Remove the right side front caliper "Filling Adapter" - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JNW003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Remove the right side front caliper "Filling Adapter"

I am in the process of replacing brake lines and see that I have what BMW appears to call a "Filling Adapter" on the right front caliper of my (early version) 2001 LT. A PO has added a bleeding valve to it. In the process of replacing all of the bleed valves with Speedbleeders, I noticed that the Speedbleeder is slightly longer than the one that I removed and will not seat in the filling adapter.

Can I just remove the adapter and screw the Speedbleeder directly into the caliper? Is there any reason to leave the adapter in place? It seems very firmly seated, but I assume that it will just screw out like a bleed valve would?

This is a pic of the part I am wondering about from a doc about bleeding brakes I found on this site:

Kevin Sawatsky, Kingston, TX
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'01 BMW K1200LT (early version) - Sold
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 10:48 am

Re: Remove the right side front caliper "Filling Adapter"

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvoyager View Post
I am in the process of replacing brake lines and see that I have what BMW appears to call a "Filling Adapter" on the right front caliper of my (early version) 2001 LT. A PO has added a bleeding valve to it. In the process of replacing all of the bleed valves with Speedbleeders, I noticed that the Speedbleeder is slightly longer than the one that I removed and will not seat in the filling adapter.

Can I just remove the adapter and screw the Speedbleeder directly into the caliper? Is there any reason to leave the adapter in place? It seems very firmly seated, but I assume that it will just screw out like a bleed valve would?

This is a pic of the part I am wondering about from a doc about bleeding brakes I found on this site:

Brand "speedbleeder" is not known on this side of the big pond but any normal bleeding nut local auto parts store will fit. NOTE: When removing that original adapter, use heat! It is "well glued without sparing locktite" in place.

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 11:36 am

My LT doesn't have it, my R1200C has it still. You can just remove that little grub screw in the top and then use one of the bleeders you took off another caliper to bleed that caliper from the port left by the grub screw, or as mentioned above heat it gently until it's pretty warm before you try to unscrew it. That barrel is basically a speed bleeder, as you remvoe the bleeder it will close up and seal the system, the grub screw is insurance.

After (if) you remove it there is no need to replace it, just leave the speed bleeder in and tighten it down to close it.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2000 BMW R1200C

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvoyager View Post

Yes, you can remove the adapter and the speedbleeder will fit into the hole where the adapter was. The speed bleeder will fit better with the adapter removed.
I did this on my 2000 many years ago, but if I recall correctly the speed bleeder didn't seat into the adaptor well. It works better with the adaptor removed.

I think this was true for the clutch bleed point as well.
HTH
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Wink Re: Remove the right side front caliper "Filling Adapter"

+1! What Curtis says here is very true! I did both the right front caliper and the Clutch bleed hose by removing those pesky "Grub screws" first! And you will need some heat because they used thread lock very generously on those items!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Yes, you can remove the adapter and the speedbleeder will fit into the hole where the adapter was. The speed bleeder will fit better with the adapter removed.
I did this on my 2000 many years ago, but if I recall correctly the speed bleeder didn't seat into the adaptor well. It works better with the adaptor removed.

I think this was true for the clutch bleed point as well.
HTH

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 8 Old Jun 19th, 2014, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies... Just wanted a bit of assurance before applying heat and muscle!

Kevin Sawatsky, Kingston, TX
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'01 BMW K1200LT (early version) - Sold
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2015, 10:25 am

I was able to bleed the brakes with that on. First you bleed the left side completely, this means if there is air, it's only going to be in the four inches of brake line before the two sides link up. What I did was first layer some plastic around the base to cover the caliper, then pack a layer of rags above that. Then I cut a cheap $1 funnel from Walmart , and placed it under the lip of the grub screw. Then you remove the top cap, and under there you can depress a pin. When this is depressed fluid comes out. This worked for me without having to remove this bolt.

Also they sell this $5 brake bleed kit from Harbor Freight called the 'One Man Brake Bleeder Kit'. That kit has pins that stick into the top of the bleed bolts -- using this kit I was able to bleed the ABS unit without taking any panels off. Stick this into the top of the ABS bleed bolt, from the right side come in with a 11mm, crack it open, then slowly squeeze the front caliper... (Making sure you don't run out of fluid.) Going slow also ensures brake fluid doesn't squirt out. I've not tried it on the back brake as I've only had to do the front.
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2015, 2:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasci View Post
I've not tried it on the back brake as I've only had to do the front.
....so far, until it bursts far from home...
rmasci likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in