Tipover wing removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 6:58 am Thread Starter

Tipover wing removal

Just got a set of the new MickOPegs and need some help with the tipover wing removal. I've done a search but cant find anything?

I have looked under the wing and it seems simple, I have ground lighting and was wondering if those light unplug during removal?

Also, I must make a notch for the new mounting system to have clearence, any suggestions on the best way to go about this. I figure drill a hole and use a saw?? knive???
any help would be appreciated

Glen
05klt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 7:54 am

Tipover wing removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
Just got a set of the new MickOPegs and need some help with the tipover wing removal. I've done a search but cant find anything?

I have looked under the wing and it seems simple, I have ground lighting and was wondering if those light unplug during removal?

Also, I must make a notch for the new mounting system to have clearence, any suggestions on the best way to go about this. I figure drill a hole and use a saw?? knive???
any help would be appreciated

Glen
05klt
Glen,
I had to do that to install my XL J-pegs. It's pretty simple. There are 4 screws under the black wing. Two of those screws underneath the black part of the wing must be removed. You can get away without removing the screws holding the ground light. It will seem pretty tight removing the black wing because of the ground light but, once the black part of the wing is removed, you can unplug the ground light and move on to the chrome part wich has a screw at the rear near the bmw power outlet and two more under the wing itself. Once again, it's just a matter of jockeying the piece out of the clips that hold it in place in front at the tupperware. You have to be careful to watch and make sure the clips stay on the chrome piece as they have a tendency to come off with the black piece and/or when you slide the chrome piece out over the tipover bars. Don't know if you have to pull the wing itself off, but if so, that's an allen wrench fitting and the wing sometimes comes off hard because it fits the hole so closely.
I had to put holes in the underside of the black wing and used a dremel for that. Using the template that came with my J-pegs, it was easy.
Good luck!

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!

Last edited by wjhanna; Jun 15th, 2006 at 7:56 am. Reason: forgot a sentence
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 1:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You have to remove (two screws) and unplug the ground lights before you remove the black cover. Install in reverse order. You should have had a template from Mic-O-Peg for the clearance holes.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:50 am

Tipover removal

I've had mine off a few times and the ground light removal is a wasted effort. Just remove the two other screws and you can unplug the ground lights without removing the fixture.

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 8:28 am

Glen,

When I install my J-peg XLs I used a Dremmel tool to make the cuts. It allowed me to make simple, precise cuts. That's my recommendation.

As far as removal of the wings...not a problem as everyone as said.

Keith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in