Tight Valve What's too Tight - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Tight Valve What's too Tight

Checked the valves at 12065 miles on my '05 this week, and found two intake valves tight. The one I'm concerned about is the first one in the train. It was a tight .003 . Should I be concerned about a burned valve? Fuel mileage dropped about 600 miles back, by about 4 mpg at the same elevation. I'm now getting less mileage, 38 mpg solo now, than when I was pulling my trailer which was about 40.5 mpg. All mpg is actual measured, not computer.

Need input please.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 1:02 am

The bike has a spec for valve tolerance for a reason. If you checked them and they are not within that tolerance range, you should be concerned about damaging your engine. Get them fixed.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 3:24 am

Rick is your mpg at the same elevation? I have found my mpgs to change at different elv. the higher elv the better mpgs. It may have nothing to do with valves being burned. When I did my 24K I had 7 tight valves and after changing buckets mpgs improved and performance improved. I dont know that I would be too concerned yet. after you replace buckets check again. Griff helped me and he was not concerned with valves being burned and stated that bike would run a lot better after readjustments.
ps my mpgs at sealevel has never been better than 38 mpgs

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 6:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
Checked the valves at 12065 miles on my '05 this week, and found two intake valves tight. The one I'm concerned about is the first one in the train. It was a tight .003 . Should I be concerned about a burned valve? Fuel mileage dropped about 600 miles back, by about 4 mpg at the same elevation. I'm now getting less mileage, 38 mpg solo now, than when I was pulling my trailer which was about 40.5 mpg. All mpg is actual measured, not computer.

Need input please.

Thanks,
Rick, the intake valve at .003 is way to tight. I doubt you have to be concerned with a burnt valve at this point. I would try to set the intake valves as loose as possible, Closer to 008 for intake and.012 for exhaust . as you witnessed the valves can become tight over time.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 7:57 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Should I be concerned about a burned valve?
Need input please.

Thanks,
Rick,

Get the clearance set right. But if you actually had a burned valve - you would know it. There would be rough running and backfires into the intake system. I learned the hard way on an MGA back in the 60's trying to quiet a noisy valve train.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:47 am

Quote:

Need input please.

Thanks,
Anything tighter than specified is too tight! Adjust them, and when possible adjust to the top of the range. Since thay always tighten as they wear, when I am already adjusting valves if one is in mid-range I will go ahead and put in the next smaller bucket, which will take it 0.001" over max, but I know that by next valve check it will likely be in range. Tight is much worse than loose.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Cool Valves get tighter as they wear?

Could someone please explain this. This has been bugging me for a while now and I want to know how this can happen.

2001 K1200LTC
1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane
1986 Honda 750 Night Hawk
1980 Honda CB750F
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott122262
Could someone please explain this. This has been bugging me for a while now and I want to know how this can happen.
Hey Scott, plain and simple. Friction literally sands the parts down making them smaller. As the cam wears it gets smaller. sucking tolerances in tighter. Tighter it is, the more chance a valve won't close all the way and that causes a valve, or worse, a seat to burn.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Scott, plain and simple. Friction literally sands the parts down making them smaller. As the cam wears it gets smaller. sucking tolerances in tighter. Tighter it is, the more chance a valve won't close all the way and that causes a valve, or worse, a seat to burn.
Actually Grif, if it was cam or follower wear, the valve clearance would OPEN UP.

In actuallity, the cams and followers wear very little. The problem is that the valve seat surfaces wear in a little causing the valve to seat deeper into the head, closing up the gap.

If one ever does see clearances getting larger, there is something bad going on, like the cam lobes wearing. That is not good.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Well, of course you're right. 3 days in the Port Aransas sun with 6 kiddo's under the age of 6 has addled me beyond recognition. Not to mention dial up that works about as fast as fossilization. Do you know how loud that many kids can get?

I might have gotten the valve burning right, but who knows?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks gentlemen

I'm waiting on buckets to adjust to the high end of the range.

Thank's John Z for making me think it through on what would be occurring with a burnt valve. I guess I new that but I forget to think sometimes.

Floyd, It must be the big windscreen I have to get the bad mileage, or maybe I've been trying to keep up with you.

Now as far as the design of these bucket type valve followers, seems like a lot of friction to me. Most compact for sure.
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 4:12 am

Rick I managed to get in some riding yesterday and checked the computer and it read 34.5 mpg. It was windy and HOT, but that is normal for me here below sealevel. I rode down to New Orleans yesterday, did manage to get a new faceshield for my helmet. Hope everything goes together for you and Happy Fathers day.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in