How to Remove Windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question How to Remove Windshield

I want to put my stock BMW windshield back on (the BMW tall version is going back for a refund).

Checked the owner's manual, searched articles here, and searched the forums. Found 1 brief comment about pulling the silver bracket covers off, from the inboard side. Need more details...

Just need to know how to get the windshield off with breaking/cracking anything.

TIA.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:10 pm

There is no more details. Grab the covers from the inboard side, yank them off & you will see the screws.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I want to put my stock BMW windshield back on (the BMW tall version is going back for a refund).

Checked the owner's manual, searched articles here, and searched the forums. Found 1 brief comment about pulling the silver bracket covers off, from the inboard side. Need more details...

Just need to know how to get the windshield off with breaking/cracking anything.

TIA.
As posted by JATownsend just several minutes ago:

Click here

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:14 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

OK guys, thanks.
I'm out to the garage to give 'er a go.

(thanks also for fast responses!)

(edited 18 minutes later
Done. That was easy. It was alarming to hear the sound the covers made when they came off (takes a good bit of pressure); same thing when they go back on. "SNAP!"

Could do it in 5 minutes next time.

First thing I've done to my LT. Now I need to take all the panels off and replace them with proper tightening procedure; hopefully this eliminates the rattling/vibrations I'm getting since it was in the shop.

Thanks all.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Oct 11th, 2005 at 10:36 pm.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 4:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
OK guys, thanks.
I'm out to the garage to give 'er a go.

(thanks also for fast responses!)

(edited 18 minutes later
Done. That was easy. It was alarming to hear the sound the covers made when they came off (takes a good bit of pressure); same thing when they go back on. "SNAP!"

Could do it in 5 minutes next time.

First thing I've done to my LT. Now I need to take all the panels off and replace them with proper tightening procedure; hopefully this eliminates the rattling/vibrations I'm getting since it was in the shop.

Thanks all.
You will be lucky - it is a natural rattler. Thin draft excluder stuck in the areas that rub can help though.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #6 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 4:54 am

Quote: Thin draft excluder stuck in the areas that rub can help though.

Right on. I've just had all the panel work off my 99 model. Several layers of firm sticky backed rubber strips cut to size went onto the front corners of my lower fairing where it used to vibrate against the upper fairing at idle.

The noise drove me nuts! Not any longer though. Worth the effort while everything is off.

BTW, it took me about 2 hours to remove all the panel work using nothing more than the key supplied with the tool kit.

Good luck

Barry
Brisbane
Australia
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 4:56 am

You've likely already done it by now, but be careful snapping those little silver devils back on. The small series of "fins" that secure the covers to the inboard side of the mounting plates can break off before you know it. Sort of on the order of that poorly designed little tab that snugs the silver covers on the tip over wings to the side panels on each side. I finally gave up on them.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in