Cooling questions.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Cooling questions....

I am not sure if my bike was running hot, but I discussed the possibility of overheating with the dealer today and they gave me a few items. I wanted to run them past the experts here to ensure that they were not feeding me a line and that I was not likely to damage the engine.

1. I was told the 2005 LT "eats" coolant. If you fill the thing to the max line it will boil it off to the min line. Is this correct?

2. I was also told that the temp gauge was not going to be necessarily a good gauge of the heat in the engine. This engine tends to run hot especially in stop and go traffic. They indicated that I should look out for the temp warning light. Does this make sense?

I will take the bike in on Saturday for peace of mind, but I sure would like to make sure I am not going to cause damage to the engine.

As always, thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
1. I was told the 2005 LT "eats" coolant. If you fill the thing to the max line it will boil it off to the min line. Is this correct?

2. I was also told that the temp gauge was not going to be necessarily a good gauge of the heat in the engine. This engine tends to run hot especially in stop and go traffic. They indicated that I should look out for the temp warning light. Does this make sense?
#1 BS 2 yrs & 19,000 miles and not a drop of coolant has been added nor needed.

2. Possible but why have it if it is worthless!! Yeah they will heat up in stop and go traffic that is why we have fans that come on to move more air when it does. I understand the early bike get almost to the "red" mark before fans kick in and cool it back down. The 05 + has no "red" area, so not sure where to raise the warning flag - I guess when the "light" comes on and any other indication is considered "normal".

Sounds like time to find a better dealer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

John,

Thanks again. I am dealing with Foothills BMW here in Denver. I heard good things about them, but they seem to not be living up to their reputation.

They want to hook my bike up to some kind of gadget to check the cooling system. Does this make sense? If not, is there a way to check it myself? I am so tired of messing with this stuff. I bought a new bike hoping to avoid this.....

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is the MoDiTec Diagnostic system and yes it will tell a lot about what is going on. I know they can use it to set the "low fuel" light trip point - may be able to "calibrate" the temp gage. Not sure.

Some of these bikes have been problematic and some have escaped. The only thing so far on mine was a rear tranny seal leaking. Fixed under warranty and no other problems so far. Guess it depends on what day of the week they were built.

Good Luck

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Wink shamelessly pimping a dealer

Quote:
John,

Thanks again. I am dealing with Foothills BMW here in Denver. I heard good things about them, but they seem to not be living up to their reputation.

They want to hook my bike up to some kind of gadget to check the cooling system. Does this make sense? If not, is there a way to check it myself? I am so tired of messing with this stuff. I bought a new bike hoping to avoid this.....
I go to BMW of Denver. Martin is the service manager. Matt and Karson at Parts desk. It is my impression that the only time they don't know your name is when you walk in the first time.

Nothing but lots of good to say about that operation.
I believe that other BMWLT.net members go to BMW of Denver, as well.

If the folks at Foothills were the ones who told you about issues #1 & #2, I'd not walk but run another direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy riding!
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Quote:

I'm always amazing how some local dealers know so much more then those stupid German engineers. I would say they should be building motorcycles instead of those.

Last and only time I put coolant on my 2002 was when replace the 2_years_old_same_level coolant it had. Unless the 2005 have a different engine refrigeration system, I would not believe it will Ďeatí water.

The temp gauge on my is very accurate: In the middle if the temp is OK, moving up if Iím in a stop and go. Closing to the red line right before the cooling fan start, back to the middle when cools down. What else it should show?

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #7 of 9 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 5:13 pm
Just ridin'

The LT does not "eat coolant". That is a complete fabrication.

The LT has two means of controlling the coolant temperature. (1) a standard coolant thermostat which opens at a specific temperature. (2) cooling fans that kick in at a higher, preset temperature. With sufficient airflow through the radiators the temperature will be pretty stable at about midrange on the gauge. When you are not moving fast enough to provide sufficient airflow the fans will kick in. Here is the rub - the thermostat for the fans will not trigger until the coolant temperature is close to the red on the older gauges. This is NORMAL behavior. When you are stopped the fans will cycle on as the gauge nears the red, the temperature will begin to immediately drop - usually enough that the fans turn back off. Then the cycle will repeat.

Don't worry about it - "just ride it"

I have not heard bad things about Foothills or the Fort Collins dealer, but I will say that the folks at BMW of Denver are honest and committed to your satisfaction. They are also supporters of this site. There are many people in the service department who are very well qualified and there is a wealth of historical BMW knowledge among the staff. When we got burned by a donor to Curve Cowboy Reunion in 2004, BMW of Denver stepped up to the plate to make it far less costly to the organization, absorbing some of the cost themselves.

Being a profitable BMW dealer today is very difficult proposition and I am sure it is very tempting for a dealer to cut corners to help the bottom line. I can honestly say I have never seen BMW of Denver cut any corners.

Stop by and visit, you won't be disappointed.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 9 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Thumbs up Denver

I'm not aware of "Foothills" rep., but from personal exp. I say Good On Denver BMW. When I broke down there last August, they did every thing they could to get me back on the road. Also from Experience, don't neglect at least every other year coolant changes. Mine filled the right side radiator (the one with the thermostat) with goo causing chronic hot running. Back-Flushing out the goo fixed it. Think I'll change it anualy from now on!
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:25 pm

I just came home last night from a 1700 mi trip and sat on the 405 freeway for an hour in stop and go traffic the temp was in the eighties and the temp on the 05' bike stayed just above normal with the fans cycling on and off and in 14k miles the coolant has never changed. Go see the guys at BMW in Denver, when I was there a couple of years ago I walked in to look at an LT and left feeling like one of the family!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in