K1200LT Newbie ;) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 30th, 2014, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Newbie ;)

Looks like im taking the plunge this sunday, doing a train & ride purchase Heading to san diego, if all looks as good a said to be i'll riding home on a 2005 LT with 22K on the meter. Its been a tough decision based on all the readings iv'e done, the bad, ugly & some even uglier but LOTS of good as well.
I plan on doing most maintenance myself & hope to do a tech day with some locals to get a good grip on things first hand. Been riding bikes since 4 years old & have just cracked the big 50 last year. Wrenched on bikes my whole life, but NEVER a BMW, let alone own one up to this point (if all goes well sunday) Wish me luck & look forward to meeting some local LT owners. Till next time

RIDE ON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 30th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Re: K1200LT Newbie ;)

I put 120,000 miles on my LT's, and had most of the known problems, including slave cylinders (3), worst was the starter sprag clutch, even had to replace the pistons once.

Would I buy another one? Absolutely! Loved that bike.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 9 Old May 30th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Poll says a lot would buy another!
I'm telling you once you get on to her she is a blast one up and great for two!
IMO if you can only have one bike and do want to two up tour you can hardly beat it.

post #4 of 9 Old May 30th, 2014, 9:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Good luck with your planned purchase! If you get it, let us know - I'm less than 20 miles from you.
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

I'm ALL in guys. Did the train to San Diego & the ride back Sunday. Bike was as nice as described, even though sometimes we doubt the pics. Overall, 05' LT with 22k, Ohlins F/R, Full Remus Exhaust, Muth Signal Mirrors, PIAA Driving lights, Rhinewest cam sprockets, Corbin heated seats, wired for radar, xm & a bunch of other disco biscuits, overall LOADED. Being only my second ride on a LT the trip back was a KOOL 178 mile trek of getting to know one another. LOVE this bike & look forward to many miles of smiles

RIDE ON!
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
I'm ALL in guys. Did the train to San Diego & the ride back Sunday. Bike was as nice as described, even though sometimes we doubt the pics. Overall, 05' LT with 22k, Ohlins F/R, Full Remus Exhaust, Muth Signal Mirrors, PIAA Driving lights, Rhinewest cam sprockets, Corbin heated seats, wired for radar, xm & a bunch of other disco biscuits, overall LOADED. Being only my second ride on a LT the trip back was a KOOL 178 mile trek of getting to know one another. LOVE this bike & look forward to many miles of smiles

RIDE ON!
Forgot the MOST important thing, even with the 22K miles on her, the PO just had the 24K FULL service done from BMW S.D. Very detailed receipt/work order & a whopping $1200 bill. That was the main buying aspect of this deal, plus all the disco biscuits installed

RIDE ON!
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the bike and forum. One of the best ways to learn about the tech is to attend the Curve Cowboy Reunion (Aug 26-30) http://www.curvecowboyreunion.com/ Tech sessions and people who know the bike inside and out.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:31 am

Congrats on the purchase. I saw that one on Craiglist. It was very well set up. If I hadn't just bought my 09 in December, I would have been all over that one.

2003 KTM 525EXC
2006 KTM 300 XCW
2011 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
Congrats on the purchase. I saw that one on Craiglist. It was very well set up. If I hadn't just bought my 09 in December, I would have been all over that one.
Thanks for the tech link Socaltrailrider, jerry is that you? Shawn aka dzrtracin from adv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in