Deer strike with K1200lt 2005 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Deer strike with K1200lt 2005

Hi ,
I just want to let everyone know what good protection the K1200lt provides. I was going into work on fathers day around 5 am when a deer came out of nowhere. I hit the deer and slide on the road with the bike approxtimatily 200 feet. I walked away from this thanks to the bike and my riding gear. I believe that the bike is totaled mirrows,whindshield destroyed, left and right side damaged as it flipped over when it stopped. The forks and handle bars are bent and there was oil spilled out on the road. As for me I received some scapes on my left side, jammed my shoulder. I am awaiting for the insurance to make a determination on weather it is totaled. I love this bike one of the best handling,riding bike's I have had and will be looking for another one. It had 32k on it when it went down and I have put 6plus k on her since I got the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 10:15 am

Re: Deer strike with K1200lt 2005

Sorry to hear about the bike but glad you are ok.

If your front wheel is in good shape, I would very much be interested in it if you part out the bike. Also need front foot pegs if the are halfway decent. Mine are ground down and getting to where they will need to be replaced soon.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 10:18 am

Hope your OK.

Now that that's out of the way.

Are you having venison for dinner? Buck? How many points?

You should part it out if they let you have it... Guess the Deputy beat me to it...

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Deer

No venison. Deer was luckly but I was not. It was a doe and just kept going.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 2:10 pm

One of my Harley riding buddies almost hit one last year. You would think those noise makers would scare them off.

Hopefully you'll make out all right and be back in the market for a new ride...

The most important thing is your here to tell your story. The bike can be replaced

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Garage
Re: Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsorric View Post
No venison. Deer was luckly but I was not. It was a doe and just kept going.
I would think you were very fortunate to be spared serious injury.
I saw deer in few of the states east especially Maine alive. But also saw quite a few that had been hit along the roadway.
I was wondering if the unusual lateness of spring has their schedule off so they are encountering a different traffic.
In Acadia N.P. during my early morning walks was when I saw mine lazily browsing but would freeze and look up at the slightest sound. Nice creatures not to run into. I also saw a turtle in PA as big a 15" laptop and a couple dead porcupine.
ride safe
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 4:32 pm

I hit a deer on my 05 running about 40mph and did absolutely no damage. I hit it square with the front wheel. I cleaned off the deer fur and didn't have a scratch.
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 4:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When I rode to Yellowstone, I saw the aftermath of a Moose hit. Looked like a semi got it. Remember the golden rule for animals. Brake hard, steer straight, hope for the best. You are more likely to die from swerving into the ditch to avoid the accident than from hitting the deer. Just had a guy here last week that died when he went in the ditch.

post #9 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Glad your are OK. I hit two at once with my 03 and totaled it. I didn't go down and there was no injuries except for bruises on my wife's left foot.....

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211 View Post
Sorry to hear about the bike but glad you are ok.

If your front wheel is in good shape, I would very much be interested in it if you part out the bike. Also need front foot pegs if the are halfway decent. Mine are ground down and getting to where they will need to be replaced soon.
Couldn't help but laugh at this post - reminds me of the old westerns when some cowboy get's shot and next thing you know local folks are pulling of the guy's boots.

I'm glad you're not seriously injured too. Deer hits can go seriously wrong. Could have used those mirrors but they were probably damaged in the slide.

So are you going for another LT or GTL?

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 2:09 am Thread Starter

Hi all,
The bike was totaled . I still am very sore from the fall as the deer knocked me over on my left side. I loved my LT and will be looking for another one. Wife want me to heal before getting another one. my left shoulder took the grunt of the fall so I am off to riding for alittle while .Will get better soon. Looks like the insurance is going to pay up soon. Would like to get a newer LT. I do not really like the new GTL as much as the LT. Great bike along with great people owning them. The insurance is keeping the bike.
I have been an educator for Goldwing rode riders and was the district educator for a couple of years. I have learned a lot about riding safe and this accident was unavoidable as the deer was not seen, I I will be back t ran into me knocking me over. I rode the bike down the rode 150-200 feet before stopping. I was able to dial 911 after stopped. This was my second slide I have had in my lifetime. Still here alive and kicking to get back up and ride. Thank you all!! I will be back up and riding(hopefully) soon.

Dave Sorrick
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 10:18 am

Garage

Worse than you originally thought
Your physical being is first and all that matters at the moment. I don't know your age bracket but healing fully and properly is best. The bikes will always be there since so many are giving up LT's and opting for something else. Good thing for your gear and riding experience. Best wishes.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in