2004 lt Stalling Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

2004 lt Stalling Problem

My wife and i headed out for a ride today, we made it about 3 km then everything just stopped . The electrics all seem to work but the engine just died. This happened to me twice before but would start right away. I have also been having an issue with the engine lagging when shifting, usually at around 200 to 300 rpm, you shift and go to accelerate and it just seems to hesitate until you really roll on the throttle to get it going . Anyway if anyone has any info they could share it would be greatly appreciated. Thank goodness for roadside assist.

the bike has only 9000 km, when i puchased it this year it had 2800km. When it died there was no hesitation or any warning of any kind it just stopped

ken

Last edited by kenneth123; Jun 17th, 2006 at 8:08 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 5:12 pm

You didn't provide much info on your bike (age, mileage, has it been stored over the winter---stale fuel) but I would be replacing the fuel filter before I did anything else.
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Does it whoosh when you open the gas cap?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 2:25 am

Question Fuel problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Does it whoosh when you open the gas cap?
I think that Grifs might be on to something here... Could be that your tank is not breathing...one cause might be the cannister or tubes blocked. Many of us have removed the cannister (located under the topbox) to prevent this from occuring... The Hall of Wisdom will help you out...

Good luck,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Now that you mention the gas cap or tank, i have had a problem with excessive gas smell from the bike. When it is stored overnight in the garage the next morning the room is filled with fumes. This only started after i had the dealer install the bmw nav system. The dealer claims that it is only coincidental that the gas smell started at that time. They have since ordered a new gas cap seal, but have not installed it yet
As for any pressure build up in the tank there doesnt seem to be any.
I tried to start the bike again this morning , but still nothing

Thanks for the replies

ken
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 8:26 am

Watch Out!!!

If you are smelling gas in your garage, you better pop off your side panels and inspect the gas quick disconnects. Especially since your plastic was off and possibly the gas tank. If you see any seepage the O-rings need to be replaced before you ride anymore.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 8:48 am Thread Starter

the dealer apparently removed the panels and found nothing

ken
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:10 am

My '99 model suffered similar symptoms to those you describe, and they gradually got worse. Dealer found that the lambda probe in the exhaust had begun to fail. Don't ask me what it does, 'cos I've zilch technical knowledge. However, replacing it was a cheap job and cured the problem immediately.

Tom
Maidstone
England

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in