Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 2:27 am

Re: Motorcycle News used bike review ....

Interesting article. Way to go Steve.
So, have they fixed most of these niggles? Which ones, if any carried over?
That gas mileage they mentioned for the K1300 doesn't sound good at all.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #3 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2013, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Interesting article. Way to go Steve.
So, have they fixed most of these niggles? Which ones, if any carried over?
That gas mileage they mentioned for the K1300 doesn't sound good at all.
I'm not sure I can see where they mention the gas mileage?

Just realise you mean the ad in the bottom right corner, they're calling the 23000 miles high mileage (not high gas mileage) .... the UK press is obsessed with sports bikes and 2000 miles per year is considered normal for them, so a 23000 mile bike makes them think it's high mileage Heck I did 1300 miles over the weekend on my tour of the Scottish Highlands

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 1:15 am

Well, I couldn't help but notice your avatar vs. your pic on the right side. Pro-Active seems to be working for you!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 10:31 am

Steve, I think you're right but referencing the wrong place. They talk about the rarity of this bike and resell remaining high because it wasn't produced in high numbers. They then mentioned mileage(s) averaging in the mid-teens, while comparing it to a Honda that would typically have a lot higher mileage. I didn't realize what they meant by starship miles, but it's clear as crystal now.
These are quite a bit more in price than the r1200rt. does the K1300GT have the cam tensioner issues as the K1200GT?

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 6:12 am

The 1300 addressed some of the cam chain issues. Basically there are three issues with the original 1200- no jump guard, wrong tensioner fitted, and chain tending to stretch from slapping around on starts. And there is an ongoing service campaign for the jump guard (now fitted) and dealers were told to install the better tensioner if owners complained about chain slap at start. (Both are necessary- far too many of these bikes destroyed valves from slipped chains)

Unmentioned is the early 1200s ball joint problems- diagnosed by tendency to wander in straight line which is at its worst on new tires. I've got an 06 K1200GT
that needs ball joints at only 30K miles (I ride 3 BMWs so it only gets a share of the miles)

The wedge bikes have clunky trannies also and full clutch replacement if you're an abuser is expensive.

IMO, BMW made a big mistake with the wedge bikes. They're fine if you get them sorted (though way more maintenance effort than an R bike) but had few advantages over the predecessor bike except a bit of top end horsepower and too many serious problems- no owner wants a blown motor on a brand that had previously been known for rock solid engines. My favorite engine of all the BMWs I ride is the 1200 brick when fitted with a chip to modify its lean factory programming. By the far the nicest wide power band with plenty for any normal play. This is the motor in the earlier K1200GT, The K1200 LT and the K1200RS. I ride an RS with Ohlins and it is a truly sweet ride..
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 9:04 am

Racer, are you referring to the GTs when you say "wedge" bikes?

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 11:33 am

A wedge bike is any of the K1200 or K1300 models with the transverse 4 cyl a la the J-brands. So the GT (06 and later in the U.S.) is included as are the other variants like the S, etc..
There was nothing wrong with the brick motor (flat 4) K1200 except it was losing in the hp wars to the J-brands. When BMW decided to ape the J-brands, they missed on way too many quality points in the motor and that's basically what screwed the pooch for wedge K-bikes- they earned a bad rep out of the box with reports of motors fragging when cam chains came off..
They go pretty cheaply used in the U.S. A used GS of same vintage is likely to be worth more even though more common by far.
A used wedge is for someone who knows enough mechanics to keep up with its foibles and/or can afford its higher maintenance costs and regular dealer visits.

The brick K-GT is an uncommon, under recognized gem. Most of our local club owners bought theirs new prior to 04 and keep riding them. I think I may be the only guy with a wedge K-GT in the club at present and I bought mine used for a good price, not new. All the other wedge GT owners have gone to a GS, an RT, or moved up to the 6 cyl.
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 25th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Racer7,

Very good comments. Agree completely. I had a Flying Brick myself for 11 years and 88k miles (prior to my '06 GT) and sold it for more than I bought it for used.

My "wedge" now has 50k and I'm continuing to do the upgrades that BMW decided it was in their best interst not to either engineer correctly the first time or fix.

I always say the GT is the best and the worst bike BMW ever made.

I guess BWM and Porsche are now living off their heritage versus keeping up their quality engineering. (Porsche has had many a QA problem with their 911 engines and other models)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in