Age and LT riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Age and LT riders

All of us who ride motorcycles are young men in our hearts regardless of the numbers on our driverís licenses. One of my literary heroes of was Marco Polo. I suppose there is a little Marco Polo in all of us who crave the adventure of traveling new roads to places we havenít been. A touring bike suits riders like us for that reason and itís only personal preference if the bike is an LT or Gold Wing or Ultra Classic. I seldom see very young riders on these bikes. Perhaps because they havenít the time or resources to indulge an extravagant wanderlust. Or maybe when a man is no longer on the sunny side of 50, he is more acutely aware of the ravages of time on his body and seeks to pamper and comfort himself while adventuring. Many years ago, I read a biography of Marco Polo and I quote here a passage about the age of that adventurer. The message has stuck with me over the years.

ďA man stays always the same age somewhere down inside himself. Only the outside of him grows older Ė his wrapping of body, and itís integument, which is the whole world. Inwardly he attains to a certain age, and stays there throughout his whole remaining life. Perhaps that inner age may vary with different individuals. But in general it gets fixed at early maturity, when the mind has reached adult awareness and acuity, but has not been calloused by habit and disillusion; when the body is newly full-grown and feeling the fires of life, but not yet any of life ashes. The calendar and his mirror and the solicitude of his juniors may tell a man that he is old, and he can see for himself that the world and all around him have aged, but secretly he knows he is still a youth of eighteen or twenty.Ē

I know from my own experience and knowledge of myself and I am 64; when I light up my LT Ė I too am secretly a youth of eighteen or twenty.

Bob Smith
í05 Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Maybe its the climate!

Being your age, I agree. However, I would say....thirtyish.....! LOL
Ron
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 8:18 pm
kip

LTing

looking back, it seems to me like my motorcycle life has been an evolution which ultimatly brought me to the LT....back in the beginning it was GS Suzuki's.....then it was more of a need for speed....which for some time I was convinced that the Kawasaki Concours had the best combination of speed, comfort, and ability to haul stuff......in between there were some cruisers which were fun but not for long trips....and then I got the LT.....and now I am afraid it may have ruined me from any and all other bikes....the LT contributes to the wanderlust that may naturally dwell inside of most of us.....indeed, to me, it is easy to consider riding on.......its not really pushing further to the next town or state but more being drawn on....in a day and age where we are so constrained by our hectic and busy lives the LT has a way of offering the possibility of adventure that sometimes we are tempted to give up on

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 9:53 am

Someone said, "you have to grow old. You don't have to grow up."
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 8:08 pm

My tag line says it all

Ride Well

You don't stop riding because you get old....
You get old because you stop riding!
Skip
02 Black - "The Groove"
04 FLHRTP - "The Work Bike"
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 2:58 pm

Smile

I gotta be about 25 if Marco Polo was right..
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 4:26 pm

I'll be 53 on the 25th and I am much younger now than I was 35 years ago.

Jim
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 6:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If I could afford it, I'd ride all day.... every day...

I'm 52 and feel every bit of it... even when riding. I've earned this experience and hopefully some WISDOM...

Since purchase of the LT, things have changed. Probably just me... however, getting away from HD has been a blessing. Hard to explain... but it's like graduating from a sling-shot to an M-16... Calls to mind the following words... or something similar.. "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is MINE! I must master my Rifle..." you get the idea.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:12 am

After spending most of my teenage years riding dirt bike and progressing to road bikes owning a Honda CBR250RR in Winfield Racing Colours, A VFR800 i modified to the hilt, a BMW K1200RS with a Remus GrandPrix Exhaust, and finally to the LT.
I did not feel old riding the LT, infact the opposite. Im only 31 and i enjoy all the creature comforts the LT offers.I rode my VFR800 in 2002 17,922 kilometers round australia in 9 weeks and i enjoyed it. If i did it now on the LT, i have no doubt i would enjoy it even more so.

All the riders of LT's i have seen on the roads are old enough to be my dad
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredjj
Someone said, "you have to grow old. You don't have to grow up."
I learned to ride on a 1947 indian scout in 1955. From 55 till 1961 I rode OPBs (other peoples bikes). I will turn 67 on the 31st of Aug. When I ride I feel much younger. But when I get up in the morning my body says, ouch. author has set in but , i like to ride like I was 34 again.

On my 34th birthday I rode with a friend from Sharon, PA to Texarkana, TX, 1150 miles in 19 1/2 hour. He was on a 1972 R75/5 and I on a 1971 R75/5.

Even with the LT I don't think I would try that today.
Ride it like you stoled it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in