Knowing what you know now.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: Would you buy a K1200LT again?
YES 112 73.20%
NO 25 16.34%
Maybe 16 10.46%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Knowing what you know now..

Would you buy a K1200LT all over again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 1:32 am
cws

Garage
Re: Knowing what you know now..

almost did last week... for spares!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 7:10 am

I would in a minute if they still made them. I tend to by a bike and then get a three or four year extended warranty and when that is up I get a new bike. I like reliability and as bikes get older the reliability starts to diminish and something will eventually break. I have owned my 2007 since 2008 purchased with 1000 miles on it and I now have 30K on the bike. I guess it depends on your expectations and experience with the machine. I have had no mechanical issues at all and find the bike to be the best tourer for me. This year I have to decide whether to keep it or buy new. It will be a tough decision.

post #4 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 9:15 am

Yes I would buy another LT!! I wish they still made them. I just bought this one and plan on running it into the ground. Had 24k on it in September 0f 2013 has 31plus K on it now and will have a lot more. I enjoy riding not letting it sit around and collect dust. Great bike so far. I have learned a lot form this forum. Keep up the good work ,Keep posting.

Dave
2005 K1200LT
2008 Gl1800 Roadsmith Trike
1989 Gl 1500 Goldwing sold with 205k mile and just broke in.
1978 GL1000 bought new rode 18 months put 30K on it sold.
Always looking for an excuse to ride!!!
post #5 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 10:55 am

I would not.

It is a great bike when properly maintained, but the deal killer for me, and I should have investigated more prior to purchase, is the really sparse dealer network. Coming from a Japanese bike history I'm accustomed to a dealer on every corner in every town.
Being stranded 3x with this bike isn't enjoyable.

Having said all that, I will keep this thing until the engine gives out or it has some catastrophic repair issue.
post #6 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 12:23 pm

I had to say maybe, I love my LT but with some of the new stuff out now I really like the RT and just the range of tires and stuff for them to maintain is easier. but them what are you going to get so many miles of smiles out of.

It's not what you ride, it's where you ride to eat!
post #7 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Garage
Smile Re: Knowing what you know now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1955 View Post
Would you buy a K1200LT all over again?
Slight explanation for what I'm about to say:

I do all the maintenance on the machines, have recently done a complete "go over" of the LT, new clutch, brake lines, starter relay, new starter and clutch slave cylinder, rear drive rebuild, rear main seal, transmission reseal, , and other stuff. The LT is an AWESOME machine, but the cost of ownership is OFF scale per miles ridden. My R-GS and two Airheads are MUCH cheaper to run and maintain, because of the Rear Drive issues, and some other engineering failures by the "mothership"

So to answer the question - Not NO but HELL NO!!!

Do I love my LT? HELL YES!!

You asked .

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #8 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 1:12 pm

I voted no, which doesn't tell the whole story. The bike is absolutely an awesome motorcycle - for its designed purpose. It's the purpose that I voted no for, not the bike. I've had my share of problems with the bike, yet still have never regretted owning it.
post #9 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 2:04 pm

NO, I bought as K1600GTL

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #10 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Haven't looked at any other bikes since I bought my 2000. SO, don't know what other options there are?
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 3:45 pm

If this forum didn't exist, then no way (I'd be looking at that new Goldwing F6B!!!!!); it does, so I voted yes. Regardless of the issue, the advise from everyone on this forum makes it surmountable.

'15 GTLE

post #12 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Voted no but like another respondent, I love my 99 LT. I do my own wrenching which would normally bias me towards a "yes" vote since the cost of service and repairs is mostly paid in sweat equity and not cash dollars (which is what my CFO (wife) see's going out). However, I've found the ratio of wrenching to riding exceeds what I consider tolerable. I'd rather spend the time riding. If you're the type of rider that gets immense satisfaction from working on your ride and have the tools, place, and means to do it then I think that changes the equation. Also buying and trading before the warranty end makes if you can afford to do so.

My reasoning: buy an LT if (1) you plan to do all maintenance and repairs (after warranty), (2) you are willing to pay a dealer to do all maintenance and repairs (which could be $10K +/- over a ten year span or so and, (3) if you're going to trade it at warranty's end.
post #13 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Current one is my second (Both bought new)

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #14 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 6:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I voted yes, but it was close to a no. The GTL Exclusive is getting close. Just not ready yet to pay 30 large for a bike that needs another $1,000 of windshield, hand protectors, leg protectors, etc. And has the dumbest oil check and change procedures ever devised. I mean two colinear drain plugs? Did BMW engineering have a contest to see who could design the goofiest oil drain configuration?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #15 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 7:46 pm

I voted Yes, being on my 3rd LT and totaling close to 200k miles on all 3 (all bought used).
However I just purchased a 2011 RT because my new commute includes street riding as well as highway and I wanted something lighter and more nimble than an LT to ride the mean streets of Los Angeles (maintained like crap). The 05 LT will be up for sale shortly with a new rear EBC rotor and pads, all new brake lines and front pads, and a new fork seal. The clutch was replaced at75k (about 5k miles ago), along with the slave cylinder.
It was the most comfortable bike for my pillion and I may have to spend some money to make the RT an "acceptable" substitute.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 7:50 pm

No, I probably would not buy another one. I do however really enjoy riding it. They just have to many issues and I seem to get all of them. A RT might be in the future at some point.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #17 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok View Post
No, I probably would not buy another one. I do however really enjoy riding it. They just have to many issues and I seem to get all of them. A RT might be in the future at some point.
Much the same here. I was leaning towards GTL (and still probably am), but the new wasserboxer RT has my interest. The simpler maintenance is very attractive as is the lighter weight. Probably a bigger windshield and a few other mods and it might be an acceptable two-up mount.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 9:45 pm

I voted yes because I sure all bikes have problems. I wanted a big bike for comfort and I took a chance. It's a tough decision because now I'm fully aware of what I have. Seven grand five years ago for the LT wasn't that bad of a deal and the deals are even better now and people continue to buy them. It will always be a great bike even at the risks.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #19 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Much the same here. I was leaning towards GTL (and still probably am), but the new wasserboxer RT has my interest. The simpler maintenance is very attractive as is the lighter weight. Probably a bigger windshield and a few other mods and it might be an acceptable two-up mount.
I was at the dealer on Saturday talking to the parts guy and another customer came back from a test ride on the new liquid cooled RT. He asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. Nice bike. Feels way lighter than the LT. If my riding was primarily one up, I'd take a hard look at the RT. BUT, my wife loves the comfort of the LT so it stays in the garage. Maybe one day I can add the RT as well......

2003 KTM 525EXC
2006 KTM 300 XCW
2011 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #20 of 48 Old May 26th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Would have to say yes since I've bought two of them. The maintenance is a killer for sure, but the style, the ride, the technology is just hard to beat.

Also, I'm spoiled relative to some of you - Two dealers in the same city, several long trips and not stranded once, no major failures (well the clutch was an operator error).

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #21 of 48 Old May 27th, 2014, 12:28 am

Am hoping to replace my 2001 with an '05 or newer, but they seem to be getting harder to find in my area.

Rick
'05 LT
'01 LT (for parts)

post #22 of 48 Old May 27th, 2014, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBarbecue View Post
Am hoping to replace my 2001 with an '05 or newer, but they seem to be getting harder to find in my area.
I have a nice well-farkled 2007 with 40K miles that will need a clutch soon. Want to make me an offer?

I have some of the key parts (viton o-ring) and tools (alignment tool) and plan to do the work this coming winter. Once the clutch is done, it won't be for sale again any time soon.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; May 27th, 2014 at 7:43 am.
post #23 of 48 Old May 27th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
I was at the dealer on Saturday talking to the parts guy and another customer came back from a test ride on the new liquid cooled RT. He asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. Nice bike. Feels way lighter than the LT. If my riding was primarily one up, I'd take a hard look at the RT. BUT, my wife loves the comfort of the LT so it stays in the garage. Maybe one day I can add the RT as well......
What he said....

One negative for the LT for me is the lack of after-market parts.
post #24 of 48 Old May 27th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I voted yes, because I haven't found anything yet that my pillion likes as well. getting the comfort performance and economy of the LT is pretty special.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #25 of 48 Old May 27th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Would I buy one new? No.
Nor would I buy about any other bike new. Prices are just too high for the amount of riding I can do and the income I make. Now, if I ever get into seven digits without the decimal point and without working many hours so I can ride more, I reserve the right to change my mind...though an expensive bike won't be my first purchase there, either. I'm not faulting anyone for buying a new bike -- and thank goodness you do, makes used bikes available for cheap b***ards like me. Just not what I'm going to spend my limited cash on.

Used? LT seems to be more bike for the buck than anything else out there...maybe a third the price of a used Harley and half the price of a used Goldwing. My dealer supports my LT and my '85 K100 Just Fine. If my LT dies catastrophically tomorrow, I'll buy another one. If my final drive fails tomorrow, I'll get it fixed -- even if I have to buy new parts, I'm still ahead of the competition.

Every time I sit on my LT, I smile. That's the point, right?
post #26 of 48 Old May 27th, 2014, 11:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I voted No, but have still really enjoyed the LT. In hindsight, I should have just gone with an RT and would likely still be happy with riding it. As it is, the LT has taken a lot of maintenance and is still not all that reliable. I'll likely be trading it on an RTW some time in the near future.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #27 of 48 Old May 28th, 2014, 12:07 am

I absolutely love this bike as a touring mile eater. I really think it's awesome in a lot of ways. But Jury's still out on buying another one. It just has too many issues.Although I've had none of them .The ABS pumps can be problematic. I still think the Servo assist is the most absurd, ridicules over the top piece of crap I've seen. Power brakes? Really??Seems to me. I should be able to handle stopping after 23+ years of riding without power assist. And.Even though I can strip most of the Tupperware (including stingray) off now in less than 30 minutes. Would I buy another?? Too soon to answer. I get frustrated working on her. Thinking about some of the design flaws. But then I get on it and ride. And all the frustration melts away and marvel at just what a great road machine it is.But every bike has flaws. But I am getting better working on it so.. Maybe I would. The wife really love her though. And I do too. But it's a love,hate relationship sometimes. I just think there are things BMW could have done better.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; May 28th, 2014 at 12:18 am.
post #28 of 48 Old May 28th, 2014, 1:14 am

I agree pretty much with James216's comments. There is a lot of risk associated with owning our bikes. Quality-wise it appears to me that there is a very large range between a "good one" and a "bad one". That said, things like the telelever front suspension and overall handling package really spoil you, but if I were riding only solo then the LT would be at the bottom of my list, come to think of it, so too would BMW as a brand. Just too many quality issues. The only motorcycle ever built with more focus on pillion comfort than rider comfort.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #29 of 48 Old May 28th, 2014, 2:20 pm
cwo

Yes, I recently got a 2013 GTL and it is a fantastic bike. However, the LT does some things better such as overall comfort on long trips. Was going to sell the LT, now I can't talk myself into it. Guess I keep riding the 05 LT until one of us breaks down..... Wonder if they have an LT in heaven?

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #30 of 48 Old May 28th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Yes, I would buy another, and I did! After losing the '99 it was replaced with an '06.

Current:
2006 BMW K1200LT
2010 BMW R1200RT
Previous:
1999 BMW K1200LT
2007 Yamaha FZ6
1986 Suzuki GS550L
1985 Suzuki GS650L
1977 Kawasaki KZ650
1975 Kawasaki F7
1973 Honda CB175
post #31 of 48 Old May 28th, 2014, 5:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Nope. I'll keep the one I have as long as it's somewhat economical to repair it, but my next BMW is going to be a Honda GW1800.

post #32 of 48 Old May 28th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Nope. I'll keep the one I have as long as it's somewhat economical to repair it, but my next BMW is going to be a Honda GW1800.
Dean, Dean, Dean...I am shocked!

Not really. You going to the national?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #33 of 48 Old May 28th, 2014, 7:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Dean, Dean, Dean...I am shocked!

Not really. You going to the national?

Robert
But I could mount a roundel or two on it...............

Probably not going to the national, but certainly give me a call if you're going to be passing through. I think I have a spare beer or two and some vacation time.

post #34 of 48 Old May 29th, 2014, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBarbecue View Post
I just bought my 05 off craigslist, 3000 mi away. Bike is better then advertised but the shipping was a nightmare.
post #35 of 48 Old May 29th, 2014, 10:24 am

I bought mine used from the dealer. It was a dealer trade in on a GTL. It had 32,000 miles on it. It was bought new from there and all the maintenance was done there. The service guy printed out the full history for me. The po was religeous with his maintenance schedule. The only non maintenance issue I saw on the printout was a problem with the Voice II system early on. The only thing I have had to do to it was replace the rear rotor and the battery. Hopefully if I keep the maintenance up, I'll have the same results as the po.

2003 KTM 525EXC
2006 KTM 300 XCW
2011 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #36 of 48 Old May 29th, 2014, 4:14 pm

I did yesterday,its being delivered next Tuesday
post #37 of 48 Old May 29th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt View Post
I voted no, which doesn't tell the whole story. The bike is absolutely an awesome motorcycle - for its designed purpose. It's the purpose that I voted no for, not the bike. I've had my share of problems with the bike, yet still have never regretted owning it.
WTF??????

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #38 of 48 Old May 29th, 2014, 11:59 pm Thread Starter

I was scratching my head over that one also.
post #39 of 48 Old May 30th, 2014, 12:01 am

Had to vote NO on this one. I enjoyed it while riding, but thought the maintenance requirements were excessive and somewhat difficult to perform compared to other bikes I've owned.

Plus, when I did decide to sell it I had a hard time finding a buyer. Finally did sell it but really had to go lower than I wanted to.

That said, I'm not too sour on the bike. I did have some good times on it.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #40 of 48 Old May 30th, 2014, 12:17 am Thread Starter

Years ago I seen my first one in the back of a truck and I thought wth is that..thought it was way cool looking for a touring bike.

So I bought one a few years ago-this site and the people on it have been super!
But I think I know why it was in the back of that truck now..lol.

To be fair mine is still running strong at 77k and only had a brake hose and the speedo prob(to tight of a zip tie) all else good except it drips a little teeny bit of oil but the clutch is super!

Never had a bike that was so hard to use the throttle though..thank God it has cruise!
post #41 of 48 Old May 30th, 2014, 1:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt View Post
WTF??????
Well hell, it's as clear as mud to me, and that's all that counts. Bottom line, no, I wouldn't buy another one.
post #42 of 48 Old May 30th, 2014, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt View Post
WTF??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1955 View Post
I was scratching my head over that one also.
I assume he means that he thinks the designed purpose is touring or mostly touring (which I disagree with, btw) and doesn't do enough touring to justify it?

I voted yes - although I do agree with the previous comments that I probably would change my mind if this forum didn't exist, I didn't have tools and willingness to perform my own maintenance, etc.

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #43 of 48 Old May 30th, 2014, 12:26 pm

It's a perfect bike for touring, if you want to push an 880lb motorcycle. I don't. I want my FZ1 back, or maybe the FZ09 or an Aprilia Tuono. Just a personal preference.
But to bad mouth the LT? I can't. It's awesome. I didn't want my "no" vote to reflect on the bike itself.
Sorry to muddy up the waters.
post #44 of 48 Old May 30th, 2014, 5:14 pm

The '03 I bought new is an awesome bike.

Looking back, probably would be better served with a RT.

Mater of fact, looking for someone with a R1150 or R1200 who wants a Light Truck and is in a trading mood.

B D R
post #45 of 48 Old May 30th, 2014, 7:05 pm

As much as we enjoy riding this bike, I would have to say no. BMW is just too proud of the repair parts for this thing. I have been lucky by not having any major problems so far, but I know I am on borrowed time. sigh But it's paid for, so I'm going to keep it till it quits on me.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #46 of 48 Old May 30th, 2014, 8:53 pm

I would have to say no, because I like technology, and as the LT had it's time in the techno limelight for a number of reasons, the world of motorcycles has moved on, and I have ridden the GTL. It definitely has its warts, but is faster/safer/lighter/easier to ride. That said, I'm still riding my LT, which my wife LOVES, and she is not letting go of it at present. Time will tell how this shakes out, but the aftermarket is filling in the gaps quite nicely. It's all about the pillion seat, if Mom ain't happy, nobody's happy.

BMRBOB
post #47 of 48 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 11:27 pm

Since I posted. My FD blew out today .Sooo. My answer to owning another is now probably not. Although i'll get it fixed. In a couple years i'll trade up for another brand & newer.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #48 of 48 Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 8:43 am

I do love riding this bike and my girl friend loves it also but I just can't ride it without worry about the next road turning to rough gravel, can I get from the highway to the camp ground without dropping it, and issues like that. I don't like to be worrying about my destination when I am riding. These problems are probably more about me than the bike but you did ask. BTW I can ride my 1978 R100/7 with over 200k anywhere the LT will go but no way near as comfortably.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in