Other Touring Bikes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Other Touring Bikes

I know of none other than the Beemer right?

I'm new to touring and as I've aged, I've come to realize my desires have changed. I never really considered selling my Harley but when you are younger and hanging out in bars, and every other guy in there is screaming outta there like they stole it, it has an effect on you. Lately though, me and the Mrs. have decided maybe its the comforts, bells and whistles that'll make touring a little better. I'm sure I do not need convincing I just wanted to do some research while I clean up the Harley, throw a for sale sign on it and save the balance to get a tourer.

I've been curious for while and the reason I all of a sudden ask this question is that I just got done reading "Well.Add me to FD failure list." and it got me thinking. (BTW props to Saddleman for posting the pics. I'm no stranger to wrenching myself and mic all the details in the engines I build)

So what else is out there in this category?

I know of the GW but I've never really wanted to get on a Honda.

I read a small bit about the Triumph Trophy last night and being and MG enthusiast I might get kicked out of the club for being seen on a "Rumph"

Then I read about the FD failures, most recently the thread mentioned above, and I really could only say, "It's not the end of the world and it happens, you'll fix it." and "I wonder what the "other" bikes have problems with"

Someone might already have a list out there comparing the tourers listing the problems and save me the research.

Again, I'm not fishing around this site, looking to be convinced otherwise for or against. I'm not looking to flame up an argument, I'm totally convinced but would like to read up on comparative touring bike's.

From what I have seen so far and what I've dreamt about for at least 5 or 6, was that I wanted to get a BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Re: Other Touring Bikes

Just search the site and you'll find flames, kudos, rants, and raves.

I had 80,000 miles on my LT, ad never got stranded. Did have to replace the clutch though.... Don't have the LT any more, but it was my wife's favorite touring bike. She's easily attached to inanimate objects...

Have had the GTL for 5 months, without a single hiccup.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Surf the internet, visit a few dealers, take the Mrs. and determine comfort even if only static comfort.

If you want bells and whistles and touring comfort why not a Harley Ultra Classic? The Ultra is as good as anything out there in terms of bells and whistles and touring comfort.

If your musings include engineering, performance, suspension and handling then have a visit with your local BMW dealer.

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 3:01 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

It is hard to beat the K1200LT as a 2 up touring bike. I grew up riding Hondas but never wanted a Goldwing. Every time I sat on one it felt like my Granddads bike. I put 72K miles on a 2000 LT before selling it for a K1600GTL but the LT NEVER let me down.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 3:24 pm

There are a bunch of touring bikes out there. The best way to find out what you like is to go see them in person with the Mrs. Don't base your decision on what you read on any forums because you'll read a thousand posts about how this broke or that went bad but you'll rarely, if ever read any posts about the bike with no problems. One of the advantages of BMW is that they will let you test ride a bike. I know of no other manufacturers, at least here in NJ that will let you test ride a bike.

I went from a Harley FatBoy to a K1200s to an R1200rt. All very different bikes. The RT handles well, is relatively light for a tourer, is comfortable and gets great gas mileage. What more could anyone possibly need?

'11 R1200RT Thunder Grey
'06 K1200s / sold
'00 H-D FatBoy / sold
'97 H-D Sportster 883 / sold
'87 VFR 700 Interceptor / sold
'94 Ninja 250 / wrecked (RIP)
'84 GPz550 / sold (first street bike)
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 5:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ride a Goldwing.
Ride an LT.
You've already ridden a Harley.
Buy what makes you (and the wife) happy.

Here's my opinion:
Best bike for the money, Goldwing.
Best bike for the ride, LT.
LTs are not as dependable as Goldwings, and the dealer network is sparse.
If you don't mind turning wrenches, the LT is a wonderful machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noRThwind View Post
Surf the internet, visit a few dealers, take the Mrs. and determine comfort even if only static comfort.

If you want bells and whistles and touring comfort why not a Harley Ultra Classic? The Ultra is as good as anything out there in terms of bells and whistles and touring comfort.

If your musings include engineering, performance, suspension and handling then have a visit with your local BMW dealer.
Trust me I think the BMW has plenty of bells and whistles and I think it's an entirely different category than the HD. Looks, engineering, sleekness.....
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyrider View Post
There are a bunch of touring bikes out there. The best way to find out what you like is to go see them in person with the Mrs. Don't base your decision on what you read on any forums because you'll read a thousand posts about how this broke or that went bad but you'll rarely, if ever read any posts about the bike with no problems. One of the advantages of BMW is that they will let you test ride a bike. I know of no other manufacturers, at least here in NJ that will let you test ride a bike.

I went from a Harley FatBoy to a K1200s to an R1200rt. All very different bikes. The RT handles well, is relatively light for a tourer, is comfortable and gets great gas mileage. What more could anyone possibly need?
Are the R1200rt's good for 2 up and do they also have the Features/Dash/Controls of the K1200LT??
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 5:37 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vping View Post
http://www.ducatiusa.com/bikes/multi...uring/index.do

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #10 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Well. That's my FD that failed. But all bikes have their issues.GW tyranny's blow up on certain bikes So. It is what it is.. In spite of the LT's issues. I probably would consider another. But who knows what will be out in a few years.I still won't get a GW. Not knocking them, It just isn't for me. Just don't think their near as pretty a machine. Nor do they have the suspension/ brakes. And no other tourer that I know of hugs the road at 70 Mph+ like the LT does.I ride with a friend with a 2010 GW. Nice machine ,Just for the 1800 flat 6. But.I Don't like the seating position. And he pulls away from me 0- 60mph cause of the 1800. Great motor no doubt about it. But... What he has over my KLT in motor. He lacks in gearbox and comfort. At 70 MPH +I'm coming up in his mirrors, And I'm coming fast. And passing him, And the LT's not breaking a sweat and it's going for more..Typical Honda. Just like the Shadow spirit 1100.Another nice bike.It runs out of gears. Now if Honda puts a 6 speed on the Wing. Look out!! The Triumph Trophy? Not sure if I like it.. I would be willing to give it a look.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jun 19th, 2014 at 10:32 pm.
post #11 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vping View Post
I know of none other than the Beemer right?

I know of the GW but I've never really wanted to get on a Honda.
I read a small bit about the Triumph Trophy
Again, I'm not fishing around this site, looking to be convinced otherwise for or against. I'm not looking to flame up an argument, I'm totally convinced but would like to read up on comparative touring bike's.
From what I have seen so far and what I've dreamt about for at least 5 or 6, was that I wanted to get a BMW.
Okay, here's my 2 cents worth : I rode a Valkyrie for about 7 years, then an FJR 1300, and now a 99 K1200 LT..... let me tell you, this Beemer wins hands down in the riding, comfort, style, and bells & whistles dept. !! The maintenance can be involved but you said you're a "wrencher". I got a Clymers manual that is worth it's weight in gold. As the other owners here are saying, don't just read the forums, go test ride what you like. If you are leaning toward a "sport-tourer" there are many to choose from - K1200GT's, RT's, FJR 1300, ST1300, & you mentioned the Trophy. But if you want the "Luxo in that Tourer, this ol' Flying brick will be hard to beat ... different than the 'Wings, Harleys, Victorys, whatever. And I think the support on this forum is what helped convince me. Good luck & God Bless
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

What you just said is how I feel and what i'm looking for. Well put.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 11:33 pm

My son has a Triumph Trophy SE and I am very impressed with it. I can’t find any way to fault it. Compared to the LT it is MUCH more torquey on the bottom end and with 6 speeds it has a higher top end. I had it reading 130 and it was still pulling but I ran out of country road. To me it rides every bit as well as the LT, even better in maneuvering both high and low speed. Has a massive rear tire that really sticks it on the road.

I won’t remember everything it has but this is some, smart linked ABS (won’t dump you at slow speed), cruise control, traction control, a range of electric push button suspension adjustments, ride by wire, tpms, usb and 3 power ports, electric windshield, electric headlight height adjust, onboard computer, sirius XM radio, heated grips and seat, immobilizer, 10K service intervals, 950W charging. My son took his phone and controlled what was playing on the radio. The side cases have handles and come off in an instant, nice for sport riding, maintenance, and traveling convenience.

One of the things that just absolutely stood out was its agility. U-turns on a country road require no thought or concern. I live on a dirt road with a gravel driveway and after years of riding the LT it still is dicey to do a U-turn in the gravel driveway going around and between other vehicles. First time on the Trophy I made it around and between 2 vehicles that I wouldn’t have even attempted with the LT. No foot dragging just brought it nearly to a stop for the turn, feathered the clutch and swung it right around and between. Told my son it handles like a dirt bike.

He paid 18.5 with a military discount.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...mph_trophy_se/

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 12:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
My son has a Triumph Trophy SE
He paid 18.5 with a military discount.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...mph_trophy_se/
I'm not sure what the OP's budget is, and I am sure the Trophy is an awesome bike, but for 18 large, I would look at a used K1600GTL. My 99 K1200LT was $5k, 2nd owner, garage kept, BMW service records, 31k miles, and after state sales tax, a Corbin seat, sport shield, new front tire and brakes, I have less than 7000 in it. Went on a 350 mile jaunt to eat some BBQ with friends last w/e - like the other posts say, she eats up the interstate and handles twisties better than anything I've ever owned in almost 36 tears of riding. I still wouldn't mind a nice ST1100 or older Concours for the short rides
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Take your wife out for a ride on an LT. That will take care of the issue right there. only took my wife 20 minutes to make up my mind for me.
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 5:27 pm

I've had a Triumph Trophy for the last year and a half and have done c. 23,000k. It's everything Enduro has found out plus some. There's far better weather protection than the K1600. It gets way better miles per gallon and miles per tires! Also the service intervals are longer. The standard seats and windscreen are all you need. In other words it works perfectly right out of the box. I had a LT for 6 years which I enjoyed thoroughly and the TT is every bit as good a tourer but with far better handling. SO confirms pillion comforts equal to Goldwings and LT.
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 5:44 pm

I replaced my R1200RT with a Trophy last month. You need to ride one.
Many BMW dealers are also Triumph dealers so you can try both brands and decide what is best for you!
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 20th, 2014, 8:36 pm

My wife and I went through the same evolution last year. We were riding an Electra Glide Ultra Classic with the thousand dollar Road Zeppelin leather seats. Sweet ride, completely sound and reliable. But then we sold it to help recoup some of the financial drain from paying for a wedding. Next season when we got ready to buy another bike we started looking around at the options. The K1200 LT was a real eye popper, and one of my best friends had had phenomenal success with an RT 1100. So we took the plunge and we are happy we did. This is an awesome web forum and I appreciate and respect everyone here. With that said the way the site is laid out and the posts you see when you first come to the forum can give you the feeling that this is one big broken hearts club. Don't get me wrong, but technical information and troubleshooting advice is absolutely invaluable; I personally benefited immensely from it in the past and I expect to in the future. But I know I'm not the only one who got the initial impression that maybe owning a K1200 LT is a bummer. That is absolutely not true. The German engineering seems weird if you're used to American and Japanese bikes like me. And there is no denying that this bike has its share of eccentricities. Still there is nothing like it out there. It is sleek, sexy, fast, smooth and beautifully designed. My advice is get one and ride the hell out of it. Your wife will love it. Mine certainly does!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in