Driving A 09 K1300gt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 30th, 2013, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Driving A 09 K1300gt

Picked up the GT at the end of 09 and it currently has just over 10k on it , have other bikes , went for ride tonight and felt something odd and not sure if this the nature of the beast or a sign of more problems to come.

I usually just shift and drive pretty smooth, even when accelerating , noticed tonight that if I am in gear, pretty much any gear , and hit the gas quick the bike will almost feel as if I shifted a gear.

There is a perceived lock up almost like driveshaft lash being taken up before it takes off, very subjective I realize but it will lock up hard then go , almost like I shifted into a another gear, or old school, almost like I did not use a clutch to shift.

Have other owners felt this , not sure if I am just looking for problems at this point on this bike because it being a 09 K1300GT it has spent most of its young life in the shop getting recalls and warranty work done. Of course now that it out of warr I get to pay BMW prices for the crappy replacement parts that do not last, like the switch clusters I just paid 700 dollars for.

It has been so long since I have a chance to drive it I am not sure if this is a new feeling or not.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 30th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Re: Driving A 09 K1300gt

I've ridden nothing but boxers with dry clutch since 1978 but think I've read something called "slipper clutch" may be associated with your bike.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 30th, 2013, 11:27 pm
Super Moderator

I have a 2010 K1300GT with under 6K miles and I get this feeling during hard
acceleration like the clutch slips momentarily and then locks up and away we go!! Not a
straight linear pull once you are on the gas - occur mostly in 3rd and 4th gear at the higher
torques. Bothered me at first. But I am concentrating on riding this bike smoothly and it is
a bit of a challenge and I am getting less and less of it - except when I hammer it getting
on the highway to merge under hard acceleration.

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 6:23 pm

I Hammer my 09 every day at just over 16 thousand miles, no problem no hesitation, Just little blurring of the vision and puckering at the other end. What a great bike.

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 5th, 2013, 6:37 pm

FYI -
May apply to you or may not - but - I learned that our K bike do not much like to accelerate or "kick in" when below 3k rpm. If you are engaging gears at or below 3k you will get a delayed response or as we used to refer to it in the 60s "a bau-wahhhhh" effect.

The other is if it sat around a while before you bought it. You might try some injector cleaner with next fill up. I used Lucas product and it cured mine after I bought it.

Best of luck
Calypso 2
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 29th, 2013, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso2
FYI -
May apply to you or may not - but - I learned that our K bike do not much like to accelerate or "kick in" when below 3k rpm. If you are engaging gears at or below 3k you will get a delayed response or as we used to refer to it in the 60s "a bau-wahhhhh" effect.

The other is if it sat around a while before you bought it. You might try some injector cleaner with next fill up. I used Lucas product and it cured mine after I bought it.

Best of luck
Calypso 2
i also have bought the same style i applied on it .my friends gather around me and appreciated me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in