Delivering Power to the handlebars for iPhone 5 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Question Delivering Power to the handlebars for iPhone 5

Hey any help would be great! Thanks in advance

I have a 2008 K1200GT. I've added the ZTechnik iphone mount into the handlebars. Works great. Now I'm riding farther and using my music, mapping systems and SENA system. All this drains the iPhone 5 down fast.

I want to bring a power cable from the battery to the handle bars. Questions:

1. BMW wants $100-150 to do the work. Is this reasonable? Do they fiddle with the CAMBUS or will they jump is directly from the battery?

2. Can anyone do this? or is it really complicated and I could screw this bike up?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 11:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Delivering Power to the handlebars for iPhone 5

If you know what you're doing, it's pretty easy. If not, you can break things . . .

You can add a USB plug that will take battery voltage down to the 5V needed by your iPhone. Then use a short USB-to-Lightning cable to power the iPhone.

There are versions that plug into the existing 12V power socket on the bike (doesn't need any wring skills, but does leave some wires dangling), or you can hard wire to the battery for a neater, more permanent solution.

They make a waterproof USB plug that works well. The waterproof isn't strictly necessary if you tuck the USB plug up under the battery cover and leave the cable plugged in all the time, but it's not a bad idea.

You'd still need to add a fuse, and if you hook directly to the battery then it would be live all the time, potentially draining your battery down if the bike sat for a long time.

A nice option is to find the existing GPS plug that sits right in front of the battery and use that to power the USB plug. You can get a BMW cable that plugs right in so you don't have to cut any of the bike's wires, then just add the USB plug to that. That would solve the fuse problem, and power the iPhone whenever the key is on, until 60 seconds after key off. The plug can be seen right near the steering pivot point in this pic:

You'd need BMW part # 83 30 0 413 585 REPAIR PLUG, 3-PIN - NO. 611656 which costs about $20, and a USB socket like the waterproof plug listed above. And a Lightning cable of whatever length fits between the battery and your iPhone location.

I'm down in Oxnard, so I'd be glad to help you out with all of this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Ken, many, many thanks. I'm looking into this afternoon.

You are awesome! the pics helped a lot.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

No fuss, no muss - look at FarkleBar ( farklebar.com )

Motor On ,/'

post #5 of 6 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 10:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1 View Post
No fuss, no muss - look at FarkleBar ( farklebar.com )
Nice idea, if you're running a GPS, radar, phone, and a few other gadgets, but it's a bit much for just a phone, especially since there's a convenient CANbus-controlled plug sitting right there . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Probably late on this one. I bought my power cord for my iPhone 5s at Adventuredesigns.com a couple of weeks ago. It plugs into the power port on the left side, has a curly cord and transformer for the phone. Works perfectly. I use a Ram mount. Had great results.

Tags
electrical power, iphone 5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in