Neutered K1300GT -clutch slipping! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2013, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Neutered K1300GT -clutch slipping!

I have a 2010 K1300GT that I purchased in June 2013 (with 11k on clock).

Shortly after purchasing it I did a quick oil/filter change (I'm anal I know) and put in Motul 300v 5w-40 oil after a good hard run.

I then did a 1,500 mile tour of Scotland with no problems

However in the last couple of days I have started experiencing severe clutch slip - most noticeable under hard acceleration in second or third gear. It's so severe in fact that it's like half the power has gone; the bike is neutered! Lots of revs and no go!

My question is, is this likely to be the Motul 300v (which I used in my K12000GT without issue) and as the 'champagne of oils' is certainly fine for a wet clutch or, is my clutch failing?

It seems odd that, if it is the oil, that I did not have any problem during my 1,500 'spirited' miles around the highlands

Does it take time for an oil to fark-up a wet clutch or is it just coincidence?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 4:46 am

Re: Neutered K1300GT -clutch slipping!

[QUOTE=dougunn]I have a 2010 K1300GT that I purchased in June 2013 (with 11k on clock).

Shortly after purchasing it I did a quick oil/filter change (I'm anal I know) and put in Motul 300v 5w-40 oil after a good hard run.

I then did a 1,500 mile tour of Scotland with no problems

However in the last couple of days I have started experiencing severe clutch slip - most noticeable under hard acceleration in second or third gear. It's so severe in fact that it's like half the power has gone; the bike is neutered! Lots of revs and no go!

My question is, is this likely to be the Motul 300v (which I used in my K12000GT without issue) and as the 'champagne of oils' is certainly fine for a wet clutch or, is my clutch failing?

It seems odd that, if it is the oil, that I did not have any problem during my 1,500 'spirited' miles around the highlands

Does it take time for an oil to fark-up a wet clutch or is it just coincidence?

I would lean towards it being the clutch given that you did 1500 miles after the oil change using recommended oil for the K series and unless you purchased from a close friend you have no idea how the previous owner used / abused the clutch - good luck it might be something else but I doubt it !
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Update . . . .

Unfortunately the problem with my clutch rapidly became so severe I had no choice but to drop my bike in with my nearby dealer - not the one who sold it to me.

Verdict . . . . the clutch is cooked i.e worn out.

As it's 'wear and tear' I'm not covered by the BMW warranty so I'm looking at 550+ for the repairs.

I spoke with the dealer who sold me the bike and they are reluctant to do anything, saying they would have liked to have seen it for themselves. Given the state of the clutch that riding it to them was not an option.

So, now I'm waiting to hear if BMW 'Goodwill' (the dealer who has the bike is speaking with them) can do anything to soften the blow. I'm not holding out much hope however.

Sheesh! 11k on a warrantied bike and it needs repairing within 6 weeks; definitely looking at a Honda next time.

Oh, and my final drive is leaking too!

J

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougunn
Update . . . .

Unfortunately the problem with my clutch rapidly became so severe I had no choice but to drop my bike in with my nearby dealer - not the one who sold it to me.

Verdict . . . . the clutch is cooked i.e worn out.

As it's 'wear and tear' I'm not covered by the BMW warranty so I'm looking at 550+ for the repairs.

I spoke with the dealer who sold me the bike and they are reluctant to do anything, saying they would have liked to have seen it for themselves. Given the state of the clutch that riding it to them was not an option.

So, now I'm waiting to hear if BMW 'Goodwill' (the dealer who has the bike is speaking with them) can do anything to soften the blow. I'm not holding out much hope however.

Sheesh! 11k on a warrantied bike and it needs repairing within 6 weeks; definitely looking at a Honda next time.

Oh, and my final drive is leaking too!

J
Bummer, but with a little luck you will get some assist from BMW and the final drive could well be just the seal - hear what the selling dealer has to say about the leak before you put anything into that yourself possibly they will cover - once clutch and seal are done you should be good to go for a long time - again " Good Luck "
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2013, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillo
Bummer, but with a little luck you will get some assist from BMW and the final drive could well be just the seal - hear what the selling dealer has to say about the leak before you put anything into that yourself possibly they will cover - once clutch and seal are done you should be good to go for a long time - again " Good Luck "
Mercifully I am told by the dealer who has the bike that the final drive will be under warranty; they believe it is just the seal.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

So, picked the bike up this evening . . . . 600 bill and no dice from BMW 'Goodwill'.

Unimpressed . .
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougunn
So, picked the bike up this evening . . . . 600 bill and no dice from BMW 'Goodwill'.

Unimpressed . .
No one is going to cover a smoked clutch!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in