New guy gettin the stink eye... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

New guy gettin the stink eye...

Greetings all from Cleve...gotta tell ya that this BMW gets wayyyy more attention that any bike Ive ever ridden. Not only that, its by far the nicest ride as well. Today, while sitting at 2 different lights, I received real nice compliments on my bike, I never got that on the HD. So not only is this a pleasure to ride, its gettting compliments.

F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Exclamation

is NOT a compliment!
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Greetings all from Cleve...gotta tell ya that this BMW gets wayyyy more attention that any bike Ive ever ridden. Not only that, its by far the nicest ride as well. Today, while sitting at 2 different lights, I received real nice compliments on my bike, I never got that on the HD. So not only is this a pleasure to ride, its gettting compliments.

F
That was one of the perks of the BMW. I used to go to one of the local Street Day events where a street is lined with cars, and one of the cross streets was motorcycles. I would put my LT in the line of bikes, and sometimes would just back off and watch. You could see the look in the cruiser people's eyes when people would walk right by them, then stop at the LT.

It also was fun to hear a lot of the comments, from cruiser riders. Rarely negative. More surprise than anything when they saw the LT up close, like "Damn that thing is BIG!"! One lady was looking at it, and looked at her SO and said, "Look at that back seat! Why am I riding on an aspirin?" That one cracked me up.

When one walks down a street full of bikes, and 99% of them are V-twins, the LT stands out and gets attention, if only because it is so different.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Had a similar experience as Dshealey. On a tour with friends up in Canada a few years ago whenever we pulled into a stop the locals would come over and check out the LT and walk right by the HD the friends were riding. Kind of fun to see the friend's expression.
post #5 of 16 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 9:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

yup.. same in Texas... I have been refueling Misty on more than one occassion when a parent would allow their kid to come closer to Misty than ever happened before my banishment. A couple weeks ago I was refueling when a dad and son were at the next pump and eyeballing Misty.

We spoke for several minutes about the features of the LT... I then let his son stand on his tip toes and start Misty... you should have seen the look on that boy's face... worth a month's payment =).

Thanks BMW!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 5:21 am

Years ago when I lived in Kentucky and got my first airhead, I was visiting a friend at a hospital. When I came out, 2 guys were eyeing over my bike. They obviously had never noticed a BMW before. As I strode over to get on they started in asking questions. "What kind of bike is that?" "Oh, its a BMW", I replied. "Wow, I've never scene an engine like that - looks FAST", was the next comment. Then the other guy looks at the speedometer (now I must tell you this next comment was priceless. You see, that bike was a R75/5 that was a domestic German bike. Everything on it was placarded in German and the speedo was only in Kilometers per hour) The guy's eyes got real big as he said, "Will she really do 220?" I answered, "Gee, I don't know. I've never had her over 190." I laughed to myself all the way home.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 6:56 am

Kind gesture

Hey Cfell, that was really nice you softy. Really nice!

Kindest regards to all
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 8:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiesel
Years ago when I lived in Kentucky and got my first airhead, I was visiting a friend at a hospital. When I came out, 2 guys were eyeing over my bike. They obviously had never noticed a BMW before. As I strode over to get on they started in asking questions. "What kind of bike is that?" "Oh, its a BMW", I replied. "Wow, I've never scene an engine like that - looks FAST", was the next comment. Then the other guy looks at the speedometer (now I must tell you this next comment was priceless. You see, that bike was a R75/5 that was a domestic German bike. Everything on it was placarded in German and the speedo was only in Kilometers per hour) The guy's eyes got real big as he said, "Will she really do 220?" I answered, "Gee, I don't know. I've never had her over 190." I laughed to myself all the way home.
Mike, I just came from 11 years of sportbike riding, and I cannot tell you how many people looked at the speedo and asked, or howmany squids out there would tell me about the time their GSXR750 was going 165 MPH "cause that is what was on the speedo". I really like your post, it reads like something from a motorcycle magazine!
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 8:31 am

Talking

What the hell is the "Stink Eye". Do you get that watching too much of the Browns????
Jim in Dublin, OH

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 9:14 am

Rode to Bob Evans one Sunday morning to eat. Had to park the bike next to the hadicapped area where they put lateral stripes as all the regular spaces were taken. Came out and some guy was pointing to the badge and showing the kid and Grandpa it's a BMW cycle. They asked questions for 5 minutes and I pointed out the "special features". All three were flabbergasted. Like a scene from "Back to the Future" with the DeLorean.
post #11 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 9:25 am Thread Starter

Cmon now, you BlueJacket lovers should know what the stink-eye is.

F
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Same thing here last week on a trip up 395 in Calif I pull up to a light in a small town and a guy rolls down the window of his pick up and says "nows thats a bike!" this happens quite offten.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 2:11 pm

No - Im really a Pittsburgh guy living in Ohio. The CBJ is actually a black eye. Now the Pirates.....
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Oh..no I got the best...

While on Raeford Road in Fayetteville NC on my RT, I pulled into a gas station and a middleaged black woman came over to my bike...and looked, bent down....backed up....looked again... And muddled in quiet voice as she walked away.... "Fangdangled kids always making something it isn't"

I then asked "Excuse me Ma'am?" and she turned sharply and said "I am sorry, just don't know why kids today have to make things up" I chuckled and asked her what she was talking about. You have to have the deep southern draw with a little of the southern ebonics to repeat this for the same effect. She said "Whys wouldsya wantsta puts a BmmmW stucker onz yo motorcicle"

I then explained to her that it was in fact a BMW, she argued and argued, I had to pull the seat, show her the Color code on the BMW logo sticker, the owners manual etc.. haha. Once she realized I was telling the truth we talked for about 10mins as I finished a bottle of water. Then I threw her for a big loop telling her that BMW also made some planes...haha She to this day STILL does not believe the Roundel is the propeller. I still email her to this day. Great gal.

I ALWAYS get attention on the BMWs. Then if the girl is hot in the car next to me at the light and I am NOT getting the attention I need, I then just raise or lower the windshield to catch their attention...hahaha.

I do NOT do this on the LT though... I try not to catch to much attention. I was asked by my 20 something Squid riding neighbor yesterday if you have to have plaid pants to ride the LT, and also if it came with a magnified speedometer lens...hahaha. So, I still do not try to get attention on the LT yet.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

My missus is from Pitts-billy as are my surrounding neighbors (much to my chagrin) so the Brownies/Stillers games are well....they just suck anymore....damn Stillers.

F
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Never park in the striped area

Never park in the striped area beside a handicapped parking space..
That's a 150.00 ticket here in OK... DAMHIK Fargin Bastiges....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in