squealing clutch on 07 k1200gt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 4th, 2013, 2:23 pm Thread Starter
rlv

squealing clutch on 07 k1200gt

I have purchased a very nice looking k1200gt with around 17,000 miles.
I have never seen such a sensitive clutch on a motorcycle.
It is either all or none with the clutch.
Most of the time when applying the clutch from a standstill to takeoff the thing squeals like crazy.
I have also noticed that the throttle is either on or off, no easing into it at all, a real bummer when applying the throttle when coming out of a curve.
Lol, also have noticed that you can be running down the road and the thing will stall, but takes right back up and goes on.
Anybody have any clues about these three problems.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 4th, 2013, 2:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: squealing clutch on 07 k1200gt

Unfortunately, all quite "normal" for that bike . . .

The 1300GT introduced some improvements to those areas. The 1300 has a completely redesigned top end and airbox/idle control valve which helps, but can't be easily retrofitted onto the 1200. The newer 1300 clutch can be retrofitted to the 1200, but it ain't cheap . . .

More good clutch squawk discussion can be found at this link.

On the fueling issues, some guys have had good luck installing a Booster Plug which tends to smooth out the on/off transitions and stalling. Or else you have to go with a full Power Commander and get it dyno-tuned.

But the first thing you need to do is make sure you have the cam chain jump guard and latest cam chain tensioner. Check with your local dealer to see if those were done on your bike. If not, get it done, as it may well save you from a munched engine . . .

More cam chain info can be found at this link.

Also, have a read through this thread to learn more than you wanted to know about the K1200GT.

If you can sort out these issues (or learn to live with them), then it really is a fine bike, honest.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 4th, 2013, 2:58 pm

My '07 K12GT has had a squealing clutch for the last 25,000 miles. When the clutch craps out, I guess I'll have it replaced. My bike also has most of the other "undocumented features" you mentioned, but they just don't bother me. As Ken said, I guess I've learned to live with them. I love this bike! I far prefer it to my last LT, due to its lower weight and higher power.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 9th, 2013, 5:56 am Thread Starter
rlv

Hey Meese and Bob, thanks for the information.
Been doing some good reading .

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 24th, 2014, 1:04 am

My clutch is fine but I had the fuel injection problems you mention plus a lot more. My dealer made some minor adjustments, but I finally installed a Power Commander and most of the problems are gone. You have to use the version for the K1200S, PC didn't make one for the GT, but many on this and the other forums have had luck with this. Mine still makes me long for carburetors but at least I don't want to give up bikes now !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in