Yet another Newbie question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Yet another Newbie question

Y'all are batting 1000 right now, so I hope you can help me with this issue.

If you check my previous posts you will see I am getting some very strange information from the dealer which I purchased my bike. That being said, I am having an issue with the left mirror on my bike. It seems that the front mount is sticking out further than the rear. As a result, it is sitting a bit cockeyed and the seams are not even. Is there a way I can fix this? I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer if I can, I do not want them to touch my bike right now.

Thanks in advance for your help, you guys are a wealth of knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Yes, each of the three pins that the mirror snaps on to can be adjusted with spacer washers that come taped to the fairing near the mounts. I'm sure after market washers also work just fine. Just unscrew the mounting bolt and add or subtract washers til the mirror mounts flush. Keep in mind you probably won't get an exact flush fit but you should be able to get it pretty close.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 2:43 pm

You can adjust the gap pretty easily. Pop off the mirror and you will find three studs. Each stud will unscrew. You can add or remove flat washers as needed to even out the clearance. There may be extra washers taped to the inside of the mirror; there were some on mine.

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Be sure when you do add/subtract washers to even the gap that you keep a 1/16" gap minium all the way around. If it is close to touching anywhere the mirror can be knocked off too easy. The spring clips need to be fully seated in the necks of the ball studs, and if the housing is touching the fairing keeping the clip from fully seating that clip can be easily dislodged.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:37 am Thread Starter

Thanks! Y'all just saved me a trip on Saturday!
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 7:33 am

Be sure to put a leetle grease on the balls studs. Sounds strange, you want to keep the mirror on, but are greasing it. It should take little effort to snap it in place and the grease helps facilitate that and keeps you from repairing or replacing the black portion of the mirror with the spring clips at a later date.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 7:42 am

Smile

One more thang:

Use tethers!!! If you don't have them already...

Lost one mirror on a 6" pothole in downtown Atlanta.

Lost another one whilst jumping a deer in Peachtree City.

At $240/each, they are NOT cheap!!!
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 1:53 am

Another thing to check is the mirror assembly it self and make sure that none of the metal clip mounts are broken.
on the mirror there is 2 spung metal clips per corner. these are held in place with plastic. the plastic can crack and the metal clips dont lock to the bike and the mirro does not sit flush with the bike.
there is a few posts on how to repair this with jb weld and zip ties is probably the easiest and very strong as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in