Name:	Jeff E GT6.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	3897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeff E GT7.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	3898  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 12:31 am

An SPIII? On your brand new GT? Oy VEY! You're not worthy!
post #3 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 12:32 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
An SPIII? On your brand new GT? Oy VEY! You're not worthy!
When Garmin comes out with their SIRIUS units, maybe I'll upgrade

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 3:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Got my first look and sit on a real GT today. Sure was tough not pulling out the credit card on the spot, especially with a serious discount available.

There were a lot of things to like, with only a few small niggles (where you gonna put highway pegs?).

I did like that they're using the same switchgear as the older bikes. Means you can still fit '02 RS mirrors, and get rid of those huge stalky things out front. And then maybe fab some light brackets for the old mirror mounts to put in some serious aftermarket HIDs. I don't know if that would be steady enough though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 5:40 am

Highway Pegs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
There were a lot of things to like, with only a few small niggles (where you gonna put highway pegs?).
I keep hearing/reading this comment regarding the new GT, and with all due respect Ken, find it quite odd. The same INability to mount highway pegs on the new GT is the VERY reason that this bike can be placed in a true Sport-Tourer's class, IMHO. Highway pegs are for cruisers and Luxury Tourers. If you want to truly SPORT Tour . . . there's a price to pay. Quite frankly, as much as I love my J-Pegs on the LT, I don't miss the lack of highway pegs on my Ninja one bit. Even during my longest days in the saddle (700 to 800 miles). The only thing that fatigues me on the Ninja, is my neck from a lack of wind protection. And the GT has that issue covered.

My two cents...
post #6 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Got my first look and sit on a real GT today. Sure was tough not pulling out the credit card on the spot, especially with a serious discount available.

I did like that they're using the same switchgear as the older bikes. Means you can still fit '02 RS mirrors, and get rid of those huge stalky things out front. And then maybe fab some light brackets for the old mirror mounts to put in some serious aftermarket HIDs. I don't know if that would be steady enough though.
Hey Ken - don't know if you noticed, butt El Jeffe pointed out that the mirror bosses on the GT bars are each a different size, at the bottom opening?! Weird, butt musta been a reason?! Escapes me tho!!

BTW - you do got some will power to NOT swipe the card!!!
post #7 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 8:02 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Highway pegs are for alternate leg/feet placement...
DUH!!! That's what the passenger pegs are for!
post #8 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 6:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't try to define a specific category, I just ride how I ride. That may include peg scraping, or a 1,500-mile day, or just popping down to the store, or any combination of the above. Remember, the LT is my primary transportation year-round, and in many cases replaces plane flights for business travel.

Some of us can't afford two bikes so we have to find one that works best for the majority of situations. The LT has been great for the past few years, but I sure wouldn't mind a bit more power and a bit less weight, as long as it remains comfortable for 20-hour days and two-up riding (not in the same day though ).

The GT sure is tempting, and as I said, the niggles are few and will be remedied by the aftermarket, or just folks in their garages. I'm sure someone will come up with a bracket that attaches to the engine and puts highway pegs in a decent position. It may or may not require cutting small holes in the fairing, but for the right part, I wouldn't mind doing that. And I did try the passenger pegs, but found them a little too far back and up to be able to rest my feet or just heels on easily.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 6:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Interesting, Dick. I didn't look at the bottoms of the switchgear, I just verified they were the same as on the LT. IIRC, the mounting holes were similar, but the bottoms were shaped differently such that they were a different thickness. My RS mirrors use the same mounting studs and nuts though, so I think it's just the covers that are different.

And I'm still plenty tempted to head back, or just call them directly. But I promised myself I'd at least wait until I get 100K on my LT and the new LT comes out so I could do a proper comparison, especially in terms of two-up comfort. By then, there may be a few more used GTs around. If it was just a solo bike however . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 10 Old May 17th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Using the APM from www.legalspeeding.com - this is my setup
Cool. I would swap sides though. The GPS controls on the right side of the case make it more convenient to use the right hand to mess with it. But that's just me.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in