Can I put it back together? (help) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Can I put it back together? (help)

Doing the 12k service and was very happy after installing the air filter that it was now time to put everything back together. . .except. . .Confirming all the parts to remount the tank I noticed the rubber mounting grommet (BMW part # 16 11 2 309 228 Rubber Mounting (Hiten)) was missing from one side. These are used in with the 2 bolts that mount the tank to the frame. It is obvious from the slight plastic wear on the tank where it met the frame that I'm not the one who lost it.

Any suggestions if I should leave everything apart until I can get one ordered, or put it back together like it was and deal with it next time everything is apart (probably several thousand miles from now).

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
Doing the 12k service and was very happy after installing the air filter that it was now time to put everything back together. . .except. . .Confirming all the parts to remount the tank I noticed the rubber mounting grommet (BMW part # 16 11 2 309 228 Rubber Mounting (Hiten)) was missing from one side. These are used in with the 2 bolts that mount the tank to the frame. It is obvious from the slight plastic wear on the tank where it met the frame that I'm not the one who lost it.

Any suggestions if I should leave everything apart until I can get one ordered, or put it back together like it was and deal with it next time everything is apart (probably several thousand miles from now).
These things are easy to get dislodged on re-assembly, always have to check to see if they stayed in place.

You have ridden it already for a few thousand miles with it missing, I would just put it back together, order the part, and replace it next service. You won't be the first this has happened to.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks David. Nice to get an answer from someone in the know.

BTW, got the screws, thanks.

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 5:45 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
Thanks David. Nice to get an answer from someone in the know.

BTW, got the screws, thanks.
G'day Jeff,
This very same thing happened to Beryl Beemer, out the front of the house in the driveway. One of the rubber bushes disappeared, never to be found, by me,.....so got a old rubber handgrip and cut off sufficient to make a suitable replacement.

No sooner had I got all the parts back together then SWMO comes tripping down the garage to see what I'm doing and then finds the missing rubber bush......

Geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

I have kept the part of course, and now this last weekend, after replacing both suspension units I got to use it again.....wooooppeee

The handgrip part served it's purpose, I was "happy" in that I had used something of similar design for the missing part, and didn't think anything more of it.

"Peace of mind" is a wonderful thing.

cheers

Phill, from the great southern land.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in