How to park LT in a wind open range? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

How to park LT in a wind open range?

If you are in the middle of no-were, with no wind protection. them a strong 30mph, maybe 50mph wind start blowing from SouthWest, what would be the best way to park the bike?
The front nose facing what direction?
Center stant or Side stand?
Drop it down?

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Hmmm

I'm thinking side stand. Wind blowing against the right side of the bike..

But if the wind does a 180 you're screwed.

J

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 12 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
If you are in the middle of no-were, with no wind protection. them a strong 30mph, maybe 50mph wind start blowing from SouthWest, what would be the best way to park the bike?
The front nose facing what direction?
Center stant or Side stand?
Drop it down?
That is a pretty good question Elton! Had not thought about it before.

My first thought would be centerstand facing into the wind. I would not trust side stand in gusty wind.

Laying it down, although a pretty good way to avoid blow over damage, will have one worried about fluid leaks/overflows. Laying it on the left side could pool oil in the combustion chambers, right side would be better for engine oil, but then final drive may overflow the vent plug.

The biggest problem would be brakes/clutch. Some of us have had no front brakes after a tip over because of air bubbles in the line from the master cylinder. This can work itself out after some time, but bleeding is the best way to repair this.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 9:57 pm

After pulling into a Harley shop in Wyoming with every bike on the lot blown over by the wind, we parked our bikes (We were on Harley's) facing into the wind and on the side stand as Harley's don't have centerstands. That worked for us.

After getting caught in some unbelievable wind on my LT, with no place to go, not even a shoulder to pull off on, I had no other choice than to just hang on *tight* and keep on driving. Once the road took a turn between mountains it blocked the wind for me.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 2:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just a guess, nose into the wind, on the side stand, 'course in first. Tail into the wind, like parking the nose going down hill.
Bob, 00LT
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 6:02 am

Park it facing into the the wind and hope for the best
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:33 am

Coni's on the right track - wind is the norm out here (Something about Nebraska I hear). Parking in the open with 30mph is pretty common.

Wind shifting is rare here - fairly consistant when it's blowing. Takes a pressure front or other drastic change to get things 180.

Point the nose into the wind. If you need to expose a side at all or even quartering due to other limtis - go for the right side to take the brunt, side stand it. Avoid 90 degree broadside - keep it as close to nose on as you can.

No way I'd expose it to a tail wind while parked.

Can't say side or center is better than the other - I've only ever used the side stand in the wind - ain't had a prob, yet (::knock on wood:

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 12 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:13 pm

On the side stand because, the three suppot points are farther apart then the centerstand, therefore a wider support base. Bike in gear as posted earlier.

Wind comming from the right front quarter. Least effect from the wind would be from the front, but you want some force from the right side to plant the kickstand.

oh ya windshield all the way down.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Would putting it in reverse be better than in 1st gear? It has less slack in reverse.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Would putting it in reverse be better than in 1st gear? It has less slack in reverse.
Just a guess here, but no. The reverse is run off the starter motor, and the starter motor has no compression like the pistons to hold it in place.
So having reverse engaged would not necessarily keep the bike from moving.

Did that make sense?
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Reverse has much less holding power than first gear. Try it sometime. Get the bike on a bit of an incline (while sitting on the bike!), put it in reverse, and see how much resistance to movement there is. Then put it in first and compare.

Takes quite a bit to move the engine in first gear, not so much to turn the starter motor in reverse.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 5:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Its not nearly as bad as some people imagine so long as you follow the basics;
1 - side stand
2. in gear
3 most importantly, push the bike up to the engine resistance point before finalising the side stand position
4 - a chock behind the rear wheel

I have had mine on a ferry to the Isle of Wight with NO tie down 4 times - the above has held despite my constant worrying!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in