheel is off the ground. The back wheel shouldn't move because you should put it in gear before lifting.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous2
Hi tvguy

Dave
Actually, that was my old 2001 with the Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering brackets. It was pivoting on the leftie. That will not happen on a standard footpeg.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
One of the best parts of that video is at the end where he reaches up to wipe the sweat off his brow... Whew, I did it...

He makes is look easy.

It's not but at least it's doable with the technique shown.

John
What you did not see was me practicing before the actual "action!" And it was hot that day, too. As has been said, it's all in the leg action. Keep your back and arms straight, and take short steps.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:20 pm

What about when its on the right side?

As the video shows, lifting from the left is pretty easy...as you can drop the side stand down with your foot whilst balancing...

However, if she is down on the right, I've always had trouble getting her back on the side stand. I put the stand down first (of course) but have felt it necessary to get someone to just balance the bike once up, whilst I run around the other side, to put her down onto the stand...

Anyone have a better way of doing this?

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by onions
As the video shows, lifting from the left is pretty easy...as you can drop the side stand down with your foot whilst balancing...

However, if she is down on the right, I've always had trouble getting her back on the side stand. I put the stand down first (of course) but have felt it necessary to get someone to just balance the bike once up, whilst I run around the other side, to put her down onto the stand...

Anyone have a better way of doing this?
Just let her down easy, Mr. O!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
Just let her down easy, Mr. O!
Thanks Muns! Just feels like in doing so, I'll drop her staight over on to her left...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 8:58 am

Do you think we ought to demonstrate this at CCR? We can use Rover as she's used to it.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in