Just when you thought it was safe to go out on your new GT... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 4th, 2006, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Cool Just when you thought it was safe to go out on your new GT...

Rumor has it Kawasaki is planning a "ZX-14 Supersport-Tourer."

According to the Japanese magazine "Young Machine" (known for reliable breaking news about upcoming models) it will be based on the current 186 hp ZX-14 and dubbed the GTR1400. It will have higher handlebars, a taller windscreen, color matched saddlebags AND shaft drive.

I found about it a couple of months ago, but David made me promise not to breathe a word of it until it was published.

I think I'm going to start a new magazine dubbed "Old Fart's Machine".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 4th, 2006, 10:37 pm

Owning the ZX-11, and watching closely at all the reports on the '14'...I have also read about and been told about (from reliable sources) that the GTR1400 is in the works. Even renderings and photoshopped pics are all over the web. But until I get the official word from Kawasaki, I'm going to keep these rumors at bay. In other words...I'm afraid of what will happen if they actually do release the thing! I mean . . . I have fought off the urge to really consider the 14, but if Kaw actually releases the GTR1400 and it's "all that and a bag of chips", I may not be riding the ZX-11 very much longer.

post #3 of 10 Old May 5th, 2006, 10:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Given the good terms I'm on with the Kawaskai dealer 1 mile from my house, this bike scares me.

I've been watching its "development" for a few months now and it looks like a real contender.

My short list remains FJR1300, K1200GT (but only when used ones become available), R1200RT. Order being determined by price on my part. The $10k difference between the FJR and the GT is just too much to ignore (and yes, I know you get a lot for that $10k but come on...)

The new Kaw could change things if the price is consistant with other Kaw offerings i.e. very competitive.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."

post #4 of 10 Old May 5th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Smile

Seeing as how the Big K plant in Nebraska is stopping production of the Concours in May and pulling production back to Japan, methinks the modded ZX-14 will become the next gen Concours. At least there a bunch of Connie owners (me included) hoping that Big K is finally gonna redo the 'ol girl.

BTW, the rumor I hear is that the new Concours is on the fast track and will have an '07 release. Maybe I'll hear more at the COG National in June.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 10 Old May 5th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Do y'all think the ZX-14 will blow the GSXR-1000 out of the water?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 10 Old May 5th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Don't know about that, but the reports I've read say it beats the 'Busa.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 10 Old May 5th, 2006, 6:52 pm

In a straight line, yes. It's not what I would call a pure sportbike; the Hayabusa is a closer comparison.

Gail and I rode one at Bike Week. Of the half dozen or so test ride groups that we watched leave (12 ZX14's in each) Gail was the only SO to climb on the back of one. The tail rider walks up after and says "Wow, she's the real deal huh?" Yes, yes she is.

The 14 is fast (very very fast) and amazingly civilized. The ergos are similar to the ZZR1200, more aggressive than the FJR, but not near those of the GSXR. I would assume the GTR version would be even closer to the FJR or GT.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #8 of 10 Old May 5th, 2006, 10:33 pm
Bouncer

Todd,

There's no 10K difference between the GT and the FJR. 6K maybe, but not 10K.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 10 Old May 5th, 2006, 10:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Todd,

There's no 10K difference between the GT and the FJR. 6K maybe, but not 10K.
OK, perhaps off a tad. MSRP on the '06 FJR1300A is $13,499 but at least two major dealers are advertising them for as low as $12,299. The MSRP I've seen most often quoted on the GTs you can actually buy in this first wave is $20,385 so let's split the difference and call it $8k.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not apples to apples and I think the GT is the cat's arse but the reality is $8K will buy a heck of a lot of Ohlins and other farkles.

If and when I actually get to buy a sport touring bike (I hope within the next 12 to 18 months) I'll be shoping like crazy for a GT but if I can't find a used one, the Yamaha dealer is going to be getting a call...unless that GTR1400 turns out to be real...hmm...choices, choices...

Now, get with the ride reportin' youse!

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #10 of 10 Old May 5th, 2006, 11:55 pm

Talking Oh YEA!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in