Okay, the seat doesn't suck that bad - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 13th, 2006, 6:36 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Okay, the seat doesn't suck that bad

I guess it was just a matter of my fat ass getting accustomed to the seat on the GT. I just finished adding another 300 miles today for a total of 1000 on the odo. My butt feels just fine today, so I guess I'm breaking in the seat (or in my case, breaking the seat ).

I had the first service done at almost 700 miles, and the bike feels so much smoother after the service. 3rd thru 6th shift effortlessly and without the "notchy" feeling I described in my earlier reports. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, through neutral, and into first still feel deliberate and "notchy". But I expect that will go away over time. I leave on Wednesday for Red River, NM and should have a very nice long distance report to file following my return.

Also, gas mileage is up over 43 MPG and that includes some runs at an "undisclosed" speed. The reserve light came on at 205 miles, and the miles to empty said 36. I rode another 17 miles before getting gas. It only took 4.9 gallons. So that means there was a gallon and a half left in the tank. This bike easily has the range of the LT.

But the friggin' windshield still sucks. Tom at Cee Baileys should have a GT screen with a laminar flow flip very soon. It couldn't come soon enough.

Did I say that I love this bike? We were talking at the Hard 8 at lunch today. Someone asked me how I liked it. I thought for a second, and after being asked this question a lot over the past week and a half, I've come up with the answer for me -- The new K1200GT is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. I still hate the looks, the windshield sucks, the seat is growing on me, but from a performance/handling perspective, I have never ridden another bike that was this good. Sure the MV was a blast. The LT was so comfortable, but what do you expect from a rolling barcalounger. The RS was so smooth, but it's not the new GT. This bike is something special. The suspension inspires confidence, the handling is as tight as the MV, and the power band is perfect for a super sport tourer (however riding at 35-40 MPH is kind of a chore).

What a bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 13th, 2006, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
(however riding at 35-40 MPH is kind of a chore).
35-40 MPH is a chore?!?!

Yeah, I guess if you're in reverse, it might be!!!

BTW - does the thang have a reverse?? So they can call it a 7-speed tranny!

Noticed the other day that Cheryl's new cage is listed as 7-speed. They must not be including reverse, cuz when ya slap the shifter, it drops to 6. Them yerrmans are tricky!!
post #3 of 3 Old May 14th, 2006, 12:01 am

Unhappy Wish I Could Say the Same

Took the Grey Ghost on a 170 mile jaunt today to assure that I would have the requisite 600 miles on the odometer when I go in for my scheduled 600 mile service Wednesday. Now up to 675 miles.

As in past excursions, I have to add my observation that this is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. I cannot get over the aese with which I can carve canyons (for those of you who know Colorado, did the South St. Vrain Canyon between Lyons and Allenspark in record time - at least for me) on this bike. I KNOW I can ride this bike faster and safer than any other bike I have ever owned - Hayabusa, FJR, and LT included.

I am not having windshield issues as others have mentioned, for some reason.

But, although my REI biker shorts under my summer riding pants delayed the experience, after about 4 hours my butt was experiencing the same old pain, with finding a seat adjustment that would offset it. Just to check if it was the seat, I got home, stabled the GT, and immediately drove across town on my Rune - not known for a fabulous stock seat. The pain disappeared immediately. If I am going to ride this bike on long tours, I'm going to have to get a different seat made, or permanently affix my airhawk to the seat. Sigh.

Still nuts about the bike and ride, though.

What a motor......

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in