6'4" and researching bikes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

6'4" and researching bikes

Hey all, nice website, been 20 years since I last rode and having a midlife crisis, want to begin commuting and taking some trips in my spare time, on a recent business trip, i stopped at a dealer and could not stop dreaming about a 2006 k1200lt, as a tall guy (6 4 and 210 pounds), who potentially will have a passenger 9if i can convince her) and get involved in group tours/club events, wondering what i should be looking at, and what bikes offer the best features for a tall person like myself. Dealer sold many brands, and mentioned BMWs being not only a premier bike but also designed for taller riders.

Do not anticipate being very active until i am done with the military, so want to get something that is very reliable, best in class, and easy to perform maintenance on etc...ideally a used bike or dealer demo to offset some expense.

Would appreciate any guidance and info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Thumbs up I am 6'7" tall and love it...

I am 6'7" and the g-friend is only 5'6" and we love the bike. I think it is comfortable when riding solo or two-up and she never complains about not having enough room....only complains when it is 100+F outside! When riding solo on long trips I am able to sit on the rear seat to stretch out my legs....I know, probably not safe, but comfortable.

My brother is 6'4" and owns a '06 Honda GL1800 and complains that his knees are always hitting the front fairing.....I have rode his Goldwing, nice bike, but not enough room for my knees/legs.

I think the LT is a great bike for the tall rider. I chose the LT because others pointed me in this direction when searching for a bike....I also think being taller makes it easier to handle at slower speeds, I have never dumped my LT.

Only problem now.....I want a GS, and the 'boss' says "NO!"

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 7:47 pm

6' 6" and comfortable

I am 6' 6" long and 240 lbs wife is 5' 8" and we just returned from a 2700 mile trip to North Carolina from Michigan to pick up a camper trailer. This was my first long ride on my 05 LT. I was very comfortable and my wife kept falling asleep on the back. My previous bike was a 1200 Wing and I have to say it was very good to me for 100,000 miles but it did not compare to the LT in comfort and performance. For a tall guy you can't beet the LT.

Rodger

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:23 pm

6' 8" and on the wrong side of 280Lbs and comfortable 1 or 2 up on a 02LTC
post #5 of 21 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

thanks, i still am learning, will be doing a lot of commuting, but yet want to be able to do long rides, keep seeing things on the gt, rs, lt etc... is there a book or forum for dummies?
post #6 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyd
thanks, i still am learning, will be doing a lot of commuting, but yet want to be able to do long rides, keep seeing things on the gt, rs, lt etc... is there a book or forum for dummies?
No book for dummies that I know of .... but there are a lot of great resources on the internet. Great forums like this one that can supply great info. But I have found the way I learned a lot was at motorcycle rallies .... looking at bikes, talking to people (motorcyclists are always willing to talk about bikes) and taking demo rides. Two of the best rallies IMHO are Americade which just took place in Lake George, NY and the Honda Hoot taking place next week. (I leave Wednesday for the Hoot in Knoxville, KY). These are great multi brand rallies that are really focused on the Bike and not on drinking beer and flashing body parts. They both have a lot if manufacturers giving demo rides with NO sales pressure. Of course the BMW National rally is great and will provide you a lot of insight into BMW's. Also, while not a book there are some good magazines that can provide excellent info as well .... two of the best IMHO again are Rider and Motorcycle Consumer News.

I have only been riding 16 years and started when I was 34 knowing little about motorcycles. I have learned a lot over the years and my tastes have matured as have I. I really like the BMW ownership experience as they are great bikes with great riders. But Honda does a great job as well and really supports its riders and the industry and builds some great bikes.

Hope this helps. Good Luck !

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:10 am

I am 6'7" and 240lbs. I have ridden this bike nearly 100k in 5 years. Its ideal for tall guys in my opinion.

Being down in the heat, you will very much appreciate the electric adjustable windscreen, though I must admit I have mine down virtually all the time.

A few other things....
1. Get a rider backrest. The back rest made my riding even more comfortable.
2. If the passenger is going to be a regular, get passenger floorboards - very comfy for them.
3. Make sure you get a comms unit so you can talk & listen to music together. They are great on the LT.
4. You may want passenger armrests - the extra security is for you so you know they won't fall off when they drop off to sleep, though my daughter has travelled for days, 1/2 the time asleep and was fine.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #8 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:32 am
was

Hey Dan, I also am 6'4", about 200 lbs. I find the LT very comfortable, solo or 2-up. I've taken day-long rides and I commute 65 miles round-trip almost every day, including winter (if there's no snow or ice on the road). Some folks find the LT difficult to handle in slow city traffic, and it took me quite a while to find my technique to keep it balanced at below 5 MPH, but city driving was the best opportunity for frequent practice. Now I don't even think about it. So, I don't think you can go wrong with an LT. But the best advice that I've seen on this forum is to test ride and compare a number of different bikes. One of them will speak to you. Good luck on your search!

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

thanks for all the advice, what a great group of people, i have time to research my mid-life crisis, wish i did not travel so much would have loved to do that hoot event in TN, but will be at fort hood this weekend.

Gonna work on getting my license soon, so i can do what all of you have been rec, and thats do some test rides. I am confident i would in fact do a lot of commuting on a bike, and need some storage for my stuff (army guy who leads civilians, office environment), and hoping to do some longer rides, so the touring class really appeals to me, and also i believe i might do some longer rides etc...keep any advice coming.

I keep hearing the best bet is to buy used, and cheap to get my riding skills back up and to validate my new found passion. Raced moto cross as a teenager, and had a honda v65 magna in college, but that was 20 years ago.
post #10 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Hey all, nice website, been 20 years since I last rode and having a midlife crisis, want to begin commuting and taking some trips in my spare time, on a recent business trip, i stopped at a dealer and could not stop dreaming about a 2006 k1200lt, as a tall guy (6 4 and 210 pounds), who potentially will have a passenger 9if i can convince her) and get involved in group tours/club events, wondering what i should be looking at, and what bikes offer the best features for a tall person like myself. Dealer sold many brands, and mentioned BMWs being not only a premier bike but also designed for taller riders.

Do not anticipate being very active until i am done with the military, so want to get something that is very reliable, best in class, and easy to perform maintenance on etc...ideally a used bike or dealer demo to offset some expense.

As much as I love the LT, I don't think it best meets your criteria. Have you looked at the BMW R1200GA?! Before dismissing it, go to the dealer and sit on it. It is more than a dual-sport bike, or a glorified expensive dirt bike. It is a VERY capable commuter and touring bike . . . especially for a tall rider.

I am taking delivery on a new BMW K1200GT this Tuesday, but the 'GS' will most likely be my next new bike.

HTH
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 4:38 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
......as a tall guy (6 4 and 210 pounds), who potentially will have a passenger 9if i can convince her) and get involved in group tours/club events, wondering what i should be looking at, and what bikes offer the best features for a tall person like myself. ....

so want to get something that is very reliable, best in class, and easy to perform maintenance on etc...ideally a used bike or dealer demo to offset some expense.

Howdy Dan,

Based on your criteria above, the only potential issue is maintenance. If you have it done at the dealer it can get a bit disconcerting if you're on a tight budget. However the LT group is a pretty helpful bunch and there is plenty of support for those of us that do the maintenance ourselves.

This changes a ~$750 dealer cost into a ~$45 do it yourself job at a local tech session.

I am 6'4" and run 250#. In the picture below is me and Nancy. Nancy is about 5'7" and goes about half my weight.

The LT is the perfect size and ergonomic design for a taller rider.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #12 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Ahah so Far no one has beaten 6'8"
MoohahaI am the bigest and fatest one here
Seriously;
It is a very comfortable bike for me only thing I have is Jpegs,and forward control extensions 1.5" down and 1 "forward. Still need back rest for those longer rides.

Just Get It and have a great time !!!!
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
Ahah so Far no one has beaten 6'8"
MoohahaI am the bigest and fatest one here
Seriously;
It is a very comfortable bike for me only thing I have is Jpegs,and forward control extensions 1.5" down and 1 "forward. Still need back rest for those longer rides.

Just Get It and have a great time !!!!
You got me by 4", but I have 30 lbs. on ya.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #14 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha

I am 6'4" and run 250#. In the picture below is me and Nancy. Nancy is about 5'7" and goes about half my weight.

The LT is the perfect size and ergonomic design for a taller rider.
Hey Billy, I keep getting "All I can see is the back of your helmet" comments from my 5'6" pillion and I'm only 6' tall. Wonder if you get any of those comments from Bill's Daisy?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #15 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Gold Supporter

I'm 6-04 and 220#. I switched from an HD Ultra to the K1200LT and like the fit and ride a lot better. Handles 2 up perfectly, and takes a tall person to ride it. For your size you found the right bike. Does the dealer rent them or have a used on he can put you out on to ride? Spend about an hour on one and you will be sold.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #16 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

i was in hawaii on business when i first saw one, nearest dealer to me in huntsville AL is 90 miles, i have some time to learn and make the best decision.

thanks
post #17 of 21 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Here is another tall fella - 6'6" maybe even pushing 6'7" and it fits me excellently. Of course I don't have the girth that some of you fellas have... 180 lbs (wet).

LT's are amazing bikes...

Enjoy!
post #18 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:33 am

And another "Me Too" from yet one more normal sized person (6'6" 240# - like a rope with a knot tied in the middle).

Have had the harleys and the goldwings... nothing fits (or glides through the twisties) like the LT.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #19 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 1:46 pm

I am 6'4" and still found I needed some aftermarket stuff to make the bike fit properly. Suburban Machinery for the peg relo kit. Cee-Bailey for a higher windshield and Bill Mayer for a seat with an extra inch of padding. Now I can ride all day in comfort.
post #20 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Damn we are a tall bunch. I'm 6'7" and 230 lbs. I have an '04, which I believe has a slightly taller saddle than the '05 and newer models. I bought the bike because I thought it fit me better than the rest. Really enjoy it, whether commuting to work or on my annual summer trip. Make sure you ride an R bike before buying. Many don't like the vibration/noise associated with the twin cylinder engine. Just my 2c.

Steve
post #21 of 21 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

R bike? not sure i know what that is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in