536 miles and nanner puddin' - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 8th, 2006, 10:41 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

536 miles and nanner puddin'

What a day! I didn't start out to do that many miles, but it just sorta turned into something longer.

First, some stats:

536 Miles
The northern portion of the Texas Cemetery Run
Talimena Skyline Drive (both ways)
2 helpings of banana pudding served by one great waitress
41.6 MPG overall
63 MPH overall
Top Speed - I cannot confirm, nor deny my actual top speed for the day

Question of the day: How long does it take the new K1200GT to pass 3 semi-trucks?
Answer: Whatever it is, it is definitely measured in NANOSECONDS

I cannot get over the acceleration this bike has. Sure, we all expect it from bikes like the K1200S and K1200R, but geez! Who would have thought you could have this much power in a full-blown touring bike. Wow!

Instead of just more of the same report I just posted yesterday, let's hit the things I didn't like.

The Seat: It sucks. Period. Since it is impossible for any manufacturer to make a seat that fits anyone, I'm not gonna hold it against BMW. We'll see how the 2000 mile trip to Red River next week turns out. I've got almost 700 miles on the bike now, and the seat isn't getting any better. But I have found something out. The lower position is actually more comfortable than the high position. I am 6'3" and you would think being in the high position was better. Not the case. Leaving it in the lower position makes it tolerable. I'll probably be talking with Ron Miller at Kontour Seats very soon.

The Windshield: It's no wonder there is such a large market for aftermarket windshields. I don't know what human being BMW used for wind tunnel testing, but I just can't seem to find that right spot to keep the wind blast or buffeting from driving me nuts. My thinking is that Cee Bailey's will make a +4 wider +4 higher with a laminar flip very soon. I'll be talking with them tomorrow on another issue, so I'll bring it up with them.

Okay, enough of the bad. Now the good.

I love ESA. Comfort/Sport/Comfort/Sport. There's lots of flat and straight between twisties in this part of the world. ESA allows the K1200GT to be a capable touring bike, and provide the sport that the K1200RS lured many of us to BMW. In conjunction with the Hossack suspension, this bike does things that are simply amazing for a big 640 pound touring bike. After spending most of the afternoon at the Talimena Skyline Drive (think of it as Cherohala Skyway, but longer), the new GT is a perfect balance of sport and touring. Normally, this is something that can't be done very well and still get both spot on.

The word is "Effortless". When it comes to steering this beast, that's the only word you can use to describe what it takes to fall into a turn. The twistier, the better. 15 and 20MPH turns were a breeze at 2 and 3 times that speed. It's amazing how well this bike response to input in even the most difficult of turns (outside decreasing radius turns, for example). David Scott switched off bikes with me on the Talimena Skyline drive, and it was amazing the difference that exists between the RS and the new GT. The refinement that BMW has put into this bike in terms of handling, steering, and suspension.

Where does BMW send the engine heat? I sure as hell couldn't find/feel it. Somehow, somewhere, BMW has set up the airflow on the new GT to dissipate heat in a way that I haven't quite figured out. I was on the bike for nearly 10 hours yesterday and couldn't feel any heat. Sure, it was 72 degrees, but still there should be some heat off the engine. Gone are the days of the K1200RS/GT cooking your leg. Someone out there at BMW really gets it. The guys at Yamaha and Honda could learn a thing or two about heat management from this new BMW.

It's the little things that catch you off guard. The cruise control is seamless. Just as on the LT and the newer RS/GT, the cruise works perfectly. And with this monster of power engine in place, there are no issues with And who would have thought a computer display could be so helpful? Finally, two trip odometers. Not that big of a deal, but once you start using them, you start to wonder why they weren't there before. MPG, average MPH, temp gauge, all at the touch of a finger.

18 miles and I wanted her back. When David Scott and I stopped in Mena for some gas, I offered to let him take the bike on the way up to the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge. It was only 18 miles, but I wanted my baby back. While the K1200RS/GT was a capable bike for its run of 1998-2006, this new generation K1200GT outclasses it in so many ways. It's funny how you can get used to certain things like the heat coming off the engine, the box-o-rox feel at idle, the lag in the old brick spinning up -- none of which you would notice if you hadn't corrupted your soul with the new K1200GT.

For those of you satisfied with your K1200RS or previous generation K1200GT, DO NOT TEST RIDE THE NEW GT. You won't be able to go back to your bike and be satisfied.

Feel free to fire off all the questions you want. I couldn't think of anything else to write, so I just threw this together. If there's something I didn't cover in the first report and this review, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 8th, 2006, 11:16 am

I have to say that there was one occasion where we encountered a line of semis with other trucks mixed in. We came to a passing zone, see I told you Jeff learned his lesson about passing on the double yellow, and Jeff took off to pass. There was another truck coming the other way and I was behind Jeff, not right behind because he took off so fast.

Jeff started to pull in in the middle of the pack and I was puzzled because I had judged that he could easily pass the complete line. Suddenly, I saw Jeff swerve back out to pass and he was done with enough room to spare that I kept the throttle on and I complete the pass also. I think the GT moved out so quickly and effortlessly that it surprised Jeff that he was so far into the pass so quickly.

As you can tell from my description Jeff had time to pass, slow down and then still out run the RS which I had under full throttle the whole time and I still wasn't that close to Jeff. I don't think either of us shifted out of 6th gear for the pass.

The RS is still a great bike but the new S, R and GT seem to have skipped a generation with such a leap forward.

David
IBA #31697
'02 K1200RS Black "Bling-Bling"
'04 Saab 9-3 Aero SS
'06 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible
post #3 of 8 Old May 9th, 2006, 2:00 pm

(First time poster)

El Jeffe;

I currenlty ride a R1150RT and am considering either an FJR of the 1200 GT.
I am 5' 7" and I can flat foot the GT. At 140 pounds, I have a great deal of difficulty getting the bike on the center stand. I rode the GT and loved it. On my 3 mile ride, I also did not like the seat.

Any suggestions to help make my decission?

Verne

post #4 of 8 Old May 9th, 2006, 3:00 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Just get it.

I am sure RonKMiller (maker of Kontour Seats) would be more than happy to fix the seat issue you have. I will wait to see after I get back from Red River to determine what I do with the seat.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 8 Old May 9th, 2006, 7:17 pm

"Box-o-rox"? You mean the 2003 K1200GT I was looking to buy was not defective because it was rattling and shaking like a cement mixer at idle?

Your new ride sure sounds sweet! Since the seat sucks, I think you should sell it to me cheap.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #6 of 8 Old May 10th, 2006, 6:18 am

ElJeffe:

My opinion.....if you do a 1000 mile trip on the OE seat, we should give you some sort of a special endurance award! I did a 40 mile demo ride of the GT on Monday. Delicious handling and power, butt(pun) the OE seat was the worst seat I have ever sat on. Passed a car on a two lane......60MPH in 6th, WOT pass.........unbelievable! Rock solid at 120 MPH too. And I thought the OE seat on my 96 RT was bad. Enjoy the new ride. Dick
post #7 of 8 Old May 10th, 2006, 6:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verne
(First time poster)

El Jeffe;

I currenlty ride a R1150RT and am considering either an FJR of the 1200 GT.
I am 5' 7" and I can flat foot the GT. At 140 pounds, I have a great deal of difficulty getting the bike on the center stand. I rode the GT and loved it. On my 3 mile ride, I also did not like the seat.

Any suggestions to help make my decission?

Verne
HAHAHAHAHAHA, only from me demo ride, but if you are comparing the fjr and new gt,

GEEE TEEE

(I'm gona steal Jeffs)

Tom <g>

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 8 Old May 10th, 2006, 6:28 am

OK WOULD YOU STOP ALREADY!

<grin>

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
What a day! I didn't start out to do that many miles, but it just sorta turned into something longer.

First, some stats:

536 Miles
The northern portion of the Texas Cemetery Run
Talimena Skyline Drive (both ways)
2 helpings of banana pudding served by one great waitress
41.6 MPG overall
63 MPH overall
Top Speed - I cannot confirm, nor deny my actual top speed for the day

Question of the day: How long does it take the new K1200GT to pass 3 semi-trucks?
Answer: Whatever it is, it is definitely measured in NANOSECONDS

I cannot get over the acceleration this bike has. Sure, we all expect it from bikes like the K1200S and K1200R, but geez! Who would have thought you could have this much power in a full-blown touring bike. Wow!

Instead of just more of the same report I just posted yesterday, let's hit the things I didn't like.

The Seat: It sucks. Period. Since it is impossible for any manufacturer to make a seat that fits anyone, I'm not gonna hold it against BMW. We'll see how the 2000 mile trip to Red River next week turns out. I've got almost 700 miles on the bike now, and the seat isn't getting any better. But I have found something out. The lower position is actually more comfortable than the high position. I am 6'3" and you would think being in the high position was better. Not the case. Leaving it in the lower position makes it tolerable. I'll probably be talking with Ron Miller at Kontour Seats very soon.

The Windshield: It's no wonder there is such a large market for aftermarket windshields. I don't know what human being BMW used for wind tunnel testing, but I just can't seem to find that right spot to keep the wind blast or buffeting from driving me nuts. My thinking is that Cee Bailey's will make a +4 wider +4 higher with a laminar flip very soon. I'll be talking with them tomorrow on another issue, so I'll bring it up with them.

Okay, enough of the bad. Now the good.

I love ESA. Comfort/Sport/Comfort/Sport. There's lots of flat and straight between twisties in this part of the world. ESA allows the K1200GT to be a capable touring bike, and provide the sport that the K1200RS lured many of us to BMW. In conjunction with the Hossack suspension, this bike does things that are simply amazing for a big 640 pound touring bike. After spending most of the afternoon at the Talimena Skyline Drive (think of it as Cherohala Skyway, but longer), the new GT is a perfect balance of sport and touring. Normally, this is something that can't be done very well and still get both spot on.

The word is "Effortless". When it comes to steering this beast, that's the only word you can use to describe what it takes to fall into a turn. The twistier, the better. 15 and 20MPH turns were a breeze at 2 and 3 times that speed. It's amazing how well this bike response to input in even the most difficult of turns (outside decreasing radius turns, for example). David Scott switched off bikes with me on the Talimena Skyline drive, and it was amazing the difference that exists between the RS and the new GT. The refinement that BMW has put into this bike in terms of handling, steering, and suspension.

Where does BMW send the engine heat? I sure as hell couldn't find/feel it. Somehow, somewhere, BMW has set up the airflow on the new GT to dissipate heat in a way that I haven't quite figured out. I was on the bike for nearly 10 hours yesterday and couldn't feel any heat. Sure, it was 72 degrees, but still there should be some heat off the engine. Gone are the days of the K1200RS/GT cooking your leg. Someone out there at BMW really gets it. The guys at Yamaha and Honda could learn a thing or two about heat management from this new BMW.

It's the little things that catch you off guard. The cruise control is seamless. Just as on the LT and the newer RS/GT, the cruise works perfectly. And with this monster of power engine in place, there are no issues with And who would have thought a computer display could be so helpful? Finally, two trip odometers. Not that big of a deal, but once you start using them, you start to wonder why they weren't there before. MPG, average MPH, temp gauge, all at the touch of a finger.

18 miles and I wanted her back. When David Scott and I stopped in Mena for some gas, I offered to let him take the bike on the way up to the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge. It was only 18 miles, but I wanted my baby back. While the K1200RS/GT was a capable bike for its run of 1998-2006, this new generation K1200GT outclasses it in so many ways. It's funny how you can get used to certain things like the heat coming off the engine, the box-o-rox feel at idle, the lag in the old brick spinning up -- none of which you would notice if you hadn't corrupted your soul with the new K1200GT.

For those of you satisfied with your K1200RS or previous generation K1200GT, DO NOT TEST RIDE THE NEW GT. You won't be able to go back to your bike and be satisfied.

Feel free to fire off all the questions you want. I couldn't think of anything else to write, so I just threw this together. If there's something I didn't cover in the first report and this review, let me know.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in