Do Goldwings have same slow speed handling issues? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Do Goldwings have same slow speed handling issues?

In another posting I asked for advice for slow speed braking with the LT and got some great tips. Thanks!!! Then I got to wondering if the GL has similar problems with slow speed handling when braking. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:10 am

If you took one for a ride, you wouldn't think so. Not until you got involved with a GW forum and read through their threads about tip-overs and drops. Those guys drop their Wings as much as we drop our LTs. The only difference is theirs cost more to fix after the drop.
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 1:00 am

Red face

I look at it this way .... bike weighs @850#'s, rider weight 200#'s +/- more, crap stashed in panniers & tank bag ??

Total weight at MINIMUM 1100 POUNDS !!! At slow speed it will handle like a top heavy wheel barrel

Deal with it & learn whats required to stop smart & straight.
It gets easier the more you ride.
Next challenge is to "NOT" join the DAC (Droppers Anoumous Club)

Myself as many have, joined numerous times

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 2:15 am

Originally wanted a GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby
Then I got to wondering if the GL has similar problems with slow speed handling when braking. What do you think?
No. Not even close.

But would you rather have instability at in a parking lot at 10mph or instability on a mountain curve at 65mph?
post #5 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 2:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
But would you rather have instability at in a parking lot at 10mph or instability on a mountain curve at 65mph?
These guys might hold a pretty good argument...

post #6 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:33 am

i believe the thing that throws most folks off about the low-speed handling of the LT is that the forks don't compress when you squeeze the brakes. you spend years and years riding bikes that compress and suddenly you have to relearn what to expect. when your forks compress it has a way of "dampening" your low-speed turning, whereas the LT tends to jar you when you squeeze the brake in mid-turn.

as others have said in other threads, the secret is to keep the front wheel pointed straight anytime you use the front brake at low speeds. otherwise the beast may well give you a jolt, then deposit you on the tarmac.
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:53 am

Not

I test rode a GW a couple of years ago and it is not as difficult to handle in the parking lot as the LT. It's as heavy, or heavier than the LT but, that big flat engine sets pretty low to the ground and I didn't notice it being nearly as top heavy as the LT. It's also pretty nimble on the road.

Having said that, I love my LT and I'm not sure I would trade it for a new GW, even if I could get one as well eqiipped as the LT. They both have their good and bad points. But, GW bashing, for the sake of bashing, is not nearly as legitimate (or as much fun) as Harley bashing.
post #8 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark
But, GW bashing, for the sake of bashing, is not nearly as legitimate (or as much fun) as Harley bashing.
i'm sure you were joking there, les. but honestly, i really don't get this need some of us have to bash either wings or hawgs (or any bike, for that matter). different strokes for different folks.

i am the precise same person i was when i rode a wing (or a kawasaki or a yamaha, or a KTM, or a bultaco, etc., etc.).
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:29 am

My 2c ... I test rode a Goldwing for about an hour before riding the K1200LT.

It handles fine at slow speeds . It's lower center of gravity (I believe) Allows it to handle pretty good in the parking lot. But it's still a beheamouth.

The one I road did not have ABS ... the brakes are good , but no where near the power of the LT which could be a problem at slow speeds if you mistakenly grab a handful.

Having riden a long time with bikes that have brembos (Best brakes on the planet IMO) , I learned a long time ago to 2 finger the brakes. When I road the LT for the first time ... 2 fingers almost put me over the windshield

I 1 finger the LT and it's all the brakes you need. I RARELY use the rear brake. Old sport bike racing habit but it's never let me down. Brake late and hard to near the apex and roll on through the turn.

Rear brakes for me are used on loose surfaces and in parking lots when wheel is turned.

BTW .... The LT outhandles the Goldwing by a mile when pushed hard and I haven't found bottom yet unlike the Goldwing which found bottom in a test ride.
post #10 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:37 am

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
i'm sure you were joking there, les. but honestly, i really don't get this need some of us have to bash either wings or hawgs (or any bike, for that matter). different strokes for different folks.

i am the precise same person i was when i rode a wing (or a kawasaki or a yamaha, or a KTM, or a bultaco, etc., etc.).

hawgs????
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
hawgs????
errrr, no offense!
post #12 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
errrr, no offense!

Heh, heh...actually I appreciate yer not lettin any hawg bashin going on!!!
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
Heh, heh...actually I appreciate yer not lettin any hawg bashin going on!!!
you give me too much credit! it's actually not up to me. bash away but don't expect me to join in or to even "get it."
post #14 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 2:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Hi All, It's like Petre says ...Snip...Having riden a long time with bikes that have brembos (Best brakes on the planet IMO) , I learned a long time ago to 2 finger the brakes. When I road the LT for the first time ... 2 fingers almost put me over the windshield
I 1 finger the LT and it's all the brakes you need. I RARELY use the rear brake. Old sport bike racing habit but it's never let me down. Brake late and hard to near the apex and roll on through the turn......
We spent last winter on Florida in our motorhome . And We took our K1200LT / Hannigan 2+2 as our dingy . Our LT rig was our only tranportation there , and Wile there I was using one finger with our K1200LT rig . So we get home and I was quick to remember that one finger doesn't get with my R1100GS or the Helix . I grabbed a big one finger hand full of brakes , and said ohooh...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #15 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Interesting discussion. I just bought my 1st BMW - a LT-c, in april. I had a '86 Yamaha venture royale. After reading post about low speed handling, I am pleasantly supprised that I think my LT is great at all speeds, and better than my Venture. I was doing some purposeful low speed practice riding the other day and thought things were going good. No spills, no problems. Can come to a stop and then go, without putting the feet down. Anyway, love the LT, best bike I've owned.

Jim

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #16 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Joe,

Funny observation of the first GW pic posted ..... Looks like we have a set of Treadless track slicks mounted.
Rider most likely a test pilot to see how far you can go before ugly happens.

Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #17 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 9:10 pm

All,

Top pic is of Yellow Wolf (I think). I am not a Wing guy but I've heard that he films guys riding the Dragon and doesn't have trouble keeping up with anyone.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #18 of 21 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Someone indicated that it costs more when you drop a Wing. Not true you who has never done it! The Wing lays over, in my experience, much more gracefully than the LT and is relatively easy to right using the correct technique.
Also, speaking from experience with a 97' Wing and a couple thousand miles on a GL1800, the slow speed handling is much easier on the GL1800 than on the LT. I have never dumped my LT with over 6K miles but have spend time practicing to gain handling technique. In the hands of a novice, the GL1800 will feel more stable at slow speeds than the LT - pretty much guaranteed!
And, as with the LT, ya can't tell a sheep by its clothing. Both are easier to ride and handle than they look if you take charge of the machine and look/feel beyond the "tupperware"! In the hands of an experienced rider, either is a great bike!
post #19 of 21 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 6:28 pm

can't speak for the Wing but can say I have had my LT for a short time now, and was terified prior to picking it up. The posts on this site talking about drops. I was ready to just drop it to get it over with. I have had a few different bikes nothing like the LT before and thought low speed issue was going to be a real problem. I have had the bike for about a month now put on a 1000 miles, no drops yet! Is it coming? Maybe, but the parking lot speeds are not such a big deal. The bike is tall so you need to watch your footing, keep the wheel straight and all those things you read on this site. Relax you don't have to muscle the thing around or get uptight ever time you start to slow down. That was me the first few times I rode her. I don't even think about it now. I ride her, I don't baby her around parking lots and yea I will probably one day drop her. I only say that because the poll speaks for itself. I do love her and treat her right and expect the same from her.

Ride it!!!

2000 K1200 LTC
post #20 of 21 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Smile My Two Cents Worth

I previously owned a 2002 LT which I recently sold and purchased an 06 LT. I also have a 2001 Gold Wing purchased almost 4 years ago. Since I have owned the Gold Wing, I have put about 6000 miles on it. The LT I just sold had 68000 miles plus on it and the 06 already has 4300 miles on it. Need I say which one I prefer to ride?
post #21 of 21 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Thumbs up GW versus LT

I owned and rode both a BMW K1200LTC and a Goldwing GL1800. Each has its own inherent quality and problems. The GW handles better under very slow manuevers, because its center of gravity is almost dead center and definitely lower than the LT. However, I could also do everything the GW did by exercising more riding skills, as the LT is not that forgiving at ultra slow, parking lot turns. As stated in a Rider magazine review, the rider seats IN the GW and ON the BMW.

The biggest problem I had with the GW was it's road clearance. I like to lean into turns because of my sport riding skills. The GW foot pegs continually scraped many of the turns I made, whereas the BMW never got close to scraping; talk about un-nerving. On approaching a turn, I would lift the foot off the peg because I knew the GW peg would scrape the roadway. That made for a very uninspiring ride.

Bottom line though is that the machines will out perform most rider's skill much of the time. As with any tight turn, too many riders look downward toward the roadway in the direction of their turn. That procedure almost guarantees the bike will follow that downward direction towards the asphalt, so it does not matter which machine has better brakes, center of gravity, road clearance, or whatever. Practice and fine tune your riding skills and each bike will perform to your satisfaction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in